Quote from: Foggle on December 30, 2012, 04:15:20 PM
Quote from: gunswordfist on December 30, 2012, 03:53:40 PM
Quote from: talonmalon333 on December 30, 2012, 03:51:11 PM
Quote from: gunswordfist on December 30, 2012, 03:48:54 PM
Despite what some jackasses here think

Who?
One of them just posted beneath me. :humhumhum:
What? I love the PS2. :cry:
Dunno, man. Sometimes he's just spiteful.

But yeah, it's a great system. I do like the PS1 better for Sony systems, but the PS2 does have a solid wall of quality that's very hard to ignore.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

The jackasses are Spark and EK, not Foggle.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

I fail to see how listing it at #6 is a bad thing.

Just that I think Sony had one better console and both Sega and Nintendo had two better.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

The SNES bashes the PS2 to bits and dumps all of its broken pieces in a trash can. I mean, I'm not denying that the PS2 is great, but honestly it doesn't come even close to the SNES for me. Maybe its because I find that a lot of the highest rated titles on the PS2 are kind of overrated, and quite a few stuff that I enjoyed or some other great games on the PS2 got overlooked (stuff like Shinobi and God Hand flew under the radar while higher-budget games like God of War stole their spotlight, IMO).

Despite that, I still think that the PS2 is a great console. I like it better than the PS1 (and yes, I actually did own a PS1), and it was miles better than the XBOX and GameCube to me, but maybe I'm just biased for the 16-bit generation since that's what I grew up with, but the thing is even now I've discovered a ton of games that I never played in my childhood for the SNES today, and even just playing them in the past few years, I find that they hold up remarkably well.

Also, if we're going by last-gen consoles, then I'd say I also preferred the Dreamcast over the PS2, since I'm a guy about quality over quantity, and many of the best games that the DC had trump the best games that I've played on the PS2, even if the PS2 has more games overall and thus more good games, IMO. Also, while I'm at it, I like the Sega Genesis better than the PS2 as well, as I have discovered a lot of gems for that console which I never previously knew about, despite the fact that I actually owned a Genesis myself (I was one of the few kids who had both an SNES and a Genesis, and now I can barely afford one console per generation....times sure have changed).

Based on that logic, I'd say that I'd rank the PS2 as the 4th best console of all time. But that's just my opinion.

Foggle

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on December 30, 2012, 05:33:28 PM
Also, if we're going by last-gen consoles, then I'd say I also preferred the Dreamcast over the PS2, since I'm a guy about quality over quantity
The PS2 definitely has both. (And so does the Dreamcast.)

many of the best games that the DC had trump the best games that I've played on the PS2
Please list them! I need more DC games.

gunswordfist

And EK proves that he is in fact the only jackass here.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on December 30, 2012, 06:45:38 PM
many of the best games that the DC had trump the best games that I've played on the PS2
Blue Stinger.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: gunswordfist on December 30, 2012, 07:10:16 PM

Because I don't agree with your opinion and it makes you sad since you need people to constantly agree with you to believe that you're right? Yeah, that pretty much explains you in a nutshell.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Foggle on December 30, 2012, 06:45:38 PM

Soul Reaver (better than the PS1 version)
Jet Grind Radio
Grandia II
Skies of Arcadia
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 (once again, best version of the game)
Chu Chu Rocket! (Its far better than the title makes it sound, believe me)
Soul Calibur (Amazing port from the arcade)
Dead or Alive 2
Marvel vs. Capcom 1 & 2 (once again, terrific ports)
Power Stone 1 & 2
Virtua Tennis (And believe me, I do NOT typically care for sports games, but this one is just too good)
Crazy Taxi

Those are just a list of some of my personal favorites on the Dreamcast that I have actually played (and it was back at a time when I actually did really like to play RPGs). There are still a ton of great games on that system which I never experienced back when I had one. Some day I'll go back to the DC to hunt down those titles as well.

Spark Of Spirit

Chances are if it was a game on the PS1 or N64 (or PS2 in some cases) the Dreamcast version is the best version. Rayman 2, for instance.

Also, look into Outtrigger, Bangai-O, Cannon Spike, Berserk (It's decent enough, fans will get a kick out of it), Zombie Revenge, Dynamite Cop!, and the DC version of Sonic Adventure 1.

