The Retro Gaming Thread

Started by Spark Of Spirit, November 20, 2011, 05:19:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

Oh yeah, that music is sweet. It's been a long time since I've played Castlevania 4, so I'll hit that up again soon and get back to you. ;)

Rynnec

Hey Spark, what's your verdict on Harmony of Despair?

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Rynnec on April 30, 2012, 11:37:54 PM
Hey Spark, what's your verdict on Harmony of Despair?
I've only ever played two Metroidvanias- Circle Of The Moon and Symphony Of The Night! I never got around to any of the other ones because I have never heard a consensus on any of them. If anyone here has suggestions, let me know because I have no idea which ones are good past those two. (Which are great)

I was interested in Order Of Ecclesia though. It looked like a melting pot of Metroidvaia and classic Castlevania (only with a good jump like IV), and it was apparently pretty hard. Unfortunately, I can't find it anywhere.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Rynnec

Though I haven't beaten any of the Metroidvania's, from what I've played of them, I've probably enjoyed Aria of Sorrow the most. Portrait of Ruin was pretty good, but it apparently gets hard toward the end (and the method for unlocking the True Ending is also pretty hair pulling). Dawn of Sorrow is also pretty decent, though there are a couple of tacked on touchscreen segments (the most annoying being the seals you have to do to properly finish off a boss). Haven't played Harmony of Dissonance.

Harmony of Despair is more of an arcade-y sort of co-op game.

Spark Of Spirit

Those sound pretty cool. I'm not sure why I never got around to the other ones other than never seeing any consistent opinion on them. It's one of the few series Konami still does well with Contra.

I'm honestly hoping for a 3DS Castlevania to be announced soon. It's been a while since the last game.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

Harmony Of Dissonance is decent. It's the first Castlevania I beat.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

Super Hang On (Arcade version) was released on the Virtual Console today. This means we should be getting Monster World IV and arcade Monster Land soon. If anyone likes platformers, you should really look into them when they do.

I'm glad to see arcade games getting released again on there.

Spark Of Spirit

Confirmed!

May 10th, gentlemen. Get your points ready!  ;D

Foggle

Sega just released 10 more classic games on Steam:

Phantasy Star 2
Phantasy Star 3: Generations Of Doom
Phantasy Star 4: The End of the Millennium
Vectorman 2
Wonder Boy in Monster World
Revenge of the Shinobi
Streets Of Rage 3
Golden Axe 3
Beyond Oasis
Dynamite Headdy

They're $3 a pop. Which ones are worth picking up?

Lord Dalek

Phantasy Star II (great plot but a bit clunky)
Phantasy Star IV (THE GREATEST 16-BIT RPG OF ALL TIME FUCKYOUSQUARE)
Vectorman 2 (More of the same if you like Vectorman, a real if ain't broke don't fix it sequel)
Wonder Boy in Monster World (pretty good action rpg)
Revenge of Shinobi (HOLY CRAP ARE YOU SERIOUS?!?)
Beyond Oasis (really good action rpg)
Dynamite Headdy (its Treasure)

Foggle

Quote from: Lord Dalek on May 05, 2012, 02:28:58 PM
Phantasy Star IV (THE GREATEST 16-BIT RPG OF ALL TIME FUCKYOUSQUARE)
Vectorman 2 (More of the same if you like Vectorman, a real if ain't broke don't fix it sequel)
Revenge of Shinobi (HOLY CRAP ARE YOU SERIOUS?!?)
I already know that I love these three. ;) Just wanted to post up the whole list for people to see.

Spark Of Spirit

Wolfenstein 3D is 20 years old today. And it's still a great game.

Time to celebrate the proper birth of the FPS genre!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Well, I certainly appreciate the game for really kick-starting the FPS genre. I know others have argued that there were technically FPS games before this, but they were either obscure or weren't true FPS in the way that we know them. Wolfenstein 3D was the first game that started the FPS genre as we know it, today.

That said, I have to admit that I just don't find the game that fun after playing DOOM. To me, DOOM took everything that W3D got right and brought it to a whole new level, making W3D seem kind of stale in comparison whenever I try and go back to it, IMO.

Spark Of Spirit

It's sort of like playing SMB1 after SMB3. So much was improved and made better, but I can still go back and play the older one for what it was.

I imagine playing this for the first time in 1992 would have been mind-blowing. Though I don't think I played in until years later.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

That's kind of the thing, though. In that case as well, while I fully appreciate the former game for really starting up the genre as we know it, the latter game just improved on its core concepts so much in every conceivable way that it makes it hard for me to enjoy playing the former game when I know the latter does all of that stuff better.

So, yeah, I respect SMB1 (and for what its worth I can still play it and get some enjoyment out of it), but I just don't really find it as interesting as SMB3 (or SMW, for that matter, which I still like even better than SMB3, as well).