Toonami

Started by Rynnec, May 21, 2012, 02:35:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Insomniac

Yes, hello.

Alas, the whole "support an action block merely because it's an action block" ideology still doesn't gel with me. The only way to support good shows is to watch good shows, not stare at bad ones with the hope that better ones will appear in their place. I'd be more charitable if I had actual proof in front of me that they couldn't afford FUNi's A-game, but the opposite seems true from what I can gather.

Daxdiv

Though I still can't help but wonder how much funding Toonami has. I mean recently we did have TOM walk around the ship during his review of Fix-It Felix Jr, so I can imagine that the budget at least for TOM is starting to get better.

But with the shows Toonami has picked up, it actually kind of makes you wonder if Beat's hatred for Kim Manning with a passion is justified or not. Considering I do remember DeMarco saying that Kim is still in charge of the scheduling. *shudders*

Rynnec

I'd say it's at least partially justified, seeing as her anti-fanservice stance, while admirable, prevents AS from picking up some otherwise decent shows.

Plus, she apparently wanted to pick up Elfen Lied.

Foggle

Rynnec

Apparently EL is "deep" enough for Kim to ignore whatever fanservice it has or something, and the only reason she didn't pick it up is because it was too violent for censors.

Spark Of Spirit

That Elfen Lied would fit and not Monster shows how wrong this block started skewing as it went on. This is the audience they built, after all, and it's not a good one. It seems they're already starting off on the wrong foot with Toonami.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Airing Monster on Toonami would be like airing Boardwalk Empire on NBC tbh...

Avaitor

Monster is too smart, and too good, for [as].

It probably was too smart and good for SyFy too, but hey.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Foggle

Quote from: Avaitor on November 06, 2012, 06:18:55 PM
Exactly. The majority of Toonami's target audience wouldn't be able to handle, or care, about something like Monster.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on November 06, 2012, 06:24:17 PM
Exactly. The majority of Toonami's target audience wouldn't be able to handle, or care, about something like Monster.
I was referring to AS, actually. AS should have built an audience for stuff like this, instead of Super Milk Chan.

Toonami already has its work cut out for it due to the general lack of action cartoons these days that would fit.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on November 06, 2012, 06:26:42 PM
I was referring to AS, actually. AS should have built an audience for stuff like this, instead of Super Milk Chan.
I mean, they have tried smarter series than they usually air, but just about any anime that isn't a shonen or Bebop bombs for them.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Avaitor on November 06, 2012, 06:30:40 PM
I mean, they have tried smarter series than they usually air, but just about any anime that isn't a shonen or Bebop bombs for them.
Yeah, I get that, but that's mostly because the audience for said anime are teenagers and not actually adults. Now that Toonami is back there's even less of a difference between the two blocks.

But that aside, I don't watch either block anymore.

Rynnec

Quote from: Avaitor on November 06, 2012, 06:30:40 PM

Trigun and Champloo worked out pretty well for them, it's more that any anime that's more talky and plot-oriented that's not FMA doesn't do well. That may have changed with Samurai 7's and Casshern's moderate sucess, but who knows?

Avaitor

Casshern was a success? I thought it bombed hard.

New blog!

Dr. Insomniac

Why did Tatsunoko even remake Casshern anyway? I don't remember a single hint of clamoring for that to return before Sins was airing in Japan. I thought people would be getting them to remake Gatchaman or something instead.