Toonami

Started by Rynnec, May 21, 2012, 02:35:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LumRanmaYasha

A dumb fanboy rant, although he does have the right to like whatever he likes, but he also needs to understand whoever he's addressing has the right to dislike whatever he dislikes.

I do agree with this sentiment though:

And a flaw still isn't a fact, a flaw for a TV show is something that you have to personally find negative, as in an opinion, and just because in your opinion it's heavily flawed does not mean others see it as flawed. You can explain WHY you don't like it, but you can't undeniably prove that something MUST be disliked, especially when it comes to something as subjective as fictional entertainment

Avaitor

Where did he post this?
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Cartoon X on June 27, 2013, 12:12:43 AM
A dumb fanboy rant, although he does have the right to like whatever he likes, but he also needs to understand whoever he's addressing has the right to dislike whatever he dislikes.

I do agree with this sentiment though:

And a flaw still isn't a fact, a flaw for a TV show is something that you have to personally find negative, as in an opinion, and just because in your opinion it's heavily flawed does not mean others see it as flawed. You can explain WHY you don't like it, but you can't undeniably prove that something MUST be disliked, especially when it comes to something as subjective as fictional entertainment
Except plot holes.

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on June 27, 2013, 12:24:19 AM
Except plot holes.

That's true. But I feel the opinion is valid for more subjective things like liking certain characters/characterizations, plot developments (barring ones that cause plot holes), etc.

Peanutbutter

@Cartoon X: Even an idiotic punk like him can like whatever he wants, true. But he's entitled to an informed opinion, not an ignorant one. Anyway, my point in quoting him was showing how pathetic he is when he gets overly defensive. As well as of course his hypocrisy, considering he sicced 4Chan on GregX's blog.

Quote from: Avaitor on June 27, 2013, 12:13:32 AM
Where did he post this?

TV Tropes' forum. In the Western Animation section.

Daikun

I wonder what they're going to do once Eureka 7 ends. By the time SAO premieres, that show will only have 3 episodes left. It just seems like it would be easier to make SAO the replacement for E7, then the Toonami crew won't have to worry about sudden schedule changes for a while.

As for the return of Big O... :srs: Really? They had to bring back the overplayed shitty season? I know they have the perpetual rights to it, but couldn't they wait for Sunrise to auction off season 1 first?

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: Peanutbutter on June 27, 2013, 02:30:44 AM
@Cartoon X: Even an idiotic punk like him can like whatever he wants, true. But he's entitled to an informed opinion, not an ignorant one. Anyway, my point in quoting him was showing how pathetic he is when he gets overly defensive.

Of course I agree with this and I understood why you quoted him in the first place. I should've made my own stance more clear in my original reply since it reads more as a defense than a condemnation.

Quote from: Daikun on June 27, 2013, 03:45:59 AM
I wonder what they're going to do once Eureka 7 ends. By the time SAO premieres, that show will only have 3 episodes left. It just seems like it would be easier to make SAO the replacement for E7, then the Toonami crew won't have to worry about sudden schedule changes for a while.

Well, there's always that mystery show they keep talking about. Most people are speculating that's what will replace Eureka 7 come August. If it's not coming that early, nothing's stopping them from bringing in Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex or Sym-Bionic Titan or Fooly Cooly back for another rotation.

In either case the schedule wouldn't change that much. If we get the mystery show than all I expect to happen is IGPX moving down to the 3am slot to keep the Giant Robot Hour a thing, while the mystery show gets 2:30am. If we aren't getting the mystery show, the 3am slot will just be taken up by whatever they choose to rerun. It wont be any more drastic a lineup change than the gap between the inclusion of IGPX and One Piece into the lineup (a similar gap of three weeks).

As for the return of Big O... :srs: Really? They had to bring back the overplayed shitty season? I know they have the perpetual rights to it, but couldn't they wait for Sunrise to auction off season 1 first?

Well, personally I love both seasons of The Big O about equally, so any The Big O is good The Big O as far as I'm concerned. I do agree the second season was overplayed in the past and share the disappointment in their inability to recover the rights to the first season before reairing it. But c'est la vie. Hopefully in the future they will get season 1 back but as it is it has been over a year since season 2 of The Big O has been played so one run now isn't going to hurt anything.

Lord Dalek

but couldn't they wait for Sunrise to auction off season 1 first?
You're assuming an AS friendly company will be the one to get grab Big O if and when it comes up.

Daikun

Quote from: Lord Dalek on June 27, 2013, 01:33:53 PMYou're assuming an AS friendly company will be the one to get grab Big O if and when it comes up.

I would say it's the most likely scenario. Unless there are other companies I'm overlooking, Sentai is the only company that has a strained relationship with CN/AS. Everyone else is fair game.

LumRanmaYasha

It'd be ideal if Funimation got it since out of all of them they seem to have the best relationship with [adult swim] now.

LumRanmaYasha

Notable responses from today's Tumblr Q&A session.

QuoteQuote: So what made you decide to pick Sword Art Online? Was it because it reminded you of .hack// sign?

Answer: No, we picked it because a) many, many toonami fans asked us to pick it up, b) we watched as many eps as we could and liked it and felt it was a good fit, and c) our friends at Aniplex made us an offer we couldn?t refuse!

QuoteQuestion: What was behind the decision to air SAO after Soul Eater? Since it's a dub premier, I imagined it'd be in a much better position airing after the big 3. Is this purely based on Soul Eater's ratings or is it more involved than that?

