Toonami

Started by Rynnec, May 21, 2012, 02:35:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LumRanmaYasha

Oh. Well, being on Neon Alley doesn't mean that it won't get on Toonami at some point (at least that's what they keep telling us).

But man, Neon Alley has a pretty good lineup now, huh? Tiger and Bunny, Fate/Zero, Gurren Lagann, Puella Magi Madoka Magica, Revolutionary Girl Utena, InuYasha: The Final Act, Death Note, Magi, One Piece, Ranma 1/2...maybe it's about time I get it. It's what I'd enjoy a Toonami network to be like, crap like the Naruto franchise aside.

Foggle

Paying a premium for an anime TV station just doesn't seem right to me. I'd rather buy the DVD/BDs or watch on my PC.

Rynnec

Quote from: Foggle on October 27, 2013, 04:33:13 PM
Quote from: Lord Dalek on October 27, 2013, 04:26:28 PM
If they even bother to dub it at all (still annoyed about Magi).
It's actually popular with western fans. They'll dub it.

The problem is, there are very few American voice actors who I feel can pull off the kind of performances seen in the Japanese Kill la Kill, and as far as I know, none of them are part of Aniplex's usual talent pool.

And even if they do get the casting right, it wouldn't save the dub from sounding bland, given Aniplex's previous track record.

Foggle

Quote from: Rynnec on October 27, 2013, 05:43:43 PM
And even if they do get the casting right, it wouldn't save the dub from sounding bland, given Aniplex's previous track record.
Exactly. Only the Fate/Zero dub could make Crispin Freeman and Matt Mercer sound boring. And even if it was a good dub, I don't know if anyone could surpass Ami Koshimizu or Shinichiro Miki. Also, judging by nearly every anime dub ever, Mako would be more annoying than funny in English.

Rynnec

Quote from: Foggle on October 27, 2013, 05:48:47 PM
Quote from: Rynnec on October 27, 2013, 05:43:43 PM
Exactly. Only the Fate/Zero dub could make Crispin Freeman and Matt Mercer sound boring.

Durarara is the only Aniplex dub I've heard that actually sounds legitly good.

QuoteAnd even if it was a good dub, I don't know if anyone could surpass Ami Koshimizu or Shinichiro Miki. Also, judging by nearly every anime dub ever, Mako would be more annoying than funny in English.

The only actress I can see doing Mako justice is Philece Sampler.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Foggle on October 27, 2013, 05:48:47 PMeven if it was a good dub, I don't know if anyone could surpass Ami Koshimizu or Shinichiro Miki.

Now you just sound exactly like Jacob T. Paschal. :humhumhum:

Foggle

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on October 27, 2013, 07:27:59 PM
Quote from: Foggle on October 27, 2013, 05:48:47 PMeven if it was a good dub, I don't know if anyone could surpass Ami Koshimizu or Shinichiro Miki.

Now you just sound exactly like Jacob T. Paschal. :humhumhum:
No.

even if it was a good dub, I don't know if anyone could surpass Koush'imizu Ami or Miki Shin'ichirou.

Now I do.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Based on a dub by a subpar localization company. :>

Foggle

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on October 27, 2013, 07:38:21 PM
Based on a dub by a subpar localization company. :>
So, Ensatsu-ken, on a scale of 1 to 10 Naruto: Shippuden episode #167's, exactly how sakuga was episode 4 of KIRRU ra KIRRU? Personally, I felt that Imaish'i Hirouyuuki (known for his key animation on several cuts from Wan Piisu: Omatsuri Danshaku to Himitsu no Shima) did an absolutely horrendous job with the storyboarding - certainly not up to par with the high standard set by 2011's Buriichi episode #232.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

That doesn't fit at all. Jacob would NEVER address anyone to inquire their opinion on something. That would imply that he didn't consider his own opinions to be fact. Your imitation is still not douche-baggy enough to be mistaken for a JTP post, Foggle. :sly:

LumRanmaYasha

I have to agree with Foggle, honestly. I've heard my fair share of dubs in all sorts of genres, and I can't really imagine any voice actress in the dubbing industry who could play Ryuko or Mako as well as their original seiyuu's. In any case, there also just roles where the original actor is so unique and excellent that even a great dubbed performance can't really match up to the original in some people's eyes. I particularly feel like this about Mayumi Tanaka's Luffy in One Piece and Fumi Hirano's Lum in Urusei Yatsura, myself.  :humhumhum:

Foggle

At least my post was better than the latest episode (#101) of Hantaa x Hantaa. The Kimera Anto arc continues to expose Tougash'i Yoush'ihirou's inadequacy as a writer in comparison to that of the legendary Kish'imoutou Masash'i. Madohausu really should just give up; they are nowhere near the level of Toei in the sakuga department, delivering only sasuga animeshon 99% of the time.

Grave

Quote from: Cartoon X on October 27, 2013, 07:56:47 PM
I have to agree with Foggle, honestly. I've heard my fair share of dubs in all sorts of genres, and I can't really imagine any voice actress in the dubbing industry who could play Ryuko or Mako as well as their original seiyuu's. In any case, there also just roles where the original actor is so unique and excellent that even a great dubbed performance can't really match up to the original in some people's eyes. I particularly feel like this about Mayumi Tanaka's Luffy in One Piece and Fumi Hirano's Lum in Urusei Yatsura, myself.  :humhumhum:

I think this is why I've always had the opinion that instead of trying to match the original seiyuu, match the character themselves. At least that sounded good in my mind back when I was more into anime.

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: Grave on October 27, 2013, 08:05:22 PM
I think this is why I've always had the opinion that instead of trying to match the original seiyuu, match the character themselves. At least that sounded good in my mind back when I was more into anime.

Indeed. I think that approach is why performances like Steve Blum's Spike and Johnny Young Bosh's Vash are so excellent, to the point where they rival or surpass the original performances, in my opinion, as well as performances like Richard Ian Cox's Ranma and Christopher Sabat's Zoro, where they add their own unique flavor to the roles while still playing them somewhat similar that makes them stand out more to me. Most of the dubs I enjoy most are honestly those that perform the characters in their own way but in a way that's still true to the characters themselves, and I think that's probably the approach dubs should always go for, myself.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I have to admit that, while I like watching plenty of anime in their original languages, I find very few roles to ever stand out to me as memorable, mostly because, being the ignorant American that I am, I don't understand the language, and usually can't accurately critique the performance.

The few cases where voices stand out to me in the original Japanese is with shows like One Piece. The reason being that the voices in those shows sound like actual characters, in the same fashion as you'd find the classic Looney Tunes character voices iconic (I do still like the dub, though). With a more serious show like Fate/Zero, the voices sound more realistic to me, which of course fits the tone of the show, but at the same time I honestly can't really remember any of the voices outside of the show. If you were to play an audio clip of any of the characters talking without any visuals to accompany it, I wouldn't be able to match the voice to the character in most cases.