Foggle

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on December 30, 2012, 09:30:23 PM
Soul Reaver (better than the PS1 version)
Jet Grind Radio
Grandia II
Skies of Arcadia
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 (once again, best version of the game)
Chu Chu Rocket! (Its far better than the title makes it sound, believe me)
Soul Calibur (Amazing port from the arcade)
Dead or Alive 2
Marvel vs. Capcom 1 & 2 (once again, terrific ports)
Power Stone 1 & 2
Virtua Tennis (And believe me, I do NOT typically care for sports games, but this one is just too good)
Crazy Taxi
Hmm, I've played most of those games, and wouldn't consider any of them to be better than most of the good PS2 games I've played. But to each their own, of course.

I'll be playing Skies of Arcadia with Jay soon, and I know that's gonna' be a great one.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Foggle on December 30, 2012, 10:09:41 PM
Hmm, I've played most of those games, and wouldn't consider any of them to be better than most of the good PS2 games I've played. But to each their own, of course.

Power Stone 2 IS better than ANY of the good PS2 games out there. :srs:

Well, OK, except for DMC3, God Hand, and maybe just a few other games. But seriously, Power Stone 2 is such a fucking underrated gem. Its easily one of the most "genuinely" addicting gaming experiences I've ever had with any game.

Alright, for a more serious response, I personally like most of the games that I've listed more than a lot of the PS2 games that I've played because quite simply I find that most of those great PS2 games that everyone raves about are kind of overrated and on occasion downright boring. Personally, I'd easily take most of those DC games that I listed over a majority of the popular games from the PS2 library. To me, stuff like God Hand, DMC3, and Ratchet and Clank are the stand-out titles, but there aren't a whole lot of PS2 games near that level of quality from what I've played (and I have tried a bunch of PS2 games, despite never owning one myself, thanks to my friends).

I've tried and just can't get into any of the God of War games, I don't like what I've played of either Kingdom Hearts game on the PS2, I don't care about Final Fantasy, Okami was overrated (IMO), Shadow of the Colossus is EXTREMELY overrated, I didn't like MGS2 (and it got ported to the XBOX, anyways), and since I was no longer into JRPGs by that point (which made up quite a good chunk of the PS2's highest-rated games), all of those pretty much went to waste on me.

From my perspective (and I know that I'm in the minority on this one), the PS2 has a sizable quantity of good games, but very few of them are truly great from what I've played. Then again, I'm a guy who got used to not being able to afford to buy a ton of games (I mainly used to rely on renting them), so I often judged games based on their lasting appeal, as I was forced to replay a lot of my favorite games over and over again rather than just get new ones. I found that I just wasn't motivated to replay some good PS2 games once I finished them. Examples include Onimusha II, Soul Calibur III (thanks to a terrible replacement for mission mode, making me glad that this was the only PS2 exclusive SC game since I wasn't missing much by not being able to own it), and even the GTA games which I used to like a lot, but never felt like pursuing many of the side-missions and was typically done once I finished the main story-line.

That said, it probably sounds like I'm trashing the PS2, but no, I think its a great console and now that I have access to my brother's PS2, I still plan on hunting down a lot of classics on the system that I missed out on. I just feel that what I've played on that system that's considered to be among its best aren't really in the realm of "greatness" as much as they are just "pretty good."

As for the Dreamcast games I listed, stuff like Power Stone 2 and Jet Grind Radio have near infinite replay value and are insanely creative, which also helped them age better than a lot of other games from last generation in general.

And those games are listed are just ones I've played (there are other ones as well, but I can't recall them right now). There are a shit-ton of other games from the DC that were really highly rated but have since fallen into the realm of obscurity, so there are still a ton of classics I have yet to discover, myself.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I forgot to mention that either way, though, this is kind of a moot point for me in regard to which is the best console ever, because I still say that the SNES wins hands down, at least in terms of catering to my personal taste in games.

Spark Of Spirit

Well everyone knows my favorite genres are 2D platformers, arcade games (not just ports), and the occasional niche game. The Dreamcast offers way more of the latter two and the NES, Genesis, and SNES offer way more of all of them.

I also really enjoy how the PS1 had early experimental 3D games as well as classic 2D style games on top of it.

the PS2 had a lot of great games, but most really didn't appeal to me that much. That said, with so many games it kind of has to be a great console. Everybody was making games for it. But as a whole I tend to prefer what came on other systems.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on December 30, 2012, 09:13:37 PM
Quote from: gunswordfist on December 30, 2012, 07:10:16 PM

Because I don't agree with your opinion and it makes you sad since you need people to constantly agree with you to believe that you're right? Yeah, that pretty much explains you in a nutshell.
At least I didn't think the Sonic Adventure games were better than the best 2D ones while having little experience playing said 2D classics. :sly: