AR Feature Talkback: The Top 30 Greatest Story Arcs in Anime and Manga

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, September 10, 2014, 08:53:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

It sounds like the same reason for why we decided to keep CP9 on as the representative OP arc in place of the Whiteboard War Saga. You and I both personally prefer the latter, but the former was just a better representation of the series as a whole.

At any rate, that and YYH, DB/Z, and RK's inclusion were the only really popular entries that we included on there. No Naruto, Bleach, or Fairy Tale crap. Just good quality story arcs that actually deserved to be recognized.

gunswordfist

i was going to read this but you guys are clearly hacks for not featuring fairy tale.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on February 14, 2015, 02:52:06 PM

At any rate, that and YYH, DB/Z, and RK's inclusion were the only really popular entries that we included on there. No Naruto, Bleach, or Fairy Tail cram. Just good quality story arcs that actually deserved to be recognized.

Yeah, most of our choices are very unique ones that I feel few others would probably choose if they were making a greatest arcs list. That's part of what makes it so special.  :thumbup:

Quote from: gunswordfist on February 14, 2015, 03:00:43 PM
i was going to read this but you guys are clearly hacks for not featuring fairy tale.

I can't take any opinion that our list is flawed because it doesn't feature a FT arc seriously.  :humhumhum:

Especially if it's anything after the Phantom Guild arc. (shudders).

Spark Of Spirit

I like the feature, too. There's some new, some old, and a bunch of classics. I would personally give this list to someone who is new to anime to help start them out.

Quote from: gunswordfist on February 14, 2015, 03:00:43 PM
We could always do a worst story arc feature if you want to see that show listed so badly.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

LumRanmaYasha

I'd be game for that, though considering most of the list would probably be Naruto, Bleach, and Fairy Tail arcs, it might be rather redundant.

I've been thinking a greatest fights in anime/manga feature might be neat too.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I was also thinking of doing a story arc list for Western cartoons or for live-action shows, as well, but I won't be able to write any long features until at least the Summer. But, whatever you guys want to do, if by chance you plan to write another feature when I'm also available, then I'd be all for another collaboration. If not, then I look forward to whatever you guys come up with. :thumbup:

gunswordfist

i'd be more interested in best western cartoons arc than i would be best fights.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Just off the top of my head:

Spoiler
Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes
Kang the Conqueror
Asgard
Skrull Invasion

Batman: The Brave and the Bold
Equinox
The Siege of Starro

Justice League/Unlimited
The Savage Time
Starcrossed
Cadmus

The Spectacular Spider-Man
Human Development 101
Criminology 101

Gargoyles
Awakening
City of Stone
Avalon
The Gathering
Hunter's Moon

Ba-Sing-Sei
Szozen's Comet

South Park
Imaginationland
Black Friday
[close]

gunswordfist

Great list! i would put the zhao and red lantern arc in there as well but that's just me.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Well, I did say just off the top of my head, so I would include other arcs as well, such as the RL arc.

Spark Of Spirit

You could probably also include Mr. Freeze's arc through the DCAU if you wanted. Nevertheless, I think the point is that there isn't really a lot to choose from to make a good list outside of these obvious entries.

That said, you should probably go watch them anyway.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I just listed about 20 great ones off the top of my head. Clearly there is a good amount of material to work with, and I wouldn't say that they are all obvious choices.

gunswordfist

i know, i meant my suggestions may not be list worthy here. most of yours are more universally accepted.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

At any rate, I'm not sure if I'd want to go for a top 30 list. While I'm glad that this one turned out good, it was a lot more work than what I had originally anticipated. :sweat:

Either way, though, since we recently did a massive manga/anime list, I kind of wanted to do something for Western shows, just for the sake of a little diversity.

gunswordfist

i agree that a top 20 or so list showing the west some love would be nice.

the simpsons has some good arcs, right? i am guessing "who shot mr. burns" is universally liked here.