Toonami

Started by Rynnec, May 21, 2012, 02:35:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Since we'll be getting another month of movies, here's what some of what I'm hopeful for (but that we probably won't get):

Redline (might be possible)

One Piece: Strong World (likeliness depends on the series' regular ratings on the block)

Wolf Children and/or The Girl Who Leapt Through Time (because Summer Wars was actually pretty well received, and before you say that they aren't action-packed films, neither was Summer Wars, outside of the 2 notable scenes in the movie, and that still got aired on Toonami; I've never really seen the movies of having to apply to the same standards as the shows that they air)

Cowboy Bebop: The Movie (for nostalgia's sake, but probably unlikely because it's old)

Evangelion 2.22 (So that I can see the English dub, though since they already aired this one before, it's probably not likely to get a rerun on the block)

Any good Lupin III movie (also unlikely for the same reason as CB)

The Wind Rises (because CX insists that I'll like it even if I'm not a Miyazaki fan, so this is probably the most likely way for me to check it out, but it's also unlikely....because Disney)

Lord Dalek

What we'll probably get...

Tenchi Muyo in Love
King of Thorn
Wolf Children (GWLTT has the Bandai problem going against it)
Blue Exorcist The Movie

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Blue Exorcist actually has a movie? Huh...I guess that any half-way popular shounenshit can get a feature-length production, these days.

Daikun

Lord Dalek

Well I asked about Sentai....no response.

Foggle

Sony owns the license to the Cowboy Bebop movie, right? I wonder if that ruins their chances of airing it...

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on September 28, 2014, 02:33:48 PM
The Wind Rises (because CX insists that I'll like it even if I'm not a Miyazaki fan, so this is probably the most likely way for me to check it out, but it's also unlikely....because Disney)

I do not recall making any such promise.  :humhumhum:

It is easily my favorite film of his, though.

As for the movie month, films based on past and present Toonami shows seem the most likely, and like last year I can see them sticking with just what FUNi has since they have the biggest backlog of stuff. Of course, they've shown interest in airing Redline, so that's always game too. The film I think is most likely to be shown is Evangelion 3.33. Beyond that, DBZ: Battle of the Gods is a big possibility as well, though it's recency might make it too pricey for them at this point in time.

Avaitor

I think they might get another older DBZ movie or two before aiming for Battle of the Gods, personally.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

None of the older DBZ movies are feature-length, and Battle of Gods only recently got its dub released, so I wouldn't count on any DBZ output for the movie season. I think that One Piece would be a bit more likely if only because FUNimation probably wouldn't charge them as much as DBZ to air it, since Strong World is a considerably older film by this point.

Honestly, as far as I'm concerned, if they could somehow get Redline and Wold Children (both of which are in the real, of immediate possibility), I'd consider the movie season a success, just like last year when they had 2 hits (Akira and Summer Wars) and 2 stinkers (FMA and Trigun).

Foggle

They should just do a Tree of Might marathon all night like they used to do with The Iron Giant on regular CN. :sly:

Lord Dalek

Trying to claw Redline out of Starz's grasp will be a problem.

Daikun

Quote from: Foggle on September 28, 2014, 07:09:49 PMSony owns the license to the Cowboy Bebop movie, right? I wonder if that ruins their chances of airing it...

Nope. Adult Swim already aired it years ago, and Sony owns Aniplex and Sony is on good terms with CN/AS (they even have some original co-productions on the block, like The Boondocks and Robot Chicken). They could pick it up again if they wanted to, no problem.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Foggle on September 28, 2014, 08:32:21 PMThey should just do a Tree of Might marathon all night like they used to do with The Iron Giant on regular CN. :sly:

It'd be awesome if Toonami could get the rights to airing some non-anime movies, like Wonder Woman, Justice League: The New Frontier, or Batman: Year One, among others, but with their current funds it's highly unlikely.

Foggle

Aye. It would be amazing if they were to air, say, Mask of the Phantasm...

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I would've mentioned MOTP and ROTJ, but I figured that Toonami might avoid them just because, aside from DBZ, they seem against airing popular stuff from their past (and old-school Toonami aired MOTP and ROTJ, as well as BTAS and BB, multiple times over).