The Retro Gaming Thread

Started by Spark Of Spirit, November 20, 2011, 05:19:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

You can get those Japanese platformers and RPGs we never got in NA! There are a few good ones out there, though I think we actually got a lot of the great ones.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

Got to Spirit World on Doom II. Monster Condo gave me a bit of trouble. Is there seriously a chaingun enemy that can walk through walls and not be killed by the shotgun? I'm not sure if I was saying things or what but apparently I ran into twice and was slaughtered. Also, having half the level be dark didn't help. Thank God I knew where that one door was. I teleported to one area that looked identical to another one that was filled with those turtle-like(???) demons that shoot and when I ran into an unexpected teleporter, I thought that I was still in the same area and that they were brought back to life so I was confused. Took me a minute to figure out how to get out of that area. I think the area map helped.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Rosalinas Spare Wand

Going back a page but if you enjoyed No Mercy and Wrestlemania 2000 I'd suggest you go pick up the GCN and PS2 Ultimate Muscle games since those were also developed by AKI. They have a similar control style with the wackiness turned up a lot. Aside from that there's WWE Day of Reckoning 1 and 2 which were pretty much a modernized No Mercy for the GameCube. The only trouble that game really gave me was with submission holds since I believe that's the game that introduced that system of wearing down a body part to successfully pull one off.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Rosalinas Spare Wand on December 09, 2012, 06:14:54 PM
Going back a page but if you enjoyed No Mercy and Wrestlemania 2000 I'd suggest you go pick up the GCN and PS2 Ultimate Muscle games since those were also developed by AKI. They have a similar control style with the wackiness turned up a lot. Aside from that there's WWE Day of Reckoning 1 and 2 which were pretty much a modernized No Mercy for the GameCube. The only trouble that game really gave me was with submission holds since I believe that's the game that introduced that system of wearing down a body part to successfully pull one off.
Oh yeah, I had this game. It was pretty cool, though lacking a lot of the customization from the WCW/WWF games. I do still wish they were making wrestling games. They were the best at it, IMO.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I've tried some modern wrestling games. Maybe its just me (and it probably is), but I swear the combat in those games makes no flipping sense. I seem to randomly get prompts to do my character's special finisher without being able to tell how I can do it at will, and the ridiculously precise timing that they expect you to pull off in order to reverse moves is flat-out unreasonable. Why is it that a game over a decade old makes more sense from a gameplay standpoint than a modern game of the same genre? In No Mercy, it made perfect sense to me. You had a meter which showed your character's momentum and you built it up via successfully pulling off moves on your opponents in addition to taunting your opponent or getting the fans to chant for you through signature poses without getting interrupted by an attack. Once you're momentum meter reached its max point then you were temporarily in a state where you're enemies attacks would barely phase you and you could also pull off your special moves (of which you had various moves at your disposal, depending on the position you grappled you're opponent from). The reversal system was more of a random affair, but it at least made sense. You toggled the analogue stick to try and reverse your opponent's move when he grappled you, and if you had more momentum than they did at the time, then you're chance of reversing the attack was significantly higher. I thought that system worked fine enough, myself. Its not the most balanced combat, but it made perfect sense to me and was damn fun to play.

I've heard that some of the GCN, XBOX, and PS2 wrestling games did a good job of following in Wrestlemania 2000 and No Mercy's footsteps, but every since the Smackdown vs. Raw series started, the games have really gone down hill, IMO.

Spark Of Spirit

The first few Smackdown games (after the first) were decent enough, but they never fixed any flaws with the combat system. They just added more stuff and changed buttons around. Counters are always shoddy (in AKI games you could reverse ANYTHING with proper timing) in that judging attack distance is trial and error and most attacks are garbage. The games play like chores instead of being fluid like the AKI games.

I've heard people praise the Fire Pro games (which are basically Japan only), but I can't wrap my head around the lack of a grapple button. It makes it harder to do the moves you want when you want to.

Spark Of Spirit

1080 Snowboarding is the new Club Nintendo Reward.

gunswordfist

Ugh, level 30 in Doom 2 is giving me Hell.

After hearing you can get Duke Nukem 3D free from GOG yesterday and seeing a comment about how much Duke improves on Doom 2's style of gameplay, I checked my XBLA demo to see if it has 4 episodes and I ended up playing the first level again after not touching it for awhile. I had to relearn how to play due to being brainwashed by the Doom games. I actual forgot about some things and was pleasantly surprised. Having a Y axis for with my crosshair aiming, a crounch button, a pistol that was not completely useless and items like the jetpack. zCons are how you run sucks, I don't think there's splitscreen co-op for some stupid reason and Duke can be a pussy with how he screams and takes damage from falling 2 feet. But anyway, all the pros I mentions cements that DN3D will be one of the next XBLA games I get.

In other news, after getting my ass kicked by him in Soul Calibur IV, my baby brother and me played Gunstar Heroes for the second time together. We couldn't get past Green's level when we tried the first time weeks ago, so I decided to tackle that first. Then we proceeded to go through the other 3 first levels with him beating Black by himself. I forgot about the level right after that, I thought the game goes to the spaceship level after the first 4. Anyway, this is the level I'm on now.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

The 3DS card case is returning on Dec. 19th, guys. If you're looking for it, keep an eye out for that date!

Foggle

NiGHTS Into Dreams is now available on Steam! Yay! :joy:

Rynnec

Anyone here have any opinion on the Retron 3 bootleg console? I've been thinking about getting one myself once I have the money since it'd be cheaper  than buying all three consoles individually, and the fact that it can apparently play Super Famicom games no problem has me interested too.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Wow, a console that plays NES, SNES, AND Genesis games? And it even defaults to my favorite controller for 2D games (the 6-button Sega controller)? Why haven't I heard about this before? It sounds too good to be true! ;D

Avaitor

One of my local Gorilla Games has one, but the kind that can only play NES and Genesis games for some reason. It's $70, and I was actually considering it.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Foggle

Quote from: Avaitor on December 18, 2012, 11:48:10 PM
One of my local Gorilla Games has one, but the kind that can only play NES and Genesis games for some reason. It's $70, and I was actually considering it.
I'd avoid that, I think you'd be getting ripped off. Play N Trade here has the one that does all three for like $50.

Spark Of Spirit

I saw that on display at a small video game store, it worked really well from what I tried of it. It had SMB1, Sonic 2, and NHL '93, for each system and they all ran well with no hitches or control issues.