The Retro Gaming Thread

Started by Spark Of Spirit, November 20, 2011, 05:19:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kiddington

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on March 23, 2012, 07:24:32 PM
Here's something cute, a top 10 list of sequels from 1996 that EGM would like to see:

Metroid 64  :shit:

Damn, what a shame. Although it probably would have been horribly dated 5-10 years down the road, it'd still be nice to have. They were apparently working on it as well. Too bad.

gunswordfist

Hopefully they would have had it be Super Metroid 2.0 instead of Prime 0.2
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Rynnec

Probably would have played something like Other M.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Rynnec on March 25, 2012, 08:10:54 PM
Probably would have played something like Other M.
I was thinking the same. Probably slower and not as good graphically, and probably less story, but I'd say it would be something like that.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

So at the flea market, I went in to trade some stuff, including my KOTH and Futurama DVDs, and while looking through the DVDs, games and comics at my usual place, I didn't find much that interested me. Until I saw a SNES for $45. I hit that up along with a Criterion copy of The Life Aquatic.

It came with 2 controllers and a free game, which choosing from the multiple cheap games they had (anything under glass cases was off-limits, although honestly, the only game there that I recalled that I'd want is Star Fox) I went with Goof Troop. After I play some of my old copy of Super Mario All-Stars, I'll plow through that.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Commode

$45 seems like a lot for a SNES.  I remember seeing them for about 30 bucks before.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Avaitor

Eh, I guess, but since I didn't have to spend any of my own money, I don't really mind.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Rosalinas Spare Wand

GOG is giving out Fallout 1 for free today, I signed up just for it and got about 7 free games just for doing that.

So cool.

Kiddington

Quote from: Comeau on April 06, 2012, 03:26:32 PM
$45 seems like a lot for a SNES.  I remember seeing them for about 30 bucks before.

In my experience, that's pretty average. Of course, if you don't want one that looks like this...

...they can usually cost a lot more. Finding an SNES in good condition these days, for cheap, isn't exactly the easiest task in the world.

Speaking of which, how's the condition of the one you bought, Avaitor? Is it still grey, or has the yellowing process already begun?

Avaitor

It's in pretty good quality. I don't notice any yellow or brown on it.

Oh, something I want to ask Desen when he comes on, is the Bonkers game any good? They had that too, but I honestly didn't even know that they made one, which is why I went with Goof Troop instead.

New blog!

Commode

See my SNES never turned yellow, and I've had it since '91.  I don't know if it's certain builds or what, but not a hint of yellow on mine.

On the flip side of dla though I found a Dreamcast.  Only 18 bucks too; with two controllers a copy of Soul Caliber and a VMU the total came out to 32 bucks.

Rynnec

Quote from: Comeau on April 06, 2012, 06:53:16 PM
See my SNES never turned yellow, and I've had it since '91.  I don't know if it's certain builds or what, but not a hint of yellow on mine.

On the flip side of dla though I found a Dreamcast.  Only 18 bucks too; with two controllers a copy of Soul Caliber and a VMU the total came out to 32 bucks.

Out of curiosity, was it with, or without a box?

Commode

The DC?  Without.

Actually the only consoles I have the boxes to are my Wii(at home) and my PS3(in storage).  But then again I'm not to worried about the boxes, because while they look cool the simple fact is they take up space.

Eddy

I've been hitting up my local Play N Trade lately and getting some retro games. Some games are pretty bad but I got them anyway. Some are games I used to have but traded in/lost/lent to someone and never got them back and I wanted them again.

NES:
Batman
Bionic Commando

SNES:
Bubsy
Daffy Duck: The Marvin Missions
F-Zero
Muai Mallard in Cold Shadow
Animaniacs

Genesis:
Quackshot Starring Donald Duck

N64:
NFL Blitz (not a sports fan but I hear this game is fun even if you don't like football)

I also ordered a Genesis to SNES converter that actually allows you to play Genesis games on the SNES. I have a Genesis stored away somewhere but I honestly don't know where and even if I did I have nowhere to put it. This makes things easier and, supposedly, it works very well.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Eddy on April 06, 2012, 07:26:30 PM
I've been hitting up my local Play N Trade lately and getting some retro games. Some games are pretty bad but I got them anyway. Some are games I used to have but traded in/lost/lent to someone and never got them back and I wanted them again.

NES:
Batman
Bionic Commando

SNES:
Bubsy
Daffy Duck: The Marvin Missions
F-Zero
Muai Mallard in Cold Shadow
Animaniacs

Genesis:
Quackshot Starring Donald Duck

N64:
NFL Blitz (not a sports fan but I hear this game is fun even if you don't like football)

I also ordered a Genesis to SNES converter that actually allows you to play Genesis games on the SNES. I have a Genesis stored away somewhere but I honestly don't know where and even if I did I have nowhere to put it. This makes things easier and, supposedly, it works very well.
Nice haul. And yeah, NFL Blitz was a ton of fun, me and my friend used to play a ton of it back on the PS1. We never really liked Sports games, but stuff like that, NBA Jam, Mutant League, Road Rash... EA was good at taking sports and really mking them something different a while back.

Quote from: Avaitor on April 06, 2012, 06:15:52 PM
It's in pretty good quality. I don't notice any yellow or brown on it.

Oh, something I want to ask Desen when he comes on, is the Bonkers game any good? They had that too, but I honestly didn't even know that they made one, which is why I went with Goof Troop instead.
I haven't played the Bonkers game for either the Genesis or the SNES, but I hear that the SNES one is a good platformer while the Genesis one is a bad minigame-fest. TDA shows didn't really do so hot on the Genesis, unfortunately.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton