The Retro Gaming Thread

Started by Spark Of Spirit, November 20, 2011, 05:19:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rosalinas Spare Wand

I got my hands on Game Boy Donkey Kong today. So glad I'm getting some use out of my coins, there's a few that are about to expire.

Lord Dalek

Avaitor

So I just learned about the Neo Geo X.

This was my initial thought after reading about it.

Then I saw the price tag

Dammit.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

So during the week I beat two PS1 classics in Crash Bandicoot and Spyro The Dragon.

I mostly played them in between each other being that Crash is completely unforgiving, and Spyro can be a real bore at times to play through. So they balance each other out.

Crash 1 would be the best Crash Bandicoot game if they did the following:

• Not having to beat a stage in one life to get all boxes and get a gem (and therefore 100%)
  • Proper save points
  • The difficulty was not so insane at points
  • Some platforms are hard to see and judge distance on
  • Bosses were not placed so... randomly

Otherwise, it was a great game and still fun to play... just don't bother with 100% (and the secret ending is incredibly lame)

However, Spyro 1 I had never played before. In fact, I've never played a proper Insomniac Spyro before, so this was my first one. My biggest issue was how confusing some Dragons were to rescue, and some of the eggs you have to rescue are aggravating due to having to use the d-pad to do it (d-pads on full 3D games are kind of annoying), and some hubs are strange to navigate (a map would help), the game was fun as a whole.

Some levels were plain boring, some were annoying (GRAB THE LEDGE SPRYO GRAB IT ARGH), and the bosses were really forgettable (the final one being awful), but other than those moments, I was enjoying myself. I liked how all the enemies varied between using your headbutt and using your flame to beat them, the music was pretty nice, and Spyro was a cute little character. Graphics were pretty good for early PS1, too.

I have the other 2 Spyros on PSN, so maybe I'll give them a go next... After my PSP screen stops hurting my eyes.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on June 10, 2012, 07:57:07 PM
I have the other 2 Spyros on PSN, so maybe I'll give them a go next... After my PSP screen stops hurting my eyes.
Why don't you play them on the PS3?

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on June 11, 2012, 12:16:22 AM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on June 10, 2012, 07:57:07 PM
Why don't you play them on the PS3?
Told ya, man. I can't always use the PS3!  :P

The TV has been having issues on top of it (we've been waiting for a repairman for like two weeks now), so currently the PS3 is a no go.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Aww, that sucks. :( But it's really cool that you can play PS1 classics on both consoles.

gunswordfist

You've never played Spyro before? :-\

I just have fond memories of the game. Maybe I need to play it again.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: gunswordfist on June 11, 2012, 07:00:24 PM
You've never played Spyro before? :-\
I never played Banjo Kazooie on the N64, either. I didn't really like 3D platformers at the time.

It was probably a good idea I didn't play it, because I don't think I would have liked it back then.

gunswordfist

Hmmm, I never played Banjo Kazooie either. It was Rayman for me. :sly:
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

Mega Man X2 is also on the Virtual Console now.

Here's hoping they can get X3 on there since the SNES version has never been put on anything else, and the Virtual Console is always 100% accurate to the originals. (Except N64 games which have less blur and fog)

Foggle

Some guy who contacted me on Craigs List just traded me his Dreamcast for all of my Ultimate Spider-Man TPBs.

But this is no ordinary Dreamcast. This one can play burned games and stuff from other regions. And it's the sexy black model. SO FUCKIN' STOKED

Avaitor

Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Foggle

What games should I get? Imports and homebrew are cool, too!

I already know that I definitely need:
Power Stone 2 (he traded me the first one with the console!)
Jet Grind Radio
Shenmue
Shenmue 2
Crazy Taxi
Sonic Adventure
Sonic Adventure 2

But there's gotta' be a ton of others! Lay 'em on me!

Lord Dalek

DC's still got the definitive version of Ikaruga IIRC.