Toonami

Started by Rynnec, May 21, 2012, 02:35:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Avaitor on March 11, 2013, 10:27:43 PM
Well with Toonami having One Piece, this means that they have what, a decade's worth of material to show that could easily go to something else that's more worthy of a try for the block, with considerably less episodes. And even if the show isn't as big in the US as it is in Japan, I'd still think that it would be more expensive to air than most anime, considering that it is still fairly popular and that Toei is very picky.

It seems like a rather poor choice the more I think about it.

Eh, Are you sure its really all that expensive for them to acquire? I figured that FUNimation, who has the distribution rights to One Piece over here in the states, would let Toonami air it for relatively cheap. I don't really know exactly how the pricing works, but I have a feeling that FUNimation has more of an influence of how much it costs to air OP over here than Toei does. Besides, being that One Piece isn't that huge of a success in any country outside of Japan (at least not that I know of), its possible that Toei doesn't charge all that much for licensing fees. But once again, maybe I'm wrong about that.

Avaitor

I'm not 100% sure how distribution works either, but I know that ever since 4Piece happened, Toei has been more hands-on about how their shows are distributed ever since. This probably includes pricing, as well.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: Lord Dalek on March 11, 2013, 10:31:50 AM
Its not going to work because only fanboys like the show. The manga doesn't sell (only two volumes in the top 50 last year, and both scraping the bottom at that), the merchandise (when they were doing it) never sold, and it putting it on at 2 AM will not create some sort of magical awareness.

Time to face facts... this show failed.... twice, and there just isn't enough of an audience keeping it from failing a third time.

One Piece is an uncontestable commercial failure in the U.S., but it did just fine in ratings back when it was on Cartoon Network. Heck, they re-ran the series frequently in good timeslots outside of Toonami until early 2007, and in the end Cartoon Network, between May 2005 through March 2008, aired all 104 episodes of the 4Kids dub and 24 episodes of the FUNimation dub, and never tried to burn off episodes in dead slots like what they did to Yu Yu Hakusho and Gundam Seed. And this was back when Cartoon Network wasn't afraid to pull anime series from their air at the drop of a hat if they weren't satisfied with the ratings, like Zatch Bell. One Piece may never have sold well in merchandise, but honestly, what other anime on Toonami really did except for Naruto and Dragonball Z?

I don't think anyone expects One Piece to get higher ratings than what Bleach is getting, but I don't think it'll be a ratings flop either. I do think it will average over a million viewers, and keep that consistently, which is why I don't think there isn't any problem for Toonami airing it.

Daikun

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: Daikun on March 15, 2013, 09:46:11 PM
Sweet-ass EVA promo just before the premiere!

Wow. Awesome they could make one at the last minute! I dare say that's a better promo than FUNimation's own trailer for the movie. The fact that it's nearly two minutes long is great too.  ;D

Can't wait to watch this movie tomorrow. :)

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

So, I did actually manage to catch the movie last night. I had watched about half of it before this point, but never finished it, so this is the first time I got to see it in full. Overall, it was OK, but I just can't really see the point in it as it was just a re-tread of stuff from the TV series with better animation. Only very few scenes were original material to the movie, which made it seem kind of like a cash-in more than a remake of the story. That said, to be fair, it was still good material that was adapted, so I enjoyed the movie for what it was. I'd like it if the 2nd movie and subsequent Eva movies have more to differentiate them from the TV series, however, and branch off to some radically new material that gives their existence an actual purpose to them.

Avaitor

The second differentiates more from the source material, and in very nice ways. It's a lot better than the first and totally worth watching. I'm still waiting for 3.33 to come out before I see the third, though.

I think 1.11 remains so faithful to the first few episodes because the show started off with Anno's vision down almost perfectly. Things didn't start to go haphazard until a little after Gainax went along.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Daikun

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on March 17, 2013, 02:05:09 PMSo, I did actually manage to catch the movie last night. I had watched about half of it before this point, but never finished it, so this is the first time I got to see it in full. Overall, it was OK, but I just can't really see the point in it as it was just a re-tread of stuff from the TV series with better animation. Only very few scenes were original material to the movie, which made it seem kind of like a cash-in more than a remake of the story.

Mr. Anno is making these movies for a reason: He fucked up the first time and he's correcting his mistakes. (Think George Lucas, only with talent.)

When the original NGE was in production, Anno dealt with crippling depression and a shriveled budget, which badly affected the latter half of the series (and, by extension, End of Evangelion). A lot of time has passed since then; he's over his depression now and is happily married.

Now that he's feeling better, he wants to tell the story as he originally wanted to intend it. He didn't want to deal with all that busy work of making 26 half-hour episodes all over again, so he went the movie route, which is more time-effective and provides a bigger budget.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Maybe so, but I'll have to see the 2nd and 3rd movies to see what Anno's "true vision" for this series was. I was just commenting on how the first film was really faithful to the beginning of the TV series, but Avaitor already gave me a good explanation for that.

Spark Of Spirit

The second movie basically makes most of the second half of the series redundant. Every change in that is for the better.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Quote from: Daikun on March 17, 2013, 06:54:18 PM
Mr. Anno is making these movies for a reason: He fucked up the first time and he's correcting his mistakes. (Think George Lucas, only with talent.)

When the original NGE was in production, Anno dealt with crippling depression and a shriveled budget, which badly affected the latter half of the series (and, by extension, End of Evangelion). A lot of time has passed since then; he's over his depression now and is happily married.

Now that he's feeling better, he wants to tell the story as he originally wanted to intend it. He didn't want to deal with all that busy work of making 26 half-hour episodes all over again, so he went the movie route, which is more time-effective and provides a bigger budget.
I take it you haven't seen 3.0 yet.

Lord Dalek

1.1 = really good
2.2 = FRICKEN A-MAY-ZING
3.0 = ..................................why god... why?

Foggle

Quote from: Lord Dalek on March 17, 2013, 07:49:50 PM
1.1 = really good
2.2 = FRICKEN A-MAY-ZING
Indeed. If 3.0 really is closer to Anno's original vision than NGE was, then I dare say that Anno's original vision was fairly shit.

Lord Dalek

Quote from: Foggle on March 17, 2013, 07:59:44 PM
Quote from: Lord Dalek on March 17, 2013, 07:49:50 PM
1.1 = really good
2.2 = FRICKEN A-MAY-ZING
Indeed. If 3.0 really is closer to Anno's original vision than NGE was, then I dare say that Anno's original vision was fairly shit.
See the thing is I thought we already got his "original vision" (you know... before they ran out of money) with End of Eva, so why are they doing this completely different BS ending? IT MAK-AH NO SENSE!

Peanutbutter

According to this, they may NOT start over from the beginning. They might pick up where they left off or go to season 4.

Link: http://toonamialliance.wordpress.com/?p=93&preview=true

A good idea, if true. I watched One Piece from the beginning around last year, so I don't mind if they pick up at Skypeia again.