The Retro Gaming Thread

Started by Spark Of Spirit, November 20, 2011, 05:19:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

talonmalon333

How old were you guys when you first started playing video games?

LumRanmaYasha

I believe I was around 7 or so. My first console was the GBA and my first game(s) were Pokemon Blue and Yellow.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

My first ever console that I actually remember playing was the Super Nintendo, and I was about 4 years old and had no clue what the hell I was doing. I believe that my first game was Super Mario World.

Spark Of Spirit

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Daxdiv

I think either 3-5 or something. Used to play NES & SNES games at around the same time due to having an older brother.

Foggle

My parents gave me a Game Boy Color for my 6th birthday, but the terrible Bugs Bunny game didn't hold my attention for very long and I quickly went back to such unrefined activities as "reading" and "going outside." The following Christmas, my grandparents gave me my second game: Super Mario Bros. I've been addicted ever since. :)

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on February 25, 2015, 02:47:34 PM
My parents gave me a Game Boy Color for my 6th birthday, but the terrible Bugs Bunny game didn't hold my attention for very long and I quickly went back to such unrefined activities as "reading" and "going outside." The following Christmas, my grandparents gave me my second game: Super Mario Bros. I've been addicted ever since. :)
Was it Crazy Castle?
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Foggle

Here's a topic I've always found fun:

Were there any non-horror games that scared you as a kid? I remember renting Ocarina of Time when I was 8 and I had to take it back to the video store after 30 minutes because the spiders in the Deku Tree made me too terrified to continue playing.

Also, this bit from Donkey Kong 64 ruled my night terrors for years: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySQ_8FI9DHk It actually managed to spook me again on my most recent playthrough a few months ago!

Spark Of Spirit

Almost any 3D game with fog, really.

DOOM scared me pretty good, actually. So did Duke Nukem 3D. Those pig cops creeped me out.

Quote from: Foggle on February 25, 2015, 02:57:00 PM
It was this disgrace to programming:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3O2fMjgOnLE
Oh wow. He's eating a grey banana and repeatedly killing Daffy . . . for no reason. The level design makes no sense and loops the same things over and over again.

I just assumed it was Crazy Castle because it seemed like everyone I ever met had played it at some point. It wasn't very good, but it wasn't this:-X

Foggle

My parents actually almost got me Crazy Castle they said, but the dude at the game store told them it was awful and advised them to get this one instead. Really. :-\

What you can't see in that video is the fucking fall damage. If you drop nearly any distance longer than 10 feet without using Lola's umbrella, you die. It's wonderful.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on February 25, 2015, 03:22:24 PM
My parents actually almost got me Crazy Castle they said, but the dude at the game store told them it was awful and advised me to get this one instead. Really. :-\
Oh, owww. CC isn't great or anything, but it looks far better than this.

Quote from: Foggle on February 25, 2015, 03:22:24 PMWhat you can't see in that video is the fucking fall damage. If you drop nearly any distance longer than 10 feet without using Lola's umbrella, you die. It's wonderful.
Platformers will fall damage always irk me. I think only Donkey Kong '94 did it right since you had to learn to tuck and roll, plus landing on springs or water would save you from death.

Daxdiv

I was afraid of that shark in Banjo-Kazooie since I remembered it one-shotting me a couple of times. :<

Commode

I was very young when I got my Game Boy in 1990 or 1991, but it was the Super NES that I got for Christmas 1991 that got me hooked.  I didn't even know what "Nintendo" was until I got my SNES.  I still have my OG Game Boy and SNES all these years later, and they both still work fine.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

It's funny that you mention OoT, because both the Forest and Shadow temples creeped the fuck out as a kid. The well that you use to go underground as kid link was the worst for me. I used to beg my older brother to walk me through those sections, because I couldn't sit there playing them alone.

Oh, and I never used to know what a Wallmaster was. I literally jumped in fright the first time that one snatched me up in the Forest Temple and Link screamed in the game.