Casey Kasem

Started by Daikun, June 12, 2014, 04:38:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daikun

In case anyone hasn't heard about the news, the voice actor of Shaggy from Scooby-Doo for several decades was hospitalized recently due to failing health. There's been a bunch of disputing going on with his family during his caretaking (i.e. fights between his wife and children, being relocated without other family members' consent, etc.), and now a court judge has granted a request from Kasem's daughter to halt life support for Casey. He likely won't be with us much longer.

Peanutbutter

This should go under General Animation, not just CN.

Either way, this really sucks. Casey Kasem was one of those guys who was everywhere in my childhood, just like Dick Clark and Little Richard. That's terrible that his family are having issues with each other too.

LumRanmaYasha

Heartbreaking news. I hope his loved ones can resolve their differences and he passes on peacefully.

Inkwolf

I'm sorry to hear it. :(

Scooby Doo may be his most famous role, but I grew up obsessed with Battle of the Planets (the first Americanization of Gatchaman) where he voiced Mark, the leader of the team. He was also very well known as a radio DJ who was an announcer of a famous Top 40 program, for those of you too young to know.

His voice was a big part of my childhood.

DEFENSE!! DEFENSE!!___OFFENSE!! OFFENSE!!

Avaitor

I have to admit, I was more of a Josie and the Pussycats fan than Scooby, so part of me recognizes Casem's voice as Alex more than Shaggy, even though they were basically the same characters. Regardless, it's a shame.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Goldstar

Mr. Kasem voiced Robin on Hanna-Barbera's Super Friends as well. There I go showing my age again.
The Star Twins + cartoons + geek speak =Twinsanity!

Daxdiv

gunswordfist

Yeah, I just heard the news. So sad..R.I.P. Kasem. I loved your work.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

LumRanmaYasha

Very sad news. R.I.P. Casey Kasem. You did great work over the years.

Avaitor

Wow, that's a shot in the childhood. RIP
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Commode

Most people are remembering him for his voicework, and while he was a highlight in that regard, I was never a fan of shows like Scooby and honestly I recognize him more for American Top 40 countdown, used to listen to it on Magic 93.1  in the 90s.

R.I.P nonetheless.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Lord Il

Quote from: Peanutbutter on June 12, 2014, 03:50:01 PM
This should go under General Animation,
'Tis done.

As odd as it sounds.. I feel as though I sort of grew up with Casey Kasem. On the local adult contemporary radio station on the AM dial, I remember hearing the American Top 40 show a lot when I was a kid. And as Inkwolf mentioned earlier, perhaps my first exposure to his voice work in animation would be the English dub of Gatchaman (Battle Of The Planets). But I really didn't get a lot of exposure to his voice work in cartoons until after cable television hit my area in the early to mid 80's. At this point I'd be introduced to characters like Shaggy (Scooby Doo), Robin (Super Friends) and I'd be thinking to myself that I KNEW I heard that distinctive and familiar voice before from a while back.

So many laughs and so much fun.. More than anything he'll always be Shaggy to me.

Thanks Mr. Kasem.