Toonami

Started by Rynnec, May 21, 2012, 02:35:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Dalek

Yeah but I think Sean and Jason actively despised .hack.

Daikun

The Toonami Tumblr had a Q&A today. Here's one notable response about SAO:

QuoteWe watched a few (no, not all) episodes, reached an agreement, and now we're premiering the show in August!

That explains so much...

Dr. Insomniac

Avaitor

Also, the poll Aniplex put up on their Facebook page? Meant shit.

Toonami didn't want it, Toonami didn't consider it.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Insomniac

If anyone needs a sign that Toonami does not care for what you want, here you go.

Rynnec

So how long til we see Guilty Crown and Elfen Lied on Toonami?

Dr. Insomniac

Latter, never. Former, in a few months.

TheEclecticDude

Quote from: Daikun on May 27, 2013, 09:03:10 PM
The Toonami Tumblr had a Q&A today. Here's one notable response about SAO:

QuoteWe watched a few (no, not all) episodes, reached an agreement, and now we?re premiering the show in August!

That explains so much...

Just a few episodes? Im curious as to what other shows they 'sample' alongside SAO and ended up picking SAO. Might be worth looking into.

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on May 27, 2013, 09:18:09 PM
If anyone needs a sign that Toonami does not care for what you want, here you go.

Apparently there were people who wanted Sword Art Online on Toonami. Why I do not know and do not wish to know.

Well... at least I still have my One Piece/Soul Eater hour. One Piece being on U.S. television again is especially nice after all these years of waiting. I just wish there was more than an hour of the block that was premiering good shows.  :-\

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I know I sound like a broken record at this point, but I REALLY wish the block was able to get Black Lagoon. Once again, I know its just wishful thinking. I'm sure they'd have a hard time getting the rights to it, and even if they could they probably couldn't afford it or something like that. I'm just saying that in a fantasy line-up, this series would be a perfect fit for the current Toonami.

I also wish that FUNimation would license the new Hunter X Hunter and allow Toonami to air it. That'd please the shonen demographic for that block just fine, I'm sure. But, people have clearly shown that they don't give a shit about that series, which is understandable, but also a bummer for me. :-\

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on May 27, 2013, 10:53:37 PM
I know I sound like a broken record at this point, but I REALLY wish the block was able to get Black Lagoon. Once again, I know its just wishful thinking. I'm sure they'd have a hard time getting the rights to it, and even if they could they probably couldn't afford it or something like that. I'm just saying that in a fantasy line-up, this series would be a perfect fit for the current Toonami.

Yeah, Black Lagoon is something I want them to air too, if only because the block needs a really good "adult" series right now with a lot of casual appeal, for variety's sake. I don't think it would be too expensive for them to get, at least not more so than freaking One Piece or even Soul Eater. My guess is that they are avoiding it because there is too much profanity and violence to be acceptable for air under their broadcast standards, which is a shame.  :-\

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on May 27, 2013, 10:53:37 PM
I also wish that FUNimation would license the new Hunter X Hunter and allow Toonami to air it. That'd please the shonen demographic for that block just fine, I'm sure. But, people have clearly shown that they don't give a shit about that series, which is understandable, but also a bummer for me. :-\

I still have no idea why no one has licensed the new Hunter X Hunter yet. By the end of it's first year, FUNimation licensed Toriko for a dub, so why not Hunter X Hunter? I wish they get on this sooner. At this point I'll accept Viz dubbing it, but FUNimation's dubbing is way more consistent and top notch than them for me, so I'm still hoping...

Rynnec

Hunter X Hunter would make be the perfect show to air once Bleach ends next year, I'll honestly be suprised if it doesn't eventually end up on Toonami, along with JJBA.

Unfortunately for Black Lagoon, seinen (or seinen-esque shows) that aren't GitS usually don't do that well on [as] apparently. Even Samurai Champloo didn't do good in the ratings, according to the tumblr. This is probably why Toonami's mostly airing shounenshit now.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Yeah, having to bleep out all of those F-words could be a problem, but if they could get away with just that it would certainly make the show unintentionally hilarious at times. :sly:

As for HXH, I do NOT want Viz to get their hands on the new one. Have you seen their dub for the 1999 series? Its atrocious, and shows me that if a series isn't incredibly popular on the level of Naruto or Bleach, then they won't give a shit about the quality of work that goes into translating and dubbing it. I'd rather the series not be licensed at all than have Viz get their hands on it. If FUNimation got it, though, that'd be a dream. All they'd have to do to advertise it is to say that its based on a manga from the same creator/author of YYH, and I'm sure that'd at least get a decent number of people on board and pumped for the series.

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: Rynnec on May 27, 2013, 11:10:20 PM
Unfortunately for Black Lagoon, seinen (or seinen-esque shows) that aren't GitS usually don't do that well on [as] apparently. Even Samurai Champloo didn't do good in the ratings, according to the tumblr. This is probably why Toonami's mostly airing shounenshit now.

Actually, Samurai 7 managed to do pretty well for itself after a few weeks into it's run. It broke over a million about three times I think and got solid ratings for it's timeslot otherwise. I wouldn't consider it a total failure, and the Toonami crew was probably happy with it too. It did way better than Casshern Sins ever did.

:srs: at the idea One Piece and Soul Eater are "shit." I think they are much better than a lot of their contemporaries, even though they are somewhat lesser in storytelling quality than some of the classics like  Dragonball, Yu Yu Hakusho, Rurouni Kenshin, and Jojo's Bizzare Adventure (although I like One Piece a little more than them myself for an assortment of personal reasons).

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on May 27, 2013, 11:12:36 PM
Yeah, having to bleep out all of those F-words could be a problem, but if they could get away with just that it would certainly make the show unintentionally hilarious at times. :sly:

I think there are so many of them it would actually detract from the experience if they were constantly being bleeped out. At some point it might not be funny anymore and just be annoying or obnoxious.  :sweat:

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on May 27, 2013, 11:12:36 PM
As for HXH, I do NOT want Viz to get their hands on the new one. Have you seen their dub for the 1999 series? Its atrocious, and shows me that if a series isn't incredibly popular on the level of Naruto or Bleach, then they won't give a shit about the quality of work that goes into translating and dubbing it. I'd rather the series not be licensed at all than have Viz get their hands on it. If FUNimation got it, though, that'd be a dream. All they'd have to do to advertise it is to say that its based on a manga from the same creator/author of YYH, and I'm sure that'd at least get a decent number of people on board and pumped for the series.

Yeah...Viz's dub for 1999 is pretty mediocre. I though whoever did Hisoka did a good job, but Gon and Killua especially...just ugh:gonk:

To be honest, the only dub of Viz's I think I really like is Ranma 1/2's, because it somehow made even some of the subpar material very funny for me. It's Viz's best dub, in my opinion, or at least from what I've seen. Maison Ikkoku or Hikaru no Go!would probably be the second best, and what I've seen of Tiger and Bunny's is quite respectable. I guess Bleach's is okay, but I hate post-Soul Society Bleach so I can't care, Naruto and InuYasha's dubs annoy me (although I don't even like 'em in Japanese either), and I can only enjoy Zatch Bell's dub thanks to nostalgia. As for everything else I've seen them do, they've all been really mediocre or pretty bad. Aside from their Dragonball Z dub, FUNimation completely outclasses them in having consistent, high-quality dub work, which is why whenever there is a great new anime that comes out I really pray for FUNimation to get it.

:sweat: Kinda rambled about Viz there, but uh, yeah. FUNimation needs to dub Hunter X Hunter. Stat.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

According to this video, there are 259 uses of the F-word in the English dub for Black Lagoon.

If you divide that by 24 episodes, that makes for close to 11 uses of the F-word per episode on average. I honestly don't think that's overkill. That's like a single F-word every 2 minutes (though in actuality, you'll get several uses within the span of a minute or 2, and then no uses for most of the rest of the episode). I honestly don't think that would be overkill, myself. I think there have even been some South Park episodes with more bleeped out F-words than that.

As for Viz, I actually REALLY like their dub of Death Note, which IMO is their best one.

Their HXH dub is also worse than mediocre. I think its atrocious in the worst way possible. The voice-actors sound bored and clearly don't give a shit. At least with horrendous voice-acting where the VA's play its straight but just suck, it has a hilarious quality to it. With the HXH dub that Viz gave us, you get the sense that the VA's could have done better than they did, but obviously weren't even trying and just wanted a quick pay-check for no effort at all. I hate those kinds of dubs the most, as it shows now respect for the material that they are working with and is a big fuck-you to the fans who were looking forward to hearing the series in English. Personally, the Viz dub for HXH (1999) was a HUGE disappointment for me.