Answer: It?s based on the fact that historically, the more stable our lineup has been, the better the ratings have been. We think this is because a stable lineup makes it easier to form habit tv watching. For this reason, we didn?t want to move any of our first four shows that are working so well, even for a premiere like SAO. That said, if it does really well, it might move up earlier!

Question: Someone is gonna ask this anyway so I figured I get it out the way. There is 1 or 2 minute tentacle scene in sword art online and some think its going turn away viewers. Do you agree that is stupid?

Answer: We aren?t worried about that scene turning away viewers, at all.

:srs:

Question: Do you have any concerns about the incest subplot in Sword Art Online?

Answer: Not particularly, no.

:unimpressed: :devil:

Question: Still willing to defend Tenchi Muyo GXP?

Answer: We don?t feel a need to! It aired, it did fine, some liked it, some didn?t. Same as most shows! We enjoyed it.

:whuh:  :??:

Question: With Toonami back action shows are more focused than ever, but what does this mean about other adult themed genres like mystery shows who, in the past, found its way onto AS?

Answer: It means you?ll see less of that type of show, sorry. ;)

Guess we won't be getting shows like Kids on the Slope anytime soon then... :(

Question: Hey Toonami crew! If you don't mind me asking, what was the hardest show (pre or post 2012) to acquire for Toonami?

Answer: IGPX

Question: Will IGPX get a second run or will you lose the rights after this run?

Answer: We should be able to run it for the forseeable future.

Meh.

Question: Any plans to review any Nintendo titles soon?

Answer: The Wii U is hard to capture footage with, and only two of the Toonami crew own one, so it?s taking some time! We?re working on it.

QuoteQuestion: Ten years ago, Toyfare published an article regarding the Zeta Gundam dub from Bandai, claiming that it was not going to just air in edited form on Cartoon Network, but again in uncut form on Adult Swim. Can you shed any light on why that never came to be?

Answer: Sure. That never happened because CN cancelled Mobile Suit Gundam due to low ratings. This of course lead Bandai to stop the Zeta dub, since it wasn?t clear they could get Zeta on American TV at that point!

QuoteQuestion: Maybe you can clear this up for me. I've been told that [as] produced the second season of Ghost In The Shell, but I don't see Williams Street or Turner listed anywhere in the production committee. Is this true or is my leg being pulled?

Answer: Adult Swim helped fund both Seasons of GITS but did not ?produce" the show. They just helped paid for it as a production partner

QuoteQuestion: With the rights to the thundercats lost and titan taking a break there wont be any American cartoons on toonami for a while. Does that concern you and you think it be better to stick to Anime only?

Answer: It?s not ideal, but we?re confident we?ll have more American animation on Toonami again!

QuoteQuestion: in your honest opinion, what do you think was the best show to ever grace toonami?
Answer: Cowboy. Bebop.

:sweat:

QuoteQuestion: You're getting a lot of Attack on Titan questions, but this one I don't think you've gotten yet. So far, how do y'all at Toonami like the show?

Answer: So far, we like it!

So they've been paying attention to it after all. Good! Hopefully they'll pick it up next year.

QuoteQuestion: What's one show you guys really wanted to air but never could be able to?

Answer: Hmmm Ranma 1/2 is one!

Oh, if only. Damn you, late 90's/early 2000's Cartoon Network censors....

QuoteQuestion: What are all yalls favorite anime?

Answer: Too many to list! Akira, The work of Miyazaki, the work of Satoshi Kon, Evangelion, the work of Mamoru Hosoda, GITS, Cowboy Bebop (and all Watanabe), Ranma 1/2, FLCL, and on, and on?.

Well, at least we know they still have diverse and good taste... Hopefully they play to their more "mature" sensibilities in their next few pickups.

QuoteQuestion: Toonami seems like a shonen block.

Answer: We don?t care about classifications like ?shonen." Toonami has always been about great action shows, and always will. Anyone expecting anything less than that from us is looking in the wrong place!

See, I can agree with not caring about classifications too...but at the same time I am looking for engaging and quality series, not shows like Sword Art Online and IGPX. I like Soul Eater, love One Piece, and can enjoy all the shows airing on the last half of the block to various degrees, but I've seen all of those shows before and the kinds of stories being told on the block just don't have enough diversity and generally don't really feel very...mature. I wish they would air new and more "mature" shows alongside the more fun and "energetic" shows like One Piece, but pickups like Tenchi Muyo! GXP and Sword Art Online make me think that they will just air whatever they want without care for diversity or quality, which disappoints me.   :-\

The Shadow Gentleman

QuoteQuestion: Someone is gonna ask this anyway so I figured I get it out the way. There is 1 or 2 minute tentacle scene in sword art online and some think its going turn away viewers. Do you agree that is stupid?

Answer: We aren?t worried about that scene turning away viewers, at all.
Question: Do you have any concerns about the incest subplot in Sword Art Online?

Answer: Not particularly, no.

Nel_Annette

Someone tell me the day the bad episodes air so I can see the reactions on TZ's Toonami board.  :sly:

Dr. Insomniac

After episode 14.

Lord Dalek

Quote from: Nel_Annette on June 30, 2013, 10:39:19 PM
Someone tell me the day the bad episodes air so I can see the reactions on TZ's Toonami board.  :sly:

Well...

Episodes 1-3 - decent

Episodes 4-7 - eh

Episodes 8-10 - Starting to take a turn for the worse (funny enough this goes hand in hand with the point they actually start adapting the original SAO novel).

Episode 11-14 - godawful (the Yui arc) to barely tolerable (the fisherman guy filler story) back to frustratingly godawful (Episode 14)

Episode 15-25 - Horse manure.

So basically we should start hitting shit around October 5.