The Retro Gaming Thread

Started by Spark Of Spirit, November 20, 2011, 05:19:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

You can currently get Earthworm Jim 1&2 for $3 total on GOG.

WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR? :zonk:

Spark Of Spirit

Not that I can get 'em either way, but which versions?
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 14, 2012, 03:36:31 PM
Not that I can get 'em either way, but which versions?
PC ports of the Genesis Special Editions. Apparently they run really well. EJ 2 is missing Lorenzen's Soil, though, for some reason.

Commode

The local video game store where I got my two boxed Simpsons games for cheap has an excellent copy of Majora's Mask with box for $60(obviously not the special edition, or the price would be much higher).  I didn't pick it up, but I'm seriously considering it, the only thing that's keeping me away is I can find ways to play the game for much cheaper.  So, what do y'all think I should do?  It's a cool item, but I don't know just how badly I want it.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Eddy

Lorenzen's Soil is my favorite level of Earthworm Jim 2 if only for the music.

Kiddington

Quote from: Comeau on April 14, 2012, 04:27:05 PM
The local video game store where I got my two boxed Simpsons games for cheap has an excellent copy of Majora's Mask with box for $60(obviously not the special edition, or the price would be much higher).  I didn't pick it up, but I'm seriously considering it, the only thing that's keeping me away is I can find ways to play the game for much cheaper.  So, what do y'all think I should do?  It's a cool item, but I don't know just how badly I want it.

Boxes are nice.

Is it sealed, though? If it's sealed, I'd definitely go for it, but otherwise... eh.

Eddy

So, I know the GameCube doesn't really qualify as "retro" but I was looking for some good, affordable suggestions of GameCube games. See, the shelf where I keep my GameCube games has enough space for about three more games and I feel the need to fill that spot up.

For the record here are the GameCube games I have:
Alien Hominid
Animal Crossing
Capcom vs. SNK 2 EO
Dance Dance Revolution Mario Mix
Donkey Konga
Eternal Darkness
F-Zero GX
Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life
Harvest Moon: Magical Melody
Killer7
Kirby Air Ride
Legend of Zelda Collector's Edition
Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
Luigi's Mansion
Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour
Mario Kart: Double-Dash!!
Mario Party 5
Mario Party 6
Mario Power Tennis
Mega Man Anniversary Collection
Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes
Metroid Prime
Pac-Man World 2
Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door
Phantasy Star Online Episode 1 and 2
Pikmin
Resident Evil Zero
Resident Evil
Resident Evil 2
Resident Evil 3
Resident Evil Code: Veronica X
Resident Evil 4
The Simpsons: Road Rage
Sonic Mega Collection
Sonic Gems Collection
Sonic Adventure DX
Sonic Adventure 2 Battle
Sonic Heroes
Soul Calibur II
Star Fox Adventures
Super Mario Sunshine
Super Smash Bros. Melee
Viewtiful Joe
Viewtiful Joe 2
Wave Race: Blue Storm

My local Play N Trade has Billy Hatcher for about $5. I've been thinking of grabbing that. I think they also have all three of the TMNT games. My friend tells me Mutant Nightmare is good.

Foggle

Nice, the non-HD version of Alien Hominid. I miss the PDA level editor from my old PS2 copy. :(

Rosalinas Spare Wand

Fire Emblem Path of Radiance and Gotcha Force are required for a good GameCube library. I'd recommend Donkey Kong Jungle Beat but the Wii port is the superior version. Also, you have the first Pikmin but not the sequel? I'd tell you to track it down but its got some stupid high after market price for some reason.

Foggle

I recall PN03 being fairly awesome. It's Mikami, so you know it's good.

Kiddington

DK Jungle Beat
Metroid Prime 2
Star Fox Assault (take it or leave it, at least it's cheap)
Super Monkey Ball 2

I'd also suggest Pikmin 2, but... well, that's not cheap. I dunno, I might have more for you later; kinda tired right now though.

Eddy

Oh yeah, PN03 is one I should keep an eye out for. Yeah, I'd like Pikmin 2 but for some reason it's ridiculously expensive for a used GameCube game (when I see it at GameStop it's around $40). Truthfully, I mainly got Pikmin to complete my trophy collection in Melee. Jungle Beat might be good. I've never played a Fire Emblem game so maybe I should grab Path of Radiance.

I used to have Star Fox Assult but kind of hated it.

Foggle

Star Fox Assault sucks except for the Arwing levels.

Spark Of Spirit

Super Monkey Ball 1 & 2
Timesplitters 2 and Future Perfect (if you don't have the PS2/xbox ones)

Billy Hatcher is decent pick up. I still have to get myself a copy. But as far as Gamecube goes, that's pretty much it aside from what everyone else listed.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Kiddington

Quote from: Eddy on April 15, 2012, 02:21:24 AM
I used to have Star Fox Assult but kind of hated it.

Quote from: Foggle on April 15, 2012, 10:42:22 AM
Star Fox Assault sucks except for the Arwing levels.

Yeah, it's really not that good at all, but I figured I might as well mention it if only for the fact that it's cheap, and it's 1st party.

The Arwing levels are good, but everything else just feels like a half-baked clone of Star Fox Adventures, only without Rare's added touch sprinkled on top.