Toonami

Started by Rynnec, May 21, 2012, 02:35:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LumRanmaYasha

But I thought you liked Big O and G Gundam?

gunswordfist

Those aren't even my two favorites  :bleh: Well, one of them is. Anyway, I only make special exceptions.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I never really hated GL like Foggle and Dr. Insomniac used to, but I also never really cared for it either. I'm all for fun style and whatnot, but it just felt too overdone to me, to the point where when it got to the scenes that you were legitimately supposed to take seriously, I just couldn't bring myself to care. That said, I don't have anything against the series, either, but I'll always be a bit ticked off that this started a trend of sorts where anime fans went gags over any series that was oozing with crazy style like this one, without actually bothering to analyze whether it had any substance to go along with it. I'm not referring to this series itself, because I can recognize that it has substance, but rather anything that tried to mimick the popularity by having over the top animation without any actual heart to what was going on.

Also, while I hear a lot of people praising how TTGL can be very silly and ridiculous on one extreme, but also have powerful emotional moments on another extreme, I'd like to point out that personally, I still think that One Piece (pre-time skip), has done it much better. The 2 major deaths from the Mrineford arc come to mind.

I will give TTGL credit, though, for paying a really cool homage to Ashita no Joe with one particular death scene that everybody knows about. Cartoon X, I believe that you would recognize it if you payed close enough attention. ;)

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on July 20, 2014, 01:57:18 PM
I will give TTGL credit, though, for paying a really cool homage to Ashita no Joe with one particular death scene that everybody knows about. Cartoon X, I believe that you would recognize it if you payed close enough attention. ;)

Yeah, I know exactly what scene you're talking about.  :D

The Shadow Gentleman

Eh, I avoided most of the hype before finally watching GL, so I'm able to call it a favorite of mine. That and I just love well done over the top stuff in general. Glad to see it will be on TV again.

Avaitor

I'm thinking about giving TTGL another chance when it hits Toonami, but I'll probably forget to watch it and just never get back to the show.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I like over the top stuff too. I just also happen to like actually feeling attached to characters and having a story just as intriguing as any of the fights in the series a lot more. I think I felt that connection more with KLK than I did with TTGL (and for the record, I went into the series when it was relatively new, so I didn't have a lot of hype to go on, either).

Like I said, I don't actually dislike TTGL, but rather I just couldn't ever bring myself to care that much about it, as much as I tried. It's just a matter of opinion, really.

The Shadow Gentleman

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on July 20, 2014, 02:53:50 PM
I like over the top stuff too. I just also happen to like actually feeling attached to characters and having a story just as intriguing as any of the fights in the series a lot more.

I felt attached to the characters and found the story simple but interesting. But like you said, it's a matter of opinion.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Anyways, I'm cool with TTGL getting its time on Toonami, but I do hope that KLK gets to air at some point in the future.

Of course, as far as shounen series go, little would please me more than to see HXH air on Toonami, but as before, it still has yet to be licensed. If the rumor about Madhouse specifically waiting for the the anime to finish before licensing it out is true (even though that makes virtually no sense from a business and marketing point of view), then I hope that they only meant until the anime goes on hiatus in just a few more weeks. If they intend to wait until it covers the whole manga, then I fear that HXH will never be licensed overseas.

Also, if anyone does pick up HXH, I really, desperately hope that it's FUNimation rather than Viz, even if the latter would be more likely. After the way that Viz treated the first anime, I just want them to stay as far away from the new one as possible. Just stick to releasing the manga.

gunswordfist

Has a hiatus been confirmed? Also, HXH's dub is clearly a job for Funimation.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Not that I know of, but it might as well be. They kind of have to put it on hiatus. They are less than 30 chapters behind the manga's current story-line.

Nel_Annette

That's... actually the thing that broke GL for me in addition to the hype, but you all seemed to love it so that's why I didn't delve further into it. But Ensatsu pretty much pointed it out, though he seems way more forgiving than I was. The show spends several episodes being balls to the walls insane, and then it pulls a fast one on the viewer. It's hard to take the drama seriously when you've pretty much been nothing but crazy robot physics, meme-worthy dialogue, and fanservice up the ass. The show is very much style over substance.

But it's been years, and now that I know what I'm getting into, I'll give it another shot. I just need to be in the right mood for the over-the-top stuff.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Yeah, I might as well give the show another view as well while it's on Toonami (I actually haven't seen the dub before, now that I think about it). I don't expect my mind to be changed, but perhaps after KLK I might find something to appreciate about this show's style, if nothing else.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Avaitor on July 20, 2014, 02:48:24 PM
I'm thinking about giving TTGL another chance when it hits Toonami, but I'll probably forget to watch it and just never get back to the show.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

superfluidity

I liked Gurren Lagann when I watched it several years ago.

I've been trying to get my girlfriend to watch it since she really enjoyed Kill La Kill. Eventually, I will succeed in this goal.