The Retro Gaming Thread

Started by Spark Of Spirit, November 20, 2011, 05:19:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Speaking of Panzer Dragoon, I've heard great things about Panzer Dragoon Orta for the XBOX. I just found out that it was developed by Smilebit (the same developer that made JGR and JSRF), so that alone makes me want to play the game. It also seems like one of those XBOX exclusive games that never got any ports, so in other words its one of those few exclusives that makes an XBOX worth owning. Since I have an old XBOX that seems to work fine enough, I might hit that game up if I can find it for cheap enough online. I can't believe I missed out on it before, especially since the original XBOX didn't exactly offer up the most diverse selection of great games to choose from. That said, I do still say that while it was still just an XBOX exclusive last gen, Ninja Gaiden Black DID single-handedly make my XBOX worth owning.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Comeau on June 30, 2012, 11:10:36 PM
BTW, I have interest in buying a Saturn, is there any games for it though that I should look out for?
Find Three Dirty Dwarves, it's an obscure game that could only have been made in the 90s, and it's very unique.

Other games:

Astal
Burning Rangers
Sonic Jam (these have added features)
NiGHTS
Clockwork Knight 2 (I hear this includes the original, but I'm not sure)
Shinobi Legions
Panzer Dragoon (All of them)
Any Sega racer
Contra: Legacy Of War
Any 2D fighting game
NBA Jam Tournament Edition (Most likely the best console version)
Die Hard Arcade
In The Hunt
Dragon Force
Mega Man 8 (Rare, but it has more content than the PS1 version)
Mega Man X4 (Rare, but it's the best version)
Herc's Adventure
Virtua Cop
Virtua Cop 2 (I think there's a version with both games... I'm not sure)
D
House Of The Dead (The only version of this game anywhere)
Saturn Bomberman

There's a lot more if you can play import games on them, but the Saturn's a pretty good system. It had by far the best 2D of that generation of systems, so if there's a PS1 2D game- the Saturn version is always better.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on June 30, 2012, 11:36:44 PM
I'm not sure more content would make MM 8 good...

QuoteD
Ugh... Fuck that game and its sequels. Least fun I've ever had with a video game tbh.

QuoteHouse Of The Dead (The only version of this game anywhere)
There's a PC version too, actually. ;)

Speaking of HotD, I wish I still had a CRT TV so that I could play light gun games on my Dreamcast... :(

Avaitor

Doesn't the Saturn version of MM 8 come with a special anniversary booklet that you can't get in the PS1? I think that makes it worth looking out for.

As for Panzer Dragoon Orta, I own it and enjoy it. I don't know how it compares to the Saturn games, but I think it's worth checking out.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Commode

Quote from: Foggle on June 30, 2012, 11:42:07 PM
Speaking of HotD, I wish I still had a CRT TV so that I could play light gun games on my Dreamcast... :(
I got a CRT not too long ago, and yeah it had been forever since I had used the NES Zapper.  Right now it has my NES, Dreamcast, and PS2 hooked up to it.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Spark Of Spirit

Apparently Konami screwed up the Saturn version of Symphony Of The night, but since it's Japanese only, I wouldn't worry about coming across it.

Quote from: Foggle on June 30, 2012, 11:42:07 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on June 30, 2012, 11:36:44 PM
I'm not sure more content would make MM 8 good...
It won't, but it's rare and the superior version of the game. So if you want to play it, that's the version to get, and I think Avaitor is right in that it includes extras.

QuoteD
Ugh... Fuck that game and its sequels. Least fun I've ever had with a video game tbh.
No clue, I'm just going on recommendations I've seen. Some seem to like this series.

QuoteHouse Of The Dead (The only version of this game anywhere)
There's a PC version too, actually. ;)

There is? Where? Sega has never ported it to anything because they lost the source code. It's the only reason it wasn't in either Wii HOTD release.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Oh yeah, it's real. You can buy it here: HUGE EBAY LINK

Doesn't run too well on Windows 7, though.

Spark Of Spirit

Oh, it's one of those PC things they did way back. I also used to have Virtua Cop on my old PC... Unfortunately, it doesn't run now.  :(

Spark Of Spirit

Mario Tennis 64 is now on Club Nintendo for 150 points if you have them.

Avaitor

I really wish I had points and my Wii was still working.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Commode

I picked up River City Ransom for the GBA.  I don't even own the NES version, something I need to fix.

And I've been lookig around for Road Rash 1 and 2 for the Genny, but all I've found is Road Rash 64(which I'm unsure of the quality of) and Road Rash Sega CD(which I almost bought, but I don't have a Sega CD nor do I want to go through the hassle to get one).  Why are these games so hard to find?

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Comeau on July 03, 2012, 06:56:35 PM
I picked up River City Ransom for the GBA.  I don't even own the NES version, something I need to fix.

And I've been lookig around for Road Rash 1 and 2 for the Genny, but all I've found is Road Rash 64(which I'm unsure of the quality of)

I own Road Rash 64, and I can say that its definitely a good game, though its not quite as good as the PC Road Rash games that I used to play. Then again, I haven't played any Road Rash game in well over a decade, so maybe I'm thinking of them to nostalgically, but to me they were always really addicting. I will say that while the PC RR games that I played had better single-player, the N64 one had a really awesome multiplayer, though the single-player mode is still fun as well, and its addicting to win prize money through races and upgrade to much better bikes. Its also a ton of fun to trip up your competition or just flat out knock them off of their bikes with physical force.

Spark Of Spirit

For what it's worth the Sega CD version of Road Rash is supposedly one of the best ones.

I really wish I could understand why they stopped making these after the PlayStation/N64 versions. It's not like the series stopped doing well or anything. EA never makes sense to me.

Commode

Well I'd still need a Sega CD model 1(since my Genesis is one of the original models), which I'm still not sure I'd want.  Damn Sega, you should've just made it so the Saturn could play Sega CD games, it would've been so much easier since Im considering buying one.

Lord Dalek

IIRC, the 3DO Road Rash is usually hailed as the best of the bunch.