AR Book Club

Started by Dr. Insomniac, December 31, 2010, 03:28:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angus

Funny you should mention those two Dickens novels. Was watching part of Great Expectations last night and both feature Gillian Anderson.
"You don't have to eat the entire turd to know that it's not a crab cake." - Bean, Shadow of the Hegemon

Angus

I gave up on I Am Number Four for now; had almost been shipped overseas this month and it was a library loaner.
"You don't have to eat the entire turd to know that it's not a crab cake." - Bean, Shadow of the Hegemon

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Angus on April 13, 2012, 02:50:43 PM
I gave up on I Am Number Four for now; had almost been shipped overseas this month and it was a library loaner.
Refuse to read that book because of the shady behind the scenes stuff between the authors.

Foggle

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on April 13, 2012, 02:51:40 PM
Refuse to read that book because of the shady behind the scenes stuff between the authors.
Hmm? :SHOCK:

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Foggle on April 13, 2012, 02:53:03 PM
Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on April 13, 2012, 02:51:40 PM
Hmm? :SHOCK:
The original author was used as cheap labor to churn out the next Twilight, while the publisher, James Frey of Oprah infamy, would take almost all of the profits.

Foggle

Wow, that's fucking horrible. I wouldn't want to read that book, either.

Angus

Yeah, it's a sad backstory. They only put out two novels as a result.

Spark Of Spirit

Yeah, I posted a huge article on that one on the old board. Young Adult books are currently being destroyed.

Also, I'm in the minority, but I just don't care for Douglas Adams' work. I read the entire Hitchhiker series and it really didn't do anything for me.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 13, 2012, 05:49:31 PM
Yeah, I posted a huge article on that one on the old board. Young Adult books are currently being destroyed.
Eh, that's the exception instead of the rule. YA books seem to be getting more credit recently than ever thanks to guys like John Green.

QuoteAlso, I'm in the minority, but I just don't care for Douglas Adams' work. I read the entire Hitchhiker series and it really didn't do anything for me.
*gets pitchfork*

But really, after the first book, everything else starts getting less funny and interesting.

Spark Of Spirit

He was good at what he did, but it never resonated with me at all.

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on April 13, 2012, 05:59:41 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 13, 2012, 05:49:31 PM
Eh, that's the exception instead of the rule. YA books seem to be getting more credit recently than ever thanks to guys like John Green.
Good point, the attitude behind "manufactured" stories seems to be becoming less and less accepted and I'm glad for it. If I Am Number Four had succeeded that wouldn't have been good for anyone.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Angus

I noticed the shark jumping around the fourth book. The fifth one was hardly memorable. Dirk Gently was more interesting by then.

Avaitor

Reading Oliver Twist now.

Yeah, I'm never reading another Dickens novel again.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Foggle

Quote from: Brak's Dad on May 14, 2012, 11:13:00 PM

Good plan. Great Expectations made me ponder suicide.

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Brak's Dad on May 14, 2012, 11:13:00 PM

I liked the BBC miniseries they made out of it.  :(

Avaitor

I just hate his writing, so very very much. And it's funny, I don't think I've ever liked any adaptation of his work. I never cared for ANY version of A Christmas Carol, even Disney's or Scrooged, I couldn't even finish David O. Selznick's take on David Copperfield, and Oliver & Company was always one of my lesser favorite Disney movies.

I don't know why I dislike his work so much, but I just do.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/