The Retro Gaming Thread

Started by Spark Of Spirit, November 20, 2011, 05:19:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

talonmalon333

Quote from: Foggle on April 22, 2012, 11:12:35 PM
Quote from: gunswordfist on April 22, 2012, 11:04:16 PM
I wish long running series would have less spinoffs and more actual entries to the series.
Crazy talk. Operation Raccoon City and Outbreak are obviously far better than any of the main series Resident Evil games.

I don't know. Even those games can't compare to RE5's single player mode. I mean, just the fear and tension that comes from having a partner that's completely unresponsive and useless. Imagine how terrifying it would be to be in Chris Redfield's position, watching your only teammate waste all your gear before your very eyes.

Foggle

gunswordfist

Quote from: Comeau on April 23, 2012, 04:42:31 AM
Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on April 22, 2012, 10:50:30 PM
That's my major problem with the actual gameboy games. The trainers were ridiculously easy in that game and offered up little to no challenge for you unless you were specifically doing a level handicap run. In Pokemon Stadium, all of the trainers were on the same level as you so it really allowed you to have fun and explore the depth and strategy of the combat system. I honestly wish there were more games like it, personally, or rather that the main games actually did feature trainers for you to compete with which were that challenging, later on in those games.
Yeah, I noticed this doing a run through of Yellow recently.  The game starts off challenging when all you've got is Pikachu, who really isn't that good both offensively and defensively(given the fact he's a mouse) and of course has the disadvantage of having Brock as the first gym leader/the track through Mt. Moon, and you're pretty much forced to find a Pidgeotto in the Viridian Forest and start leveling it up quick.  But once you get to Cerulean and you can get Charmander/Bulbasaur it gets easier.  If you're just going though the game normally all the trainers you'll meet will almost always be at levels below you, and if you have a team like Pikachu/Pidgeotto/Dugtrio/Charizard/Blastoise/Venusaur(the team I had) you won't have any issues all the way through Giovanni.  It's after that that you are forced to grind, because at that point all of your Pokemon should be somewhere in the 50s, but at those levels the Elite Four will wipe the floor with you.  It's so strange the huge gap that lies between the latter game trainers/the last couple gym leaders and the Elite Four, you'd think Blaine and Giovanni would be tougher than they are.
That reminds me, the only time I've ever lost was against Giovanni who had that large Pokemon with a pouch, forget it's name and against my brother in a link match with our over level 100 Pokemon. I turned the game off right before Giovanni's pouch Pokemon completely gave me a game over, whether that was a game over screen or watching my Pokemon's HP completely drop to zero, but yeah, that still counts. :D
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Lord Dalek

1,000 dollars for an unopened Wing Commander The Kilrathi Saga on Ebay.

CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT?!?!

Spark Of Spirit

:wth:

I didn't know it was that sought after.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Kiddington

Foggle

Kiddington

Honestly, I still don't know what to think of that. Almost feels like an AFD joke that Amazon forgot to take down.

10 thousand dollars for a strategy guide. 10. Thousand. Dollars. For that much money, I could buy two NES World Championship cartridges... or a new car.

Spark Of Spirit

In pseudo-retro news, Pikmin 2 New Play Control is finally getting released in North America! Obviously this is to lead into the Pikmin 3 announcement. I've always wanted to try it as it apparently tops the original in every conceivable way including randomly generated maps, treasure hunts, and no more time limit.

In other news, gotta love old school hand holding:

See, I'd run.  :P
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Eddy

I welcome the NPC! Pikmin 2. Most of the New Play Control games are pointless but at least Pikmin 2 for the GameCube is rare and expensive so a NPC! version can be justified.

I went to Play N Trade today and grabbed three random N64 games I never played before. Wild Choppers, just because it was a Japanese game that was for some reason there (the game itself seems pretty bad with awkward controls), Forsaken 64, which I had no idea what it was but I took a gamble thinking it was a horror game judging by the mysterious label on it (spoilers: it isn't), and Mickey's Speedway USA (Diddy Kong Racing with Disney characters).

Spark Of Spirit

I always wanted to try Doom 64 since it's apparently an all-original game. Doom has to be one of the best franchises for shooters since almost every version of it short of the SNES and GBA versions and XBLA ports are fully original with brand new levels.

Foggle

Seriously? Shit. Gonna' need to track down a copy one of these days...

Eddy

My Play N Trade as a couple copies of Doom 64. Maybe I should pick one up.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on April 24, 2012, 10:54:38 PM
Seriously? Shit. Gonna' need to track down a copy one of these days...
DOOM (PC/SNES/XBOX/PS3/360)
DOOM II (PC/XBOX/PS3/360)
DOOM (PS1/Saturn)
FINAL DOOM (PS1)
DOOM 64 (N64)
DOOM 3 (PC/XBOX)

A healthy series. Though I heard DOOM 64 is more horror-y than the other games. I'm not sure how true that is.

A would pay full price for a Wii-U compilation of every single game and level in the series remade into one game. With DOOM 3 as an extra.

Foggle

Final Doom is also on PC, I believe. Also, don't forget Resurrection of Evil. Was that one ever released for Xbox?

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 24, 2012, 11:07:04 PM
Though I heard DOOM 64 is more horror-y than the other games. I'm not sure how true that is.
More horror than Doom 3? :huh: