The Retro Gaming Thread

Started by Spark Of Spirit, November 20, 2011, 05:19:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

My first XBOX360 RR'ed on me. Then I got a new one in 2008, and it has worked fine for me ever since then.

Foggle

Okay, reading some stuff online, and I can't find any evidence of the PS2 hardware being low quality. But, from what I can tell, standing your console up vertically can apparently break the system by moving the parts around inside and damaging the motherboard/lens. My friends and I have always laid our consoles down horizontally. Perhaps that was the problem?

Spark Of Spirit

Don't know what to tell you, but when the PS2 first came out it had many problems as I read in gaming mags at the time. Some had problems playing blue discs, some had issues if you played movies, some had issues if you stood them vertically. My first PS2 had all those problems. My second one just stopped reading discs entirely one day. No idea why. But of the three consoles of that gen, it was the least reliable. Good on you for not having problems, though.

People can mock the PS3 all they want, but I've never had a hardware issue with it.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

PS2 was definitely a lot less reliable than the GameCube and Dreamcast. Those consoles were durable as hell. My friends and I experienced tons of issues with the original Xbox, though. But I guess everything we're talking about here is anecdotal evidence.

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on July 09, 2014, 11:17:28 PM
People can mock the PS3 all they want, but I've never had a hardware issue with it.
Mocking the PS3 is pretty passe now, it turned out very well in the end and at this point most of the haters are just shuffling around uncomfortably. Same thing that's happening right now with the Wii-U, actually.

That said, my PS3 full-on crashed within the first hour of me using it, and it likes to freeze at least once every other week. Nothing as bad as a completely broken console, though.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on July 09, 2014, 11:23:58 PMThat said, my PS3 full-on crashed within the first hour of me using it, and it likes to freeze at least once every other week. Nothing as bad as a completely broken console, though.
My Wii-U wouldn't read discs out of the box so I never even got to use it for like two weeks despite getting it at launch. So, yeah, I know how that feels to get a new system only to have it seize on you.  :)

Have there been any RROD style problems with the new systems yet? I haven't come across any on my own.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on July 09, 2014, 11:27:47 PM
Quote from: Foggle on July 09, 2014, 11:23:58 PMThat said, my PS3 full-on crashed within the first hour of me using it, and it likes to freeze at least once every other week. Nothing as bad as a completely broken console, though.
My Wii-U wouldn't read discs out of the box so I never even got to use it for like two weeks despite getting it at launch. So, yeah, I know how that feels to get a new system only to have it seize on you.  :)
:'(

Fortunately, mine only has a habit of not actually turning on unless I fiddle with the cables 10% of the time. Again, not a particularly terrible issue, but annoying all the same. Guess I've just been lucky as far as consoles go. *knock on wood*

QuoteHave there been any RROD style problems with the new systems yet? I haven't come across any on my own.
I don't think so. I know the Wii-U, PS4, and Xbone all had quite a few faulty units at launch, but they more just plain didn't work rather than dying a few months later. Think that's a pretty standard issue with new hardware, unfortunately.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

FYI, as far as the original XBOX goes, the early models used cheaply made Philips disc drives, which had tons of problems, and indeed my first XBOX broke down. Later models incorporated Samsung disc drives, and the second XBOX I got never gave me any problems....and now that I think about it, history basically repeated itself with the X360. Damn, Microsoft, it's almost like you planned for me to buy each of your consoles twice. In that case, I'm so glad that I'm not getting an XONE (as tempting as it will be to want to play Scalebound).

Foggle

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on July 09, 2014, 11:33:55 PM
FYI, as far as the original XBOX goes, the early models used cheaply made Philips disc drives, which had tons of problems, and indeed my first XBOX broke down. Later models incorporated Samsung disc drives, and the second XBOX I got never gave me any problems....
That sounds about right. I remember my friend's early run Xbox actually ate one of his discs and then wouldn't start up anymore!

Spark Of Spirit

Super Mario Kart is now available to download on the Wii U. Not sure why it came out a day early, but there it is.

Nel_Annette

Sweet. Though I'm not sure why the discount price is $1.50. Every other game I've bought so far that I bought on the original Virtual Console was only $1.

Spark Of Spirit

NES games are $1 and SNES games are $1.50. If you look into your purchase history you'll probably see that difference.

I assume N64 games will be $2 if they ever make the system.

Nel_Annette

RacattackForce

Quote from: Nel_Annette on August 06, 2014, 12:59:18 PM
Huh. I never realized that.
Yep, Nintendo generally scales the pricing in accordance to which system the title released on.

On a slightly retro note, downloaded a copy of 3D Classics: Kid Icarus the other day. Having so much fun with it, especially since the game autosaves AND has the same file/save format as the Famicom version.

Spark Of Spirit

This month's Club Nintendo picks. Donkey Kong is actually the superior Game Boy game, so if you don't have that one I recommend it.

Avaitor

Whoa, Zoda's Revenge for the Wii proper? I should see if I can scrounge up enough points for that.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/