Toonami

Started by Rynnec, May 21, 2012, 02:35:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

The problem is that the demand isn't there. There's this online petition, but it doesn't represent the majority of the Toonami fan-base. Most of the current Toonami fans either haven't seen DT, or saw it a long time ago and never picked up on its darker themes as a kid, and thus assume or remember it as just another kid's show, so they won't be clamoring to see it take up a spot from another show on the block. This is also the same audience that seems to think that Black Lagoon can't handle it's subject material whereas AoT is apparently quality writing material, mind you.

Avaitor

This only has 10 signatures so far, anyway.

Actually, that's probably good enough incentive for Jason to pick it up. If too many people sign it, Digimon would seem too desirable to the block, and thus would be such an obvious choice for the block that he'd ignore it. If very few people want it, that's just fine in his book.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: Avaitor on September 14, 2014, 12:34:16 PM
Actually, that's probably good enough incentive for Jason to pick it up. If too many people sign it, Digimon would seem too desirable to the block, and thus would be such an obvious choice for the block that he'd ignore it. If very few people want it, that's just fine in his book.

Mmm, I dunno, Toonami's been picking up obvious choices pretty frequently. Sword Art Online & Attack on Titan were the most popular anime of their respective years and are the definition of obvious choices. Dragon Ball Z is the most popular anime they ever aired so airing Kai is a super obvious choice. Much of the last few acquisitions, even Black Lagoon and Hellsing Ultimate, have been stuff people were actually asking for. So, I dunno, if people want really push for Digimon, they might get Digimon. Except they won't because Saban probably doesn't want to spoil the kid/family-friendly brand image. So that's too bad.

gunswordfist

hellsing ultimate is pretty awesome. it was good to finally see anderson.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Rynnec

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on September 14, 2014, 05:50:57 AM
I can't wait until Toonami airs Beyblade.

I would legit watch that over Naruto Shitpudding.

LumRanmaYasha

At the end of the month Dandy is ending and Clone Wars is leaving. Here's the schedule starting on October 11th.

11:30 - Attack on Titan
12:00 - Bleach
12:30 - Naruto: Shippuden
01:00 - One Piece
01:30 - Gurren Lagann
02:00 - Beware the Batman
02:30 - Hellsing Ultimate
03:30 - Cowboy Bebop
04:00 - Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood
04:30 - Stand Alone Complex 2nd Gig
05:00 - Big O Season 2
05:30 - Samurai Jack

Daikun

Quote from: Cartoon X on September 16, 2014, 12:44:38 PMAt the end of the month Dandy is ending and Clone Wars is leaving. Here's the schedule starting on October 11th.

Not happening. The schedule has been hijacked by the legal department.

September 27:

12:30 - Space Dandy
1:00 - Naruto: Shippuden
1:30 - One Piece
2:00 - Gurren Lagann
2:30 - Beware the Batman (marathon of the final episodes)

October 4:

12:30 - Naruto: Shippuden
1:00 - One Piece
1:30 - Gurren Lagann
2:00 - Hellsing Ultimate
3:00 - Space Dandy
3:30 - Cowboy Bebop
4:00 - FMA:B
4:30 - GitS:SAC 2nd Gig
5:00 - Big O
5:30 - Samurai Jack

Avaitor

Now would've been a good time for Kai to come on, if it's still even happening.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Daikun

Quote from: Avaitor on September 22, 2014, 05:44:36 PMNow would've been a good time for Kai to come on, if it's still even happening.

It starts in November.

LumRanmaYasha

Geez, now the only western cartoon in their roster is Samurai Jack, and who knows if CN will let them rerun that a second time. As for the schedule change, it makes sense to give HU a push into an earlier timeslot over premiering anything new since it's been doing excellently (800,000+ at 3am, ftw). At any rate, I'm still banking on a DB Kai/Sailor Moon power-hour to replace Titan and Bleach in November, since they should end on the same date iirc.

Rynnec

Ugh, I really hope that doesn't happen. 4 long-runners on the block is too much.

LumRanmaYasha

I agree, but I just think it's very likely to happen, unfortunately as that might be. Of course, they could always prove me wrong, but somehow I don't see them missing the opportunity to have both of the most popular series they ever aired back on the block at the same time.

Avaitor

The word is that CN has also written off The Secret Saturdays and Generator Rex.

I'm not sure if this is the right thread, but then again, I could have seen both potentially be on Toonami at some point. Just like how the previous distribution rights haven't been lost, GR is still on Netflix. Which is good, since I was considering giving it a shot. I've been told by more than one person that it's the secret good Man of Action show.

New blog!

LumRanmaYasha

Here's some news from the latest Toonami Tumblr Q&A.

QuoteAnonymous Asked: I've heard rumors that DBZ Kai is airing on November 8. Is this true?

Toonami: The rumors are correct! We will begin airing DBZ Kai uncut at midnight starting November 8th, replacing Bleach.

Welp, that confirms Bleach's replacement and what will be taking it's timeslot. Not really a fan of Kai airing so early, but it's not unexpected either.

Quotecuteinpastel Asked: Will you guys still be showing space dandy re runs after it's over?

Toonami: Yes, Dandy will return for a full run. We have the rights for a long time so Dandy won?t be going anywhere, especially since we lost the rights to Batman and Sym-Bionic Titan!

