The Retro Gaming Thread

Started by Spark Of Spirit, November 20, 2011, 05:19:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

Is the N64 considered retro now? I dunno.

Anyway, I listened to this earlier, and my memories of how I imagined Banjo-Threeie would be as a kid came flooding back to me. I couldn't stop the tears. :'(

Spark Of Spirit

N64 is four generations old now. It's retro.  :D

On the plus side, Grant Kirkhope seems to be contributing a lot of music to indie platformers these days. I do wish the old Rare guys would just bite the bullet and form a new studio, though.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on October 17, 2014, 07:57:14 PM
On the plus side, Grant Kirkhope seems to be contributing a lot of music to indie platformers these days.
Speaking of, have you seen this game? http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jonaskaerlev/a-hat-in-time-3d-collect-a-thon-platformer Someone on Twitter linked me to it earlier. It's coming out for PC this year and presumably Wii U next year. Its mere existence makes me happy.

This also reminds me that I still need to play the HD Castle of Illusion game!

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on October 17, 2014, 08:00:25 PM
On the plus side, Grant Kirkhope seems to be contributing a lot of music to indie platformers these days.
Speaking of, have you seen this game? http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jonaskaerlev/a-hat-in-time-3d-collect-a-thon-platformer Someone on Twitter linked me to it earlier. It's coming out for PC this year and presumably Wii U next year. Its mere existence makes me happy.

Yes, that's one of the games he's contributing to. Another one is a 3D platformer with a werewolf wrestler thing, I think.

I'm glad to see the old style of 3D platformer seems to be making a small resurgence. Even if it's only in the indie world.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Kiddington

I really hope it gets that Wii U release. I'd play it on PC either way, but I can't help but think how cool it'd be for Nintendo to have this.

Daxdiv

Quote from: Foggle on October 17, 2014, 08:00:25 PM

I'm actually one of the backers of this project. I need to go back to play it to see what else has happened. As far as the Alpha is concerned, it's shaping up to be quite a fun experience.

Kiddington

Quote from: Foggle on October 17, 2014, 07:54:24 PM
Anyway, I listened to this earlier, and my memories of how I imagined Banjo-Threeie would be as a kid came flooding back to me. I couldn't stop the tears. :'(

Awww man, how did I miss this?

Nuts and Bolts was a fine game, but if I could change history we'd have gotten this a thousand times over instead. And Rare would still be part of Nintendo, not the miserable rotting husk of a company they are now.

Spark Of Spirit

Yep, unfortunately, Rare is just wasting away at MS doing exactly what any other company could be doing in their place.

Not to mention, no one from the old days is still working there.

talonmalon333

You guys know how, in the NES days, you had those really weird sequels due to there perhaps being no concept of what a "sequel" should be yet, therefore leading to 2's that were vastly different from their predecessors? What do you guys think of those games on their merits?

Super Mario Bros. 2
Zelda II: The Adventure of Link
Castlevania II: Simon's Quest

At the moment, these three are the only ones I can think of. If anyone can remember any, feel free to post.

gunswordfist

it was a pretty experimental time. fan feedback/backlash is what probably made sequels into what they are today.

on a similar note, how do you guys feel about sequels/reboots/spinoffs that were originally intended/could have been for other/original characters such as ninja gaiden, super mario 2 and star fox adventures?
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

talonmalon333

I'd say the backlash for SMB2 gets made out to be a bit bigger than it actually is. The other two games I mentioned get a bit more hate, but SMB2 is mostly just considered a lower tier Mario game, which is really nothing to be ashamed of.

gunswordfist

i actually just meant the other 2 games and any old sequel that got a lot of backlash. smb2 was loved back then and then some fans turned on later on, as far as i know.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

The first time I ever saw SMB2 backlash was online. Growing up I never heard a bad comment about it, even when All-Stars came out.

talonmalon333

I think people just liked it less than 1 and 3.

But anyway, what do you think of those games?

Spark Of Spirit

I think SMB2 is an excellent platformer and I think Zelda II and Castlevania II were two games that would have been better had they been made after the team understood their respective series' better.