Toonami

Started by Rynnec, May 21, 2012, 02:35:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rynnec

Doesn't S7 count as a shounen? It certainly feels like it's for that demographic (especially with the kid characters and the designs of the villagers).

Shounenshit was more or less just a general term. I know there are plenty of good shounen out there that are the shit, but most of the ones that are popular today are just plain ol' shit.

Viz dubbing HXH could be good if they use a studio other than Blue Water (Other than G Gundam and Megaman X, I don't think BW has turned out any good performances) like Bang Zoom, Studiopolis, or even Ocean. But for the most part, I'd rather have Funi dub it, if only because they did YYH.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I've never heard the term shounenshit before, but its now my new favorite word. :thumbup:

LumRanmaYasha

Oh, I guess then maybe they could get away with it, although I thought there was more profanity than that though from what I remembered.  :sweat: However, "shit," "pussy," "cunt," and "dick" would also need to be censored as well, but if there really were only 11 f-bombs an episode, maybe it would still be manageable.

Quote from: Rynnec on May 27, 2013, 11:49:16 PM
Doesn't S7 count as a shounen? It certainly feels like it's for that demographic (especially with the kid characters and the designs of the villagers).

Maybe it's shounen, I dunno. It really falls into the same category as Casshern Sins of not being easily recognizable in being part of a clear-cut kid or adult demographic.

Quote from: Rynnec on May 27, 2013, 11:49:16 PM
Shounenshit was more or less just a general term. I know there are plenty of good shounen out there that are the shit, but most of the ones that are popular today are just plain ol' shit.

I can concur. Aside from One Piece, Case Closed, and Toriko there aren't any currently running shounen manga that I really like these days. Although I've heard good things about Kuroko no Basket, One-Man Punch,and Sket Dance, Medaka Box is fun from what I've read of it, and Attack on Titan is awesome, so I'll probably check those out or read more of them sometime when I get the chance too.

Lord Dalek

Quote from: Daikun on May 27, 2013, 09:03:10 PM
The Toonami Tumblr had a Q&A today. Here's one notable response about SAO:

QuoteWe watched a few (no, not all) episodes, reached an agreement, and now we're premiering the show in August!

That explains so much...
Yeah odds are they didn't witness the "greatness" that is Fairy Dance.

Rynnec

LumRanmaYasha

You gotta love [adult swim]'s sense of humor.   :sweat:

Daikun

Sunday, June 9, 2013 Total Viewers 2+
12:00- Bleach: 1,405,000
12:30- Naruto: 1,336,000
1:00- One Piece: 1,127,000
1:30- Soul Eater: 1,056,000
2:00- IGPX: 985,000
2:30- Eureka 7: 869,000
3:00- Thundercats: 812,000
3:30- Sym-Bionic Titan: 874,000
4:00- FMA: Brotherhood: 886,000
4:30- Cowboy Bebop: 836,000
5:00- Inuyasha: 914,000
5:30- Inuyasha: 866,000

LumRanmaYasha

After all these years, and reruns, InuYasha can still pull in good numbers. Over 900,000 at 5am, jeez....

[adult swim], air the damn Final Act already. It's fans have waited long enough, and numbers like these for overplayed fucking reruns seem to kinda justify the cost.

In any case, these are easily the best numbers Toonami has ever gotten since the revival. Even IGPX nearly broke a million, at 2am! Even if I don't care for this lineup aside from the 1am hour, it'd be nice to see these kinds of numbers consistently in the future.

LumRanmaYasha

LumRanmaYasha

The new Toonami lineup starting July 27th.

12:00AM - Bleach
12:30AM - Naruto
01:00AM - One Piece
01:30AM - Soul Eater
02:00AM - Sword Art Online
02:30AM - IGPX: Immortal Grand Prix
03:00AM - Eureka 7
03:30AM - Big O Season 2
04:00AM - Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
04:30AM - Cowboy Bebop
05:00AM - InuYasha
05:30AM - InuYasha

Thank god Sword Art Online is premiering later in the night at a time I can avoid it. I still wished they never picked it up in the first place though.

I'm glad at least that the One Piece/Soul Eater hour is unchanged. I can easily just go to sleep after watching them. Like, I'll miss out on IGPX I guess but I honestly I'm finding that show very boring and uninteresting so I'm not too reluctant to drop it at this point.

I'm disappointed they are airing The Big O season 2 again without having managed to reacquire season 1, but The Big O is awesome and you don't need season one to enjoy season 2 for the most part. Although, I'm surprised that they are airing The Big O instead of Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex again since Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex has more episodes, but I can clearly see that they want to keep a Giant Robot Hour in the block.

With Sword Art Online coming this early, I wonder what will replace Eureka 7 in August. It's also very strange that Thundercats and Sym-Bionic Titan are both gone from the lineup...I hope that they still have the ability to reair them in the future because while I've seen them enough times as it is and neither one is particularly a favorite of mine they are nice fodder for reruns and are a better alternative to more Cowboy Bebop and InuYasha reruns.

Rynnec

Looks like the "mystery show" will come in August then. I would've taken over FLCL or even GitS over Big O,  if they can't air the first season then what's the point?

Oh, and they've lost the rights to Thundercats.

LumRanmaYasha

FLCL would only last six weeks though, so my guess is that they'll only run it if they need a small amount of time to buy until a slot opens up for a different show. I would have preferred the return of Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex as well, but it's pretty clear that they wanted to keep a Giant Robot Hour within the block, and I like Big O, so whatever. I am disappointed they are running season 2 without getting season 1 back, because the series really is meant to be watched in order, but hopefully one of these days they really will get season 1 back.

