The Retro Gaming Thread

Started by Spark Of Spirit, November 20, 2011, 05:19:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rynnec

Quote from: Foggle on June 19, 2012, 02:39:05 PM
What games should I get? Imports and homebrew are cool, too!

I already know that I definitely need:
Power Stone 2 (he traded me the first one with the console!)
Jet Grind Radio
Shenmue
Shenmue 2
Crazy Taxi
Sonic Adventure
Sonic Adventure 2

But there's gotta' be a ton of others! Lay 'em on me!

Skies of Arcadia. ;D

That's pretty much all I got.

Rynnec

On another note, has anyone else tried to download Tomba on PSN today? Whenever I try to, it says "This content cannot be accessed on your account".

Spark Of Spirit

I just get a general error. Sony really hates this series. I can't think of any explanation as to why this stuff always happens in regards to it.

Quote from: Rynnec on June 19, 2012, 02:45:34 PM
Quote from: Foggle on June 19, 2012, 02:39:05 PM
What games should I get? Imports and homebrew are cool, too!

I already know that I definitely need:
Power Stone 2 (he traded me the first one with the console!)
Jet Grind Radio
Shenmue
Shenmue 2
Crazy Taxi
Sonic Adventure
Sonic Adventure 2

But there's gotta' be a ton of others! Lay 'em on me!

Skies of Arcadia. ;D

That's pretty much all I got.
Good choice.

Dreamcast is a beast for arcade style games, so if there's an arcade port, chances are it's way better on Dreamcast than any other system.

Foggle would enjoy:

Armada
Blue Stinger
Bangai-O
Bomberman Online (Online being down aside, it's great)
Chu-Chu-Rocket
Cannon Spike
Confidential Mission (get a cheap light gun)
House Of The Dead 2
Virtua Cop 2
Dynamite Cop!
Zombie Revenge
Last Blade 2
Fatal Fury: Mark Of The Wolves
Project Justice
MDK2
Sega Swirl
Space Channel 5
OutTrigger
Rayman 2 (widely considered the best version)
REZ
Hydro Thunder
Rent-A-Hero
SoulCalibur (Legendary port)
Tech Romancer (It's not a typical fighter at all, you'd like it)
Virtual-On: Oratorio Tangram (Same)
Sword Of The Berserk: Gut's Rage (Yep, it is a Berserk game)
Typing Of The Dead
Toy Commander
Tony Hawk Pro Skater 1 and 2 (best versions of the games)
Segaga (This is being translated, but you can't miss this)
Any racer or sports game made by Sega

And for kicks:

Half-Life 2 (Never released/finished)

Yes, I know you're not big on traditional fighters, but those 3 are some of the best.

Dreamcast rules.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

The Soul Calibur port for the Dreamcast was amazingly good.

Dead or Alive 2 was also a great fighting game on the DC (its the best DOA game by far, and the only one that I really care for), though DOA2 Ultimate on the XBOX is better (its basically the NGB of the DOA series).

That said, I know that Foggle doesn't like traditional fighters, so I'm not sure how much he would actually enjoy either of those games.

Spark Of Spirit

Tomba! is finally out on PSN. If you own a PS3 or a PSP, pick it up!

The game has held up great.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

I thought it was already out? I'll try and convince my baby brother to get the game. He got Rayman Origins yesterday and we played that (with one controller because his other two are broken)

Also, how good are the Dreamcast versions of Dino Crisis 1 and/or 2 (I forgot which one was on that console) I'd like to see a list of games that were better on DC than PS1 period.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: gunswordfist on June 19, 2012, 06:18:48 PM
I thought it was already out? I'll try and convince my baby brother to get the game. He got Rayman Origins yesterday and we played that (with one controller because his other two are broken)

Also, how good are the Dreamcast versions of Dino Crisis 1 and/or 2 (I forgot which one was on that console) I'd like to see a list of games that were better on DC than PS1 period.
As far as I'm aware, every single Dreamcast game that has a PS1 or PS2 version is better on the Dreamcast. Yep, that's right, even better than the PS2 versions.

I'm not quite sure how that happened, but it did.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

There's a funny story about the PS2 version of DOA2, which is of course inferior to the DC version going by anyone you ask. Itagaki himself said that one of the Tecmo higher-ups literally stole a disc copy from his desk to use for mass-publication copies just because they wanted to get the game out by a certain date, whereas Itagaki and his team were nowhere close to done working on the port. He actually said that he almost quit being a game developer when he realized what they had pulled on him. Thankfully enough, he at least made it all the way to Ninja Gaiden Black's release (and past that, of course).

Foggle

No dice on the light gun games. I only have a LCD TV. :(

I've been looking into quite a few of those games already. Thanks guys!

Also, I just went to the store and picked up Grandia 2 and Crazy Taxi! Also, Tenchu Stealth Assassins for PS1. ;D

Foggle

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the most exciting part... I got a brand new, in the box Dreamcast controller today, as well! And it's a European one with the blue swirl. :joy:

I'll probably... err... "demo" a bunch of DC games and then buy the ones I really like. I don't really have a problem with downloading games when purchasing them wouldn't actually benefit the developers/publishers.

This console seems really awesome. Lots of weird Japanese games for it. Just my type!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Personally, in terms of quality, I'd go so far as to say that it was Sega's best console (even better than the Genesis, honestly). Its just sad that it didn't do well for them financially, but even so it has a plethora of truly remarkable titles behind it, and to me it stands the test of time better than either the N64/PS1 generation as well as the PS2/GC/XBOX generation. Most people don't know it, though, because not a lot of people ever actually owned a Dreamcast. I wish I could find mine, but I have no idea what happened to it.

talonmalon333

I wasn't a big Dreamcast owner. What are some games on it that you guys are big fans of?

Avaitor

Just look up in this page and go back one, and you'll find a lot of recs. I'm using this myself, for when I get mine.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

The Dreamcast was probably their best preforming system since the Genesis on a world-wide basis. If it wasn't for all the debts that sunk them from the Sega CD/32x/Saturn debacles, the Dreamcast would have stuck around longer. Short of the Dreamcast getting Sony level sales at the time, the Dreamcast was always going to be their last console.

That said, it was still the best system last generation.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on June 19, 2012, 06:57:09 PM
There's a funny story about the PS2 version of DOA2, which is of course inferior to the DC version going by anyone you ask. Itagaki himself said that one of the Tecmo higher-ups literally stole a disc copy from his desk to use for mass-publication copies just because they wanted to get the game out by a certain date, whereas Itagaki and his team were nowhere close to done working on the port. He actually said that he almost quit being a game developer when he realized what they had pulled on him. Thankfully enough, he at least made it all the way to Ninja Gaiden Black's release (and past that, of course).
*snickers*
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody