Toonami

Started by Rynnec, May 21, 2012, 02:35:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I'm fine with the beginning of the film, myself. It takes its time to build on the characters, which is a staple of all of Hosoda's films. On that end, I've always found his movies to be more appealing than Miyazaki's, whose plots tend to be less character-driven.

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on December 15, 2013, 01:58:14 AM
On that end, I've always found his movies to be more appealing than Miyazaki's, whose plots tend to be less character-driven.

:il_rope:

I also didn't find the beginning to be slow in the slightest. Overall, I loved Summer Wars. I'll elaborate some of my thoughts on it after some sleep.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

gunswordfist

I missed it. Oh well.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Nel_Annette

Eh, I just found the massive family to be really uninteresting. I almost changed the channel right before the middle.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

The family was the best aspect of the movie. As Dr. Insomniac said in his review, it got to the point where the family was more interesting than Natsuki by herself. I guess we just have very different interests, Nel.

Daikun

I wonder if they were ever given (or could be given) the option to air this on CN. It feels like it could air as one of their standard movies.

LumRanmaYasha

There was nothing stopping CN from airing Summer Wars before. The only reason it never aired on CN because they don't want to air it, and they probably never will unless they get an exec who likes and wants to air non-toyetic anime on it again.

Lord Dalek

Quote from: Daikun on December 15, 2013, 04:57:58 PM
I wonder if they were ever given (or could be given) the option to air this on CN. It feels like it could air as one of their standard movies.
Yeah it was kind of a head scratcher considering Summer Wars isn't much of an action movie.

That said I'm with Nel on the fact that the film is incredibly slow going in its first hour and kind of a chore to sit through (I imagine it was worse on Toonami with commercial interruptions every 12 or so minutes). Also the ending seems a bit too contrived for its own good. In Our War Game, Tai and Garumon simply beat up Diablomon. Here... its fricken Yu-Gi-Oh with hanafuda.

Rynnec

It doesn't have Omnimon either, so that also makes it inferior.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Lord Dalek on December 15, 2013, 06:38:05 PMThat said I'm with Nel on the fact that the film is incredibly slow going in its first hour and kind of a chore to sit through (I imagine it was worse on Toonami with commercial interruptions every 12 or so minutes). Also the ending seems a bit too contrived for its own good. In Our War Game, Tai and Garumon simply beat up Diablomon. Here... its fricken Yu-Gi-Oh with hanafuda.

The significance of family and friendships is a theme found in many of Hosoda's films, including this film, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, Wolf Children, and even that One Piece movie he directed, though that one was a lot more fucked up. As someone who comes from a big family, I found a lot that I could relate to in this movie, myself.

I also didn't find anything too contrived about the ending myself. Kenji solves a few algorithms. The end.

As for the whole card game thing, I fail to see how it's like Yu-Gi-Oh. The latter features card games that go into specific details about all sorts of nerdy shit. This movie just featured a Japanese card game as the basis of creating a wager with Love Machine. It would be no different from challenging him to Poker or any sort of game like that. The point here is that Natauki had a history of playing this game with her grandmother and it was implied that she was quite good at it, so it just makes sense that it's what she'd choose to play.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Anyways, now that Summer Wars and Akira have finished airing, Toonami is out of actual good movies for the month. Conqueror of Shambala is a steaming pile whereas Badlands Rumble is one of the most mediocre films that you'll ever watch.

Nel_Annette

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on December 15, 2013, 12:47:37 PM
I guess we just have very different interests, Nel.

It's all cool man.  :joy: I think based on the few years I've been here, I've come to learn that my tastes very much differ from a lot of people here. XD

Like I said, still a fun flick.

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on December 15, 2013, 08:28:14 PM
Anyways, now that Summer Wars and Akira have finished airing, Toonami is out of actual good movies for the month. Conqueror of Shambala is a steaming pile whereas Badlands Rumble is one of the most mediocre films that you'll ever watch.

Meh, I like 'em enough.  :bleh: 

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Nel_Annette on December 15, 2013, 08:32:02 PMIt's all cool man.  :joy: I think based on the few years I've been here, I've come to learn that my tastes very much differ from a lot of people here. XD

Like I said, still a fun flick.

:thumbup: