What Are You Watching?

Started by Avaitor, October 21, 2012, 02:08:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LumRanmaYasha

Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes is awesome. I had zero experience with Marvel characters or stories outside of a few Spiderman and X-Men-related shows, but I really got into the show around the half-way point of the first season and it was one heck of a ride. I'd consider it to be one of my favorites. Admittedly, the show has some faults. The first seven or so episodes aren't as great as the remainder of the first season and season 2's last quarter is a bit weak, plus it never ends up resolving the whole Surtur story arc it set up. Still, when all's said and done, it's got more hits than misses and I'd strongly recommend you try it out.

While you're at it, I also think you should give Beware the Batman a shot too. While not on the level of BTAS or BTBATB, it's still a good show and I liked it about as much as the first half of Green Lantern: The Animated Series when it was on. Sadly, Cartoon Network hasn't resumed airing the series after taking it off schedule last October, so only the first 13 of it's 26 episodes are actually available to watch right now, but I still think it's a show worth watching if you're going through other good superhero shows anyway.

Otherwise, I agree with E-K's priority list, though I'd wedge BTB between GL:TAS and YJ.

talonmalon333

How would you guys compare The Avengers to Justice League (another team superhero show)?

LumRanmaYasha

I'd say it's not quite as good as Justice League season 2, but much better than the rest of it. Overall I actually liked it more than Justice League, personally, but I think most others prefer JL to A:EMH.

talonmalon333

My main problem with Justice League is that the first season is a bit of a slog. I mean, the second season was such an improvement in every way. The stories were better, and they justified the need to be two-parters far more.

I personally don't even have much problem with Unlimited. Sure, I did miss the dynamic between the main seven as a primary focus, but I also liked many of the new heroes, and I think it was a good idea for them to make story arcs take up a single episode. And of course, the Cadmus is great. The final season was definitely a downgrade from that, though, but I still enjoyed it.

Avaitor

Beware the Batman is good, huh? I'll have to consider checking it out.

When you think about it, these past handful of of years have been pretty good for super hero cartoons. At least if you forget Ultimate Spider-Man and its ilk...
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Cartoon X on February 18, 2014, 10:06:34 PM
I'd say it's not quite as good as Justice League season 2, but much better than the rest of it. Overall I actually liked it more than Justice League, personally, but I think most others prefer JL to A:EMH.

I actually agree with this wholeheartedly. Well, I'd argue that the Cadmus arc from JLU is also great, but aside from that and season 2, I think AEMH is the better team-based superhero show.

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: talonmalon333 on February 18, 2014, 10:14:55 PM
My main problem with Justice League is that the first season is a bit of a slog.

I think the first season of EMH is much, much better than the first season of JL. The first 7 episodes are only a little rough, but they are still way better than episodes like JL's "Fury" or "War World." I don't have any problems with Unlimited beyond not liking the first few episodes and a couple in season 3, but I still think I'd prefer either season of EMH to it when all was said and done.  But regardless of whether you'll find it better than JLU or not, I think EMH is a great show and something you'd enjoy. 

Quote from: Avaitor on February 18, 2014, 10:29:26 PM
Beware the Batman is good, huh? I'll have to consider checking it out.

When you think about it, these past handful of of years have been pretty good for super hero cartoons. At least if you forget Ultimate Spider-Man and its ilk...

Yeah, BTB is solid. Even though it's another "serious" Batman series, it does more than enough to distinguish itself and it has a fresh approach on the characters that I really appreciate. I certainly enjoyed it just as much as the first half of GL:TAS, and it's a shame that CN won't air the rest of it.  :( Hopefully they'll put it all out on dvd, at least.

And yeah, we've gotten some great superhero shows these last few years...except for some of the more recent Marvel series. Ugh. And with BTB off the air DC's tv animation output may refocus to comedies like Teen Titans Go!. Not really happy with that thought...

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on February 18, 2014, 10:33:29 PM

I actually agree with this wholeheartedly. Well, I'd argue that the Cadmus arc from JLU is also great, but aside from that and season 2, I think AEMH is the better team-based superhero show.

:swoon:

Avaitor

It's a little tough for me to say that EMH is better than Justice League, since despite my initial dislike of JL (can you blame me for bailing out of the first season early on, though?), I really grew to love it and I still pull out the DVDs regularly, but at the end of the day, it probably is the better show.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

The Avengers is surprisingly good. I have yet to go through season 2 (though I should since it's on Netflix) but I would about put it on par with the best of Justice League.

The Brave & The Bold and The Spectacular Spiderman should be your priority superhero shows, however. Those are two of the best. Shame all of Marvel's shows are dogs now, though.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

So did they replace Spectacular Spider-Man because of the recent Spider-Man movie? It seems like everyone here thinks the Ultimate series is vastly inferior.

Avaitor

Spectacular was sadly a casualty of two recent changes which were happening with Marvel at the time- Disney's purchase of Marvel, and Jeph Loeb's beginning run as the head of Marvel's TV department. Disney and Loeb both wanted a Spider-Man show to call their own, which sealed SSM's doom.

I'm also convinced that Loeb is the reason EMH's production was sped up. The show was in development before he came on board, and the plan was for the show to start when Avengers came out, but it started a year early and ended not too long after the movie finally came. Who knows, we could probably still have it, or at least not have had Man of Action's weaker run on the show without Loeb.

New blog!

gunswordfist

Hmm, I might check out Green Lantern. I just assumed it was an ignorable CG show. talon, ever watched Legion Of Superheroes?
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

talonmalon333

Justice League's second season is possibly my favorite part of the entire DCAU.

talonmalon333

Sorry, gunswordfist, I missed this post.

Quote from: gunswordfist on February 19, 2014, 03:49:15 PM
Hmm, I might check out Green Lantern. I just assumed it was an ignorable CG show. talon, ever watched Legion Of Superheroes?

I haven't. How is it?

gunswordfist

:) I really love the show. Simply put, think Teen Titans but much much better. If I ever complete the show, it'll likely be in my top 5 for superhero cartoons.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody