AR Book Club

Started by Dr. Insomniac, December 31, 2010, 03:28:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

Sanctuary is pretty good. Apparently Faulkner didn't think too highly of it, though. I will admit that while I love many of his books, I rarely understand more than 50% of any given one.

Pharass

Quote from: Foggle on November 05, 2013, 02:12:35 PMI will admit that while I love many of his books, I rarely understand more than 50% of any given one.

Yeah, I'm fairly well-read, but Benjy's chapter of The Sound and The Fury was among the toughest things I've read in a long time.
In every age
In every place
The deeds of men
Remain the same.

Spark Of Spirit

I finished a read of Treasure Island. Nothing like a good swashbuckler, is there?

My favorite quote by the captain to John Silver (a crafty villain as always):

Quote"Very good," said the captain. "Now, you'll hear me. If you'll come up one by one, unarmed, I'll engage to clap you all in irons, and take you home to a fair trial in England. If you won't, my name is Alexander Smollett, I've flown my sovereign's colors, and I'll see you all to Davy Jones. You can't find the treasure. You can't sail the ship- there's not a man among you fit to sail a ship. You can't fight us- Gray, there, got away from five of you. Your ship's in irons, Mister Silver; you're on a lee shore, and so you'll find. I stand here and tell you so; and they're the last good words you'll get from me; for, in the name of heaven, I'll put a bullet in your back when I next meet you. Tramp, my lad. Bundle out of this, please, hand over hand, and double quick."
That's when I grew to like the captain.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Spark Of Spirit

I finished "Lucifer's Hammer" by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle. As far as end of the world scenarios go, it was quite exciting with many interesting characters and some unexpected twists. I have another book on the pile by them to read, being "The Mote in God's Eye" which I heard was a first contact story that I've heard good things about. First I'll probably go through "Jurassic Park" since I've put that off for too long.

I seem to be in a sci-fi mood.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

The Mote in God's Eye and Jurassic Park are definitely good ones!
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

Awesome! I definitely can't wait to get around to them, then.  :)

Peanutbutter

Any of you guys hear about the Gray Man series by Mark Greaney? There's four of them, with a fifth in the works. Greaney's the guy that got to work with Tom Clancy before he died. I highly recommend them, they well-written action movie in print form.

Pharass

I got Rain of the Ghosts for Christmas and am in the process of reading it. So far, it's very good with strong, believable characters and an interesting plot. Of course, we're talking about Greg Weisman here, so those things were pretty much a given.
In every age
In every place
The deeds of men
Remain the same.

Avaitor

As much as I enjoyed The Disaster Artist, there's one thing I don't understand- how on earth did Tommy come up with that pizza, and how does it taste?

Half Canadian bacon with pineapple, half artichoke with pesto, and light on the cheese. Never mind that the pizza came as a plain cheese. Inquiring minds need to know!
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

Finished Jurassic Park, and now I can understand why fans of the book were disappointed with aspects of the movie. It's still a great movie, but there's no question that I find the book better.

Gennaro, Wu, and Regis weren't even in the film and Hammond was a real piece of work in the book.

Still, all in all, it was a great story.

Avaitor

I finished A Dance With Dragons, and while it isn't as good as A Storm of Swords, it was much better than A Feast of Crows. Which makes sense, since trading in Cersei, Jaime and Brienne (although I do rather like Brienne as a character, even if her narrative never wowed me) for Tyrion, Dany and Jon Snow will end up doing that.

Now to just wait for Martin to finish these things. In the meantime, I'll just read about how MTM was made.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

I'm on the third book of C.S. Lewis' space trilogy.

Trippy stuff.

Pharass

Quote from: Avaitor on January 02, 2014, 11:55:41 AM
I finished A Dance With Dragons, and while it isn't as good as A Storm of Swords, it was much better than A Feast of Crows. Which makes sense, since trading in Cersei, Jaime and Brienne (although I do rather like Brienne as a character, even if her narrative never wowed me) for Tyrion, Dany and Jon Snow will end up doing that.

Now to just wait for Martin to finish these things. In the meantime, I'll just read about how MTM was made.

Personally I find Jaime to be a more interesting character than Dany and Jon (although I like them too). That said, I agree that Dance was better than Feast.
Currently reading the second part of Le Rouge & Le Noir by Stendhal. I have to say that the book's plot really became more interesting once the main character got to Paris and started to get mixed up in the various intrigues of the rich and powerful.
In every age
In every place
The deeds of men
Remain the same.

Avaitor

I can't seem to get into Jaime as a narrative character, personally. He fares much better for me on the show.

That seems to be the case for most people from what I can tell, though.

New blog!

Pharass

Fair enough.
As for a character that fares much better for me on the show, I'd have to say Tywin. Charles Dance pretty much steals every scene he's in, I especially enjoyed the scenes Tywin shared with Arya in the second season. Those were some of my favorite moments in the show.
In every age
In every place
The deeds of men
Remain the same.