Toonami

Started by Rynnec, May 21, 2012, 02:35:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daikun

They'll be playing the Pioneer dub of Akira.

Lord Dalek

Oh thank god its the good dub.

Avaitor

Come March, Toonami will start airing Blue Exorcist.

What's the 411 on this one?
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

LumRanmaYasha

Well, Vlord's watched it all and liked it, so he could probably tell you about it more in detail.

As for me, Blue Exorcist doesn't appeal to me, because it's basically just another ghost-fighting shonen series, and it even has the school thing going on in it like Soul Eater, which is a meh concept for my tastes. I've never actually watched the show, I can't really judge it, but at the same time it isn't something I think I'd ever get excited for. I've had my fill of ghost-fighting shonen, thank you.

More or less I'm disappointed that Magi or Fate/Zero isn't coming. Well, maybe sometime. At least we have confirmation that Neon Alley deals DO NOT affect what Toonami can get.

Rynnec

From what I gather, it's Bleach 2.0.

Welp, at least it's not Valvrave.

Foggle

Quote from: Rynnec on November 22, 2013, 08:22:28 PM
From what I gather, it's Bleach 2.0.

Welp, at least it's not Valvrave.
My thoughts exactly. Probably better than SAO as well.

I just hope Kill la Kill is next.

LumRanmaYasha

Soul Eater 2.0 would be more accurate, since they have the school thing going on for it. The most original thing about the show that I know of is that the main character is the son of Satan, so...yeah.

I don't mean to bash the show, since that would be unfair 'cause I've never watched it, but I don't think, from what I've heard about it and know about it, it was the best pick they could have gotten from Aniplex. I'm sure it's not terrible, but it's also not something I'm excited for. That's my personal two cents on the show.

Quote from: Foggle on November 22, 2013, 08:26:28 PM
I just hope Kill la Kill is next.

If KLK gets on Neon Alley instead of/before Toonami.... :srs:

Avaitor

It doesn't sound like mine, or most of the community on here's cup of tea, but from what I've been hearing from you guys and read up myself, it sounds kind of perfect for Toonami's tastes. So there you go.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

LumRanmaYasha

Well, the show is trending on twitter right now, so it seems most of the Toonami audience is happy/excited by the news. Although I'm not pumped for it, I must say that block has done right for the majority of it's fans, at the very least.

VLordGTZ

Quote from: Cartoon X on November 22, 2013, 08:16:22 PM
Well, Vlord's watched it all and liked it
I only thought it was a decent series.  It wasn't bad but it wasn't that great either.  I would much rather have Magi or Fate/Zero.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Meanwhile Hunter X Hunter still isn't even in line for getting licensed. I've pretty much given up on that series ever coming over to the states, though. Ever since Viz screwed up with the first anime, the series probably looked like it wouldn't sell well, over here. It's a shame, because personally I find it to be relatively fresh compared to most mainstream shounen series, but I guess it may just not be to everyone's liking.

Anyways, I'd still settle for Fate/Zero, Kill La Kill, or Magi. Samurai Flamenco might also be a future candidate if that ever gets licensed (it does have a surprising amount of action for the type if story that it's telling).

I still wish Toonami had a place for some older anime outside of just Cowboy Bebop. In that case, there'd be plenty more options for them to choose from, but I suppose most of the Toonami fan base aren't interested in the older stuff unless it's related to something that was already on Toonami (or Adult Swim) in years past.

Avaitor

Yeah, Jason has made it clear that unless it was a Toonami/ASA favorite, there is just about no chance for an older series to make it onto the block. It's not something they personally agree with, but financially it's the way to go.

New blog!

Rynnec

Older anime (like 80's/early 90's) would be great for the later hours of the block.

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: VLordGTZ on November 22, 2013, 10:48:33 PM
I only thought it was a decent series.  It wasn't bad but it wasn't that great either.  I would much rather have Magi or Fate/Zero.

You were into it for a while and tried to get me to watch it. Next you'll tell me you didn't like Kekkaishi when you repeatedly talked to me about how much you enjoyed reading it.  :thinkin:

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on November 22, 2013, 10:59:13 PM
Meanwhile Hunter X Hunter still isn't even in line for getting licensed. I've pretty much given up on that series ever coming over to the states, though. Ever since Viz screwed up with the first anime, the series probably looked like it wouldn't sell well, over here. It's a shame, because personally I find it to be relatively fresh compared to most mainstream shounen series, but I guess it may just not be to everyone's liking.

I heard someone theorize that Madhouse won't allow the series to be licensed until after it's over. That doesn't make much sense, yeah, but it's really the only explanation I can think of as to why it hasn't been licensed yet.  :??:

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on November 22, 2013, 10:59:13 PM
Anyways, I'd still settle for Fate/Zero, Kill La Kill, or Magi. Samurai Flamenco might also be a future candidate if that ever gets licensed (it does have a surprising amount of action for the type if story that it's telling).

You've been watching Samurai Flamenco and Magi too? How far are you in them? But yeah, I'd love for any of those shows to get on the block at some point. Though, I thought Aniplex has already licensed Flamenco?

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on November 22, 2013, 10:59:13 PMI still wish Toonami had a place for some older anime outside of just Cowboy Bebop. In that case, there'd be plenty more options for them to choose from, but I suppose most of the Toonami fan base aren't interested in the older stuff unless it's related to something that was already on Toonami (or Adult Swim) in years past.

What does that make Akira? It's older than Bebop and they've never aired it before. If the quality is good enough, or the series is great enough, I think they would break their no pre-Bebop show rule and air it, but it would have to be at the right price I'd reckon, and it also have to be a reasonable enough investment (as in, how much ratings could it be expected to get and what advertisers will pay for space during the commercial breaks) for the network to consider it. But since all I personally want on Toonami are good shows, I'd welcome a great older anime, myself.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Akira is a movie, and a popular one among anime fans, at that. Its just a one-time thing. I'm talking about older TV series that were ever aired on Toonami before. I understand why they can't do it, but I'm just saying that its a shame that they either can't afford or find an audience for some of the less appreciated classics.

As for SF, I caught up to it earlier this week upon Foggle's recommendation. I'm only 7 or 8 episodes into Magi, so far.