The Retro Gaming Thread

Started by Spark Of Spirit, November 20, 2011, 05:19:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on February 08, 2012, 09:51:07 PM
I'm confused. That quote you just put up says that Rare begged Microsoft to change Nuts and Bolts into what it is....as in the game that we have now, and it says that the "original" concept was much worse than what we got. So, does that mean that Rare asked Microsoft to deliberately let them change it into a vehicle-building game? And what was the original concept supposed to be, then? Maybe I'm just not reading it right, though, or out of context....:-\
He means that the original version of Banjo 3 Microsoft wanted them to do was even more of an abomination.

gunswordfist

^GAH!

I'm still reading through the differences between Earthbound and Mother 2 (script and graphic change wise). I love shit like this.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Rosalinas Spare Wand

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on February 08, 2012, 06:00:59 PM
But yeah, Killer Instinct especially after Mortal Kombat's huge return would have made so much sense. Heck, making a KI character a guest character in the latest game instead of nobody probably would have been a smarter idea. Microsoft just doesn't know what to do with Rare.

This was actually brought up a little while ago during I think Game Developers Conference or E3. The gist of it is Killer Instinct isn't getting revived because the crew at Rare feels there's nothing the game can offer to stand out among today's video games, and something about fighting games not being instant sellers in this day and age.

I'm pretty sure the guest character idea was also brought up (along with the other Microsoft dudes like the Chief and Fenix). That one entirely came down to Microsoft not willing to pay for exclusive characters like Sony did.

Spark Of Spirit

Oh yeah, I bought a Game Gear today. It came with the carrying case (good for storage), 11 games, and the AC adaptor... which of course I will never not use with it so I picked it up. I had a Game Gear a LONG time ago but sold it off for space way back when. I need to find some of the older ones like Sonic 1, Fantasy Zone Gear, Land Of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse, and the Shinobi games.

A few are sports games, but I also got Sonic 2, Chuck Rock, Dynamite Headdy, Super Columns, Ecco The Dolphin, and Aladdin.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Commode

That's pretty cool about the Game Gear, I have one at home somewhere.  You wouldn't have any interest in owning the TV Tuner for it would you?  Because I know of a store locally that has one, and I thought about buying it for shits and giggles, since it won't receive any channels worth a damn anymore(it's analog).

Also, anyone got any recs for N64 games, maybe some good games that are lesser known?  I'm looking to expand my collection right now, but I want games outside of the usual ones everyone mentions.  I already have Perfect Dark(a game I haven't played in years) and Majora's Mask(a game I haven't played at all) on my list. 
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Rynnec

Obscure N64 games? Off the top of my head:

-The Bomberman games

-Quest 64

-Buck Bumble

-Battletanx

-Space Station Sillicon Valley

-Beast Wars Transmetals

Other than the Bomberman games and Quest, I haven't played the games on this list, but they do fit the bill of lesser talked about N64 games.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Jet Force Gemini was pretty good from what I remember, and while not necessarily obscure it was probably the least popular Rare game on the N64, so I'd say its worth a look. But then again I haven't played it in ages, so it may not have aged as well as I remember it.

Foggle

Buck Bumble is pretty awesome. Love the theme song.

Kiddington

If you're willing to spend a little extra, I'd go with these:

Harvest Moon 64
Ogre Battle 64

...of course, you're probably pretty familiar with Harvest Moon, and that's definitely about as niche as it gets (although the old ones are still a lot of fun, IMO). So that might not be your cup of tea.

Ogre Battle 64 is great, though, especially if you like RTS's. It's pretty much the only RTS on the N64 as well, which is kinda interesting.

Both of these can be pretty expensive though, so you might not be in the market for spending that much (they can cost an upwards of $30-40, depending on when you're looking).

Spark Of Spirit

Mischief Makers
Legend Of The Mystical Ninja
Goemon's Great Adventure
Blast Corps.
Hybrid Heaven
Rocket: Robot On Wheels (Suckerpunch made this. It's never getting rereleased)
Mickey's Racing Speedway (Rare + Disney)
Beetle Adventure Racing (I know you know this, but it bears repeating for EVERYONE)

Along with what everyone else mentioned. Body Harvest is also an interesting idea.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Quote from: Kiddington on February 10, 2012, 06:15:35 PM
Ogre Battle 64 is great, though, especially if you like RTS's. It's pretty much the only RTS on the N64 as well, which is kinda interesting.
There's also the utterly pointless StarCraft 64.

Rynnec

On Quest: While it has nothing to write home about, it does have a pretty unique battle syste. so it's worth checking out for that at least.

There's also the original Rogue Squadron.  It's a rather decent game that's overshadowed by its sequel. Shadows of the Empire is also a serviceable TPS for its time (it also has a killer first level).

Quote from: Foggle on February 10, 2012, 05:54:35 PM
Buck Bumble is pretty awesome. Love the theme song.

Talk about an earworm.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on February 10, 2012, 06:18:58 PM
On a slightly related but off topic tangent, Diablo 1 for the PS1 is a great port. Especially if you love same screen co-op.

Commode

Already have Mischief Makers, just knew someone would mention that one.  I have wondered about that Mickey Racing game though...

Thanks guys, I'll keep these in mind.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Rynnec

Quote from: Foggle on February 10, 2012, 06:18:58 PM

There's also a Command and Conquer 64.