Toonami

Started by Rynnec, May 21, 2012, 02:35:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LumRanmaYasha

But the thing is...what's different now that justifies giving the Monster anime another chance? With Hunter X Hunter (2011), it's a different show, and it's been proven to do well with audiences on Crunchyroll, and is one of it's highest streamed series. It's a new show, there's a clear audience, there should be enough noticeable potential there to justify licensing the show. But the Monster anime isn't in the same situation. The whole reason they didn't release it all on dvd before is because the first set sold terribly. I fail to see how that's Viz's fault. And why would it suddenly sell more now? It's not like they didn't try to give the series as much exposure as possible before. It aired on tv, it was available for free on Hulu for years. What more could've been done, and what could be done now to make a release of the anime a successful venture for them? And according to them, they tried; that podcast I mentioned before said that they really wanted the series to become a success, but it didn't work out and they couldn't justify future dvd releases. Dropping the liscence to the series was something they also regretted doing, but since they couldn't do anything with it as it was, they didn't have much of a choice. It's a sad situation, but it's also an understandable one, and Viz is a business. It's not a good thing, but I find it hard to hold a grudge against Viz for the Monster anime's situation this time. Unlike HXH 1999, they gave that series a great dub and lots of exposure. If anything, it's peoples' fault for not buying the dvd release in the first place. And unless the Monster anime suddenly grows incredibly popular and is a guaranteed commercial hit to them, they don't have a reason to re-license the series. At this point, I'm just glad they are giving the manga omnibus releases'.  :??:

On a tangent, I wonder if Nozomi will license rescue Monster sometime. It seems like a title they'd go for.

Lord Dalek

Crunchy is an international site, its hard to gauge what's popular there because your broadcasting to a global audience and that skews the actual figures. From Viz's perspective they have a manga that is one of their biggest flops (don't argue, I've checked) with an adaptation that already bombed once. Its therefore hard to get behind the next adaptation.

Avaitor

Quote from: Cartoon X on April 28, 2014, 07:48:05 PM
But the thing is...what's different now that justifies giving the Monster anime another chance? With Hunter X Hunter (2011), it's a different show, and it's been proven to do well with audiences on Crunchyroll, and is one of it's highest streamed series. It's a new show, there's a clear audience, there should be enough noticeable potential there to justify licensing the show. But the Monster anime isn't in the same situation. The whole reason they didn't release it all on dvd before is because the first set sold terribly. I fail to see how that's Viz's fault. And why would it suddenly sell more now? It's not like they didn't try to give the series as much exposure as possible before. It aired on tv, it was available for free on Hulu for years. What more could've been done, and what could be done now to make a release of the anime a successful venture for them? And according to them, they tried; that podcast I mentioned before said that they really wanted the series to become a success, but it didn't work out and they couldn't justify future dvd releases. Dropping the liscence to the series was something they also regretted doing, but since they couldn't do anything with it as it was, they didn't have much of a choice. It's a sad situation, but it's also an understandable one, and Viz is a business. It's not a good thing, but I find it hard to hold a grudge against Viz for the Monster anime's situation this time. Unlike HXH 1999, they gave that series a great dub and lots of exposure. If anything, it's peoples' fault for not buying the dvd release in the first place. And unless the Monster anime suddenly grows incredibly popular and is a guaranteed commercial hit to them, they don't have a reason to re-license the series. At this point, I'm just glad they are giving the manga omnibus releases'.  :??:
I don't really have an counter-argument. I just like Monster, and I wish that it did better over here.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: Lord Dalek on April 28, 2014, 08:11:45 PM
Crunchy is an international site, its hard to gauge what's popular there because your broadcasting to a global audience and that skews the actual figures. From Viz's perspective they have a manga that is one of their biggest flops (don't argue, I've checked) with an adaptation that already bombed once. Its therefore hard to get behind the next adaptation.

I don't know if you can call the manga one of their biggest flops. They still release it, unlike Gintama, Bobobo, Oishinbo, etc, and the only reason they would is because it makes back its worth. Not every thing can sell like Naruto or Bleach, and the series' success can't be labeled as zip just because of that. Furthermore, I find it hard to believe they'd care to add the series to their digital Shonen Jump  if they didn't think it'd be worth it.

As for the Crunchyroll stuff, though, you're right, and overall I can't disagree with your point why they would be hesitant to pick it up. I still believe that stuff like Viz simul releasing the new HXH chapters in their Jump in June is an acknowledgement of its popularity, though, and that gives me hope, though time will tell if that ends up being unrequited.

Foggle

Quote from: Lord Dalek on April 28, 2014, 06:58:58 PM
Kill La Kill: Heavily requested, dub not yet announced.
The UK home video release is reportedly happening later this year, so it's either going to be dubbed quickly or not at all.

Quote from: Cartoon X on April 28, 2014, 08:33:25 PM
I don't know if you can call the manga one of their biggest flops. They still release it, unlike Gintama, Bobobo, Oishinbo, etc, and the only reason they would is because it makes back its worth.
They also released all of Excel Saga, which was almost certainly hemorrhaging money every time they put out a new volume.

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: Foggle on April 28, 2014, 10:36:56 PM
They also released all of Excel Saga, which was almost certainly hemorrhaging money every time they put out a new volume.

Maybe, but somehow I kind of doubt it. Breaking even seems more likely to me that them losing money on every volume. Then again, Viz did release all 20 volumes of Firefighter, which only ever sold 2000 copies TOTAL...and they've gone and given it digital releases now, so, it's true Viz can be weird with how much they are willing to comit to a series despite a poor performance.  :sweat:

Daxdiv

Cooler's Revenge to air on May 24th

Well, for the people bitching about wanting DBZ on the block again, you got your wish. :>

gunswordfist

Cooler's Revenge is pretty good. :)
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

LumRanmaYasha

Meh.  I was expecting them to air Z movies at some point, but I really hoped they wouldn't.
Cooler's Revenge is a typical lame Z movie. However, I admit the novelty of seeing It air on the block might be enough for me to still watch it. I mean, it 's still better than Bleach, at least.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Personally, I prefer TFS's version of that movie. :humhumhum:

LumRanmaYasha

I prefer TFS's version of anything over the actual Z anime and films.   :awesome:

Daikun

Meh. This movie already aired 11 years ago.

It would've been nice if they'd picked a movie they haven't aired it. Oh, well.

What's the point of this, anyway? Wouldn't that just delay Space Dandy for another week?

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: Daikun on May 03, 2014, 02:16:32 AM

What's the point of this, anyway? Wouldn't that just delay Space Dandy for another week?

They don't have to rerun all of Dandy season 1 before airing season 2.

I assume this is happening either to celebrate the 2-year anniversary of the block's return by throwing all those DBZ fans a bone here, or because they are expecting a delay for more Bleach episodes and needed something short but ratings-grabbing to buy time for a week.

Dr. Insomniac

So Remember the Titans is airing in 19 minutes.

LumRanmaYasha

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!! 

Seriously, I laughed my ass off. Of course they'd cut Titan's opening! Everyone's pissed off reactions on Twitter were priceless.  :lol: