Beware The Batman

Started by Spark Of Spirit, October 04, 2011, 01:17:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daikun

CN pulls the show from their schedule.

The show should return in January. Batman News claims "the show is not cancelled."

Suuuuuuuuuuuuure... ::)

The Shadow Gentleman

Wait, has it even been on that long? I haven't been paying attention to this, but is it getting bad ratings or something?

Silverstar

Quote from: Daikun on October 23, 2013, 04:13:48 PM
CN pulls the show from their schedule.

The show should return in January. Batman News claims "the show is not cancelled."

Suuuuuuuuuuuuure... ::)

Yeah, right.

Following the M.O. with Green Lantern and Young Justice, CN will likely delay Beware the Batman's return until March or April, then just let it burn through its' remaining episodes before it disappears altogether.

BtB wasn't a terrible show, but at the same time I really couldn't get into it because after umptee-seven Dark Knight shows and movies, I'm personally Batmanned out, though I did enjoy The Brave and the Bold. Maybe now we can finally get another DC hero to spotlight a show; it's the 75th frickin' anniversary of Superman, plus he had a new movie come out this summer and we still can't get a Superman show, but we get yet another damn Batman cartoon?! What the what?!

I do really hope that WB doesn't give up on these shows despite these past failures; the DC Nation block can't just consist of Teen Titans GO! Going back to B&tB, maybe the next DC toon should be a more lighthearted action comedy, maybe starring Supes or Flash or Plastic Man or maybe even the Trinity. That would be cool.
Twinsanity - the Star Twins' blog. Cartoons. Pop Culture. Comedy. Opinions. Commentary. Analysis. Geekiness.

Peanutbutter

I don't care if we literally had a billion Batman cartoons before it. Beware the Batman was a good show that got better with each episode that advanced a pretty good arc. It might turn out not to be canceled, there's some sources stating that more episodes were ordered. Regardless this hiatus isn't necessary. Honestly, I think a big problem is that for whatever reason, there's some major bad blood between WB and Cartoon Network. If their parent company Turner wasn't ran by an idiot who doesn't believe in working together, and has fostered this ridiculous and unnecessary competitive atmosphere within, things would turn out a lot differently for all these cartoons.

Quote from: ShadowGentleman on October 23, 2013, 09:00:43 PM
Wait, has it even been on that long? I haven't been paying attention to this, but is it getting bad ratings or something?

Unfortunately, yes it was. Which more than likely is why it's being pulled for now.

Daxdiv

Quote from: ShadowGentleman on October 23, 2013, 09:00:43 PM

According to my Free on Demand from my cable package, it has aired at least 11 episodes out of it's 13 episode season.

I find it a bit of a shame since, while it's not the best Batman series out there, it really doesn't feel like the worst Batman series. Though, I find it a little bit weird that today I noticed that my local comic shops had the first issue of the tie-in comic for Beware the Batman on it's store shelves and then I came home to this. You know, DC usually makes the comics based more around the cartoon shows they air and put it in their kids label? Yeah, those ones.

hobbyfan

"Those who fail to remember history are doomed to repeat it."---George Santayana.

Someone needs to attach this quote to a memo sent to Stuart Snyder ASAP.

There is just such a huge disconnect between WB Animation & CN these days, it isn't funny. They pushed Teen Titans GO!, an inferior show, much harder, because they know their audience prefers lame comedy to serious adventure and solid storytelling. TTG isn't on the same level as, say for example, Regular Show, but this is the sort of mentality that butters the bread at the CN office these days.

To paraphrase a certain philosopher from Miami, as it relates to the CN administration:

We can take the flow charts and spreadsheets, roll them up real tight, turn those suckas sideways, and stick it straight up Snyder's candy-----!

LumRanmaYasha

...I'm not sure what your point is. While it sucks that serious action cartoons are being mistreated, and Beware the Batman's lack of promotion and now sudden pre-emption from the schedule aggravating, what lesson is there that Stuart Synder needs to learn? The fact is, Cartoon Network's current focus on eccentric/weird comedy series is working for them. In fact, it has led to some of the networks best ratings in years and that can't be denied. I'm not saying that Cartoon Network shouldn't be airing more action cartoons, and promoting them and rerunning them better. Obviously they should. What I'm saying is that I don't see what "history" Synder needs to remember; what is going to bring about the networks downfall by treating action cartoons like they have been doing? Because really...they seem to be doing plenty fine with the few they have, and wouldn't miss anything if they didn't air action cartoons at all, right now. The pendulum has just swung that way it seems, and action cartoons on pretty much all the major kids channels have been showing weaker ratings, and as a result they been treated less valuably and aired far less. This is a bad thing for us viewers, but not really for the network as far as it's executives are concerned, and I'm not sure what "history" is going to doom the network by treating Beware the Batman like the way they are doing.

Daikun

Quote from: Daxdiv on October 23, 2013, 10:17:07 PMAccording to my Free on Demand from my cable package, it has aired at least 11 episodes out of it's 13 episode season.

The article above states it's a 26-episode season. That would be kinda douchey for CN to pull it with only two episodes left. :whuh:

Daxdiv

Quote from: Daikun on October 24, 2013, 06:27:56 PM
Quote from: Daxdiv on October 23, 2013, 10:17:07 PMAccording to my Free on Demand from my cable package, it has aired at least 11 episodes out of it's 13 episode season.

The article above states it's a 26-episode season. That would be kinda douchey for CN to pull it with only two episodes left. :whuh:

I'm assuming they're pulling the same shit they did with Green Lantern where Part 1 of the series was "season 1" while part 2 became "season 2" or at least that how I always thought CN treated GL:TAS.

Peanutbutter

I agree with Cartoon X. Maybe CN isn't getting a fair share of profit from airing DC shows? If that is the case, then I could understand them being frustrated. As it is, comedy cartoons have been doing well lately. Maybe they could put DC Nation on like Thursday night and just promote it enough so it could do well. But if they're getting fleeced in their contract with WB Animation, that could be why it stays on Saturdays.

Spark Of Spirit

I haven't even gotten around to watching it yet.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

Me either.

Did this one have a toyline?
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Daxdiv

Do McDonald Happy Meal toys count? Cause those were the only toys I've seen so far.

Spark Of Spirit

So if this fails... what do they do next?

Maybe dumping TB&TB so fast wasn't the best idea.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Daikun

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on October 24, 2013, 09:49:35 PMSo if this fails... what do they do next?

Two options: Give ol' Batsy a break, or give him another comical cartoon. WBA's previous attempts to make a serious Batman series have tried too hard and fallen waaaaaaaaaay short of the high bar set by B:TAS. There's no way they can recapture the old magic of the Timmiverse, so they should just have fun instead of being moody.

QuoteMaybe dumping TB&TB so fast wasn't the best idea.

It ran a healthy 65 episodes; I wouldn't say they dumped it too soon.