The Retro Gaming Thread

Started by Spark Of Spirit, November 20, 2011, 05:19:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

How well do the Streets of Rage games hold up?
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Foggle

Quote from: Avaitor on May 20, 2013, 09:35:35 PM
How well do the Streets of Rage games hold up?
SoR 2 and 3 hold up extremely well, although the latter is kind of unfair. The first one holds up decently, but not everyone will be able to stomach its datedness.

Personally, I recommend just playing SoRR instead, though.

Spark Of Spirit

1 = Only if you're a beat 'em up fan
2 = Perfectly
3 = Gameplay-wise great, aesthetics not so well
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I bought the trilogy recently. The first game certain isn't bad by any means, but its pretty average on the whole. The 2nd game is a marked improvement, and IMO the 3rd game is actually the best one, from a gameplay stand-point, and also the most challenging as I actually still haven't beaten it yet. Just keep in mind that these are short games, and they aren't incredibly deep or anything, so it'll just be some good, button-mashing fun. That can of course be a really refreshing experience when you're in the mood for it, though.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on May 20, 2013, 10:46:43 PM
I bought the trilogy recently. The first game certain isn't bad by any means, but its pretty average on the whole. The 2nd game is a marked improvement, and IMO the 3rd game is actually the best one, from a gameplay stand-point, and also the most challenging as I actually still haven't beaten it yet. Just keep in mind that these are short games, and they aren't incredibly deep or anything, so it'll just be some good, button-mashing fun. That can of course be a really refreshing experience when you're in the mood for it, though.
Did you play the Japanese version of 3 yet? It's honestly the 2nd best SOR. What holds it back from 2 is the overall enemies and bosses are a bit worst and ironically it's a little bit too easy. If you've been getting far in the US version then that practicing should make you good enough to beat the Japan version in one try.

Avaitor, play all 3 in order and then download Streets Of Rage remake. It'll make you appreciate the Remake more. SORR is my favorite beat em up of all time and the most addictive game I've recently played (the multiple paths/endings and all the unlockable characters and modes really help)
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

The final boss in 3 is dreadful, too.

It's a great game, but I just can't recommend it over 2. If you're a fan then play it and make your own judgement but it's just short of the full package that 2 is in my opinion.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

And the best boss in SOR3 is hard to get to iirc.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

GaryPotter

Bought Spyro 2 on PSN yesterday.

I forget how much I loved this game. I think it's better than Year of the Dragon personally.

Spark Of Spirit

Peanutbutter

That video is why I wouldn't mind Mega Man X9 being 3D. X8 was almost on the right track, but the difficulty was messed up as well as a few other things.

Foggle

What glorious voice acting. This will probably be the final hurrah of the original DuckTales crew... :'(

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on June 05, 2013, 07:38:39 AM
What glorious voice acting. This will probably be the final hurrah of the original DuckTales crew... :'(
Unless this does well and we get DuckTales 2!

But yeah, this is probably one of the last things the cast will get to do.

Spark Of Spirit

Sengoku 3 is out for the Wii VC.

This is a rare game and its one and only re-release so if you're a beat 'em up fan- go get it!