Animation Revelation's Top 65 Cartoons Talkback Thread

Started by Avaitor, June 27, 2011, 10:17:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