QuoteAnonymous Asked: Will Bleach and/or Attack On Titan be repeated once their runs are finished?

Toonami: Attack on Titan will definitely re-run on Toonami.

Not surprised about this. I figure they'll hang onto Titan as long as they've been hanging on to FMAB and make it a regular staple of the back end of the block.

Quotekavemane Asked: Can you tell us what to expect to see in the upcoming months?

Toonami: You can expect another month of movies, some new shows coming in both big and small, and THE RETURN OF DBZ to its rightful home!

Quotetechiecreek Asked: Has Toonami merch (clothes, bags, figures) been talked about recently? Would that sort of thing be possible in the not-so-distant future?

Toonami: We?re looking into some possibilities, actually!

Quotegod-my-oh Asked: Given how big Attack on Titan's been for you, and how good FUNi has been about simuldubbing Dandy, any consideration of a simuldub of the inevitable Titan Season 2?

Toonami: There?s a lot of lawyers and luck involved in making that happen. Very little of which is up to us. Not saying we wouldn?t WANT to, but that?s a lot of stars to align.

Quotegod-my-oh Asked: With Hellsing a hit, looking into more hour-long shows? Gundam Unicorn is finally finished, and there's also Roberta's Black Blood Trail.

Toonami: It?s hard to work that out, but it?s something we are definitely looking into, based on Hellsing?s success so far!

Quotethatguythateatsonlytacos Asked: Is Bleach getting a big send-off, or a rerun?

Toonami: It will most likely not get a re-run, and we may do something special as a send-off if we can work that out!

Oh thank god it isn't re-running. Come November, it'll be gone for good!

QuoteAnonymous Asked: What's the point of Toonami when we have sites like crunchyroll and hulu?

Toonami: Hulu and Crunchyroll don?t give you goodies every week or curate their content at all, which to us, is what make Toonami different. If you want a grocery store where you pick up things a la carte, those sites are fine. If you want a catered meal, Toonami is a better choice. ;)

QuoteAnonymous Asked: So is the month of movies going to be happening in December again?

Toonami: That?s the current plan!

QuoteAnonymous Asked: what are your most requested shows now that AoT And Kai are on toonami! (soon to be )

Toonami: Sailor Moon, Kill La KIll, SAO season 2.

Quotecbkask Asked: How are the Clydes? When do you think we will see them again?

Toonami: We?re working on that one, promise. It?s been tough to work out with our current budget.

Quotedagangstah Asked: How far ahead in terms of programming do you guys usually plan? Do you know whats going to be showing on Toonami in 2020?!?

Toonami: We normally plan about 6-8 months out, but it seems like there is always some sort of last minute shake up!

Quoteafelineisfinetoo Asked: Since you're alloting for time for Ep. 4 of Hellsing, will you be doing the same for Ep. 10? Because it's about an hour and 7 minutes in total runtime.

Toonami: Yes we will not be cutting anything for time. We?ll just have to make adjustments for those long eps. You?ll see some music videos and things of that nature!

Quotems-musicl0ver Asked: Even though Star Wars: The Clone Wars is leaving, will it ever return in the future?
Toonami: No, it won?t.

Quotebnjrivera Asked: Are you going to release another free Toonami mixtape by Skull Island by the end of the year? [Dandy Megamix, maybe] In that case, will you have another artwork contest for the cover? I have a friend who wants to be a graphic designer and is waiting anxiously for it.

Toonami: We doubt there will be a mixtape this year. We?re trying to come up with something fun, though!

QuoteAnonymous Asked: What do you guys think of a growing number of people wanting Swat Kats on the block?

Toonami: We think those people will be sadly disappointed.

Quotethatkidmackey Asked: can you guys try and bring back young justice and air it on toonami?

Toonami: That won?t happen, sorry.

QuoteAnonymous Asked: I know a lot of people think Toonami's target audience is mostly guys, but are there a lot of girls watching too? I'm a girl and I was just wondering if I was a rarity or something.

Toonami: There are some girls watching but the vast majority of our audience is male skewing. We love the ladies who watch Toonami though! Thank you and please tell a friend!

Quotejeargumedo Asked: How did the Dandy Dreams promo come about and what was the second song in that piece?

Toonami: We wanted to do a farewell piece for Dandy. Jonny wanted to do a head fake with that scene and the music change. The second song was?we?ll get back to you. We can?t remember what Jonny said.

QuoteAnonymous Asked: Are you planning doing more reviews for games like Destiny and Smash Bros. For 3DS?

Toonami: We will not be reviewing Destiny, but of course we will continue with Toonami game reviews for sure!

QuoteAnonymous Asked: Will tumblr be the only social network you guys actively use, or will you guys use other social networks? (like Facebook)

Toonami: We?ve thought about it, but for now we like the way this has been working out.

Quoterosemcginley Asked: Was their ever an anime you guys wanted to air but never could? If so what was it?

Toonami: We were REALLY hot to trot for Escaflowne back in the day, but Fox heard about our interest and outbid us on purpose. Them?s the breaks!

TL; DR

• Dragon Ball Kai will come to the block on November 8th, replacing Bleach in the midnight timeslot.
  • There will be another month of movies this December
  • Attack on Titan will definitely re-run.
  • Bleach will likely not re-run.

Lord Dalek

I learned basically nothing from this Q&A.

...also in keeping with traditional Toonami form, none of my questions were answered.