As far as Thundercats's expiration goes, I honestly don't really feel the loss but I am concerned at the loss of a show usable for the block's rerun hours. Maybe they can compensate by snatching The Secret Saturdays or Samurai Jack from Boomerang, but neither are very likely. I guess we are just going to have to accept consecutive Cowboy Bebop reruns and an hour of InuYasha reruns for quite a while....   :imnothappy:

Peanutbutter

Quote from: Rynnec on June 26, 2013, 07:03:40 PM
Looks like the "mystery show" will come in August then. I would've taken over FLCL or even GitS over Big O,  if they can't air the first season then what's the point?

Oh, and they've lost the rights to Thundercats.

Which means definitely no chance for a revival of it. Somewhere, VileOne is sobbing into his pillow.   :lol:

LumRanmaYasha

There was never any hope for a continuation of Thundercats; the crew had disbanded months before the last episode aired on Cartoon Network and moved to other jobs. Not that it really earned it because honestly that last half squandered it's plot too much with filler and otherwise uneven pacing and Pumyra, who is just an unpleasant character in every aspect. I didn't think it was all that awful, but it still wasn't all that good. I do love the episode where Tigra meets his clan though and the Soul Severer episode. Those were probably the best episodes of the season, but they were also filler, which is disappointing (well, I did also really like the episode with Ratar-O and the Trials of Lion-O, two-parter, but most of the actual plot episodes weren't really good).

Peanutbutter

As I suspected, his tears are most delicious.....

QuoteAlso take my advice and not compare this show to Avatar. You will be laughed at. You will be destroyed. It's not worth it, and above all they're not comparable.

How about you go fuck yourself? I was just going to let this all go until I read that. I am sick of your bullshit both here and in other threads. You don't like the show? Fine. But quit acting like your opinion is the fucking consensus that everyone agrees with like some arrogant asshole, and especially quit taking a shit on anything you don't like. There's a difference between criticizing and hating, and all I see from you is hate.

I made the comparison to Avatar, and I will keep making those comparisons because they are there. I like this show, a lot, it gave me something to think about. I have seen Avatar, the DCAU, Young Justice, and an ass load of other cartoons generally considered high quality by fans, so I like to believe I can make a good judgement over the quality of an animated show and don't blindly love every fucking thing. This reboot is my favorite, not just favorite cartoon but favorite piece of entertainment in a very long time, and it's probably going to be my favorite for a long time to come. I and others have analyzed the themes and the characters and have found plenty to like about this show. If this was as shitty a show as you claim, I doubt it's trope pages would be as large as they are. Every week on tumblr I see people live-blogging about the show when it airs on Toonami and lamenting about it being canceled. The guys at Toonami clearly think it's good enough to be on their block.

You think I'll get laughed at and destroyed by comparing this to the Sacred Cow that is Avatar? Well fuck you and any snob who thinks that way. I STILL have yet to see you give an GOOD argument as to why I can't, or why I'm wrong. All I see you post is a bunch of meaningless, unconstructive shit. Is Avatar a better cartoon? Yeah, probably, but it's not incomparable, because clearly I HAVE compared it, here and on Avatar forums. And you are the ONLY person I've ever seen to try and give me shit for making the comparison, which to me just makes you look like an asshole who doesn't know what the hell he's talking about.

And yeah, Lion-O getting a bunch of races working with him is worth a few flying shits because of all the fucking racial tensions built up over centuries, so it's really important to see them working together. The races working together in the original series doesn't mean much if they were always living together peacefully. That's the fucking silver lining in the crashed cloud city, because it's showing that there's still some fucking hope, but I guess you're so busy being a blind hater about everything that you can't even fucking see that. You don't even bother giving an explanation why you think reboot Lion-O is a terrible messiah, you just go in believing it and that's what you see. And again, you over exaggerate character flaws that Lion-O and Tygra developed out of by the time of the trials. You know how many episodes Lion-O bitches and moans about Cheetara and Tygra? Fucking 2. Episodes 14, and 15. You could count episode 9, but that was barely anything. And Tygra gets over most of his shit right after 13.

The old Thundercats is still not that good just because it had a great intro. Even compared to other 80s cartoons like G.I. Joe it's writing wasn't as good. I haven't even seen much G.I. Joe and I already know it has much better continuity and character development from the very few episodes I've watched. Lion-O's trials in the original were some of my favorites, but in the end everything more or less goes back to the way it was. For such an important story arc, it didn't feel like much had changed or progressed by the next episode. At least with the reboot when Lion-O completes his trial he has his soul on the line, at least he offers to make an ultimate sacrifice worse than death. And at least by the end of the reboot's season there's some progress with the war effort because now he's got some allies when no one thought that was possible. At least there's some fucking significance behind that and things would have been different if it continued.

None of your shit is EVER going to change my opinion of this show. Whether you fucking like it or not, not everyone shares your shitty hateful opinions, and your shitty opinion isn't a fact no matter how much you bitch about it or try to act smug about it. Even people who don't like something can at least act with some fucking courtesy, of which you seem to have little of. At least when I hate something, like Dm C, I can at least try to give a good explanation as to WHY. That's one thing that separates good opinions from bad ones, and why I find your opinions terrible.

And a flaw still isn't a fact, a flaw for a fucking TV show is something that you have to personally find negative, as in an opinion, and just because in your opinion it's heavily flawed does not mean others see it as flawed. You can explain WHY you don't like it, but you can't undeniably prove that something MUST be disliked, especially when it comes to something as subjective as fictional entertainment, so it's not a fact. Maybe the show is flawed, but you've proven to me that you're such a blind hater clinging so hard to the fucking nostalgia that nothing can please you and you refuse to see anything positive after already deciding your opinion.

Rant over. Sorry, but that really pissed me off, and I really needed to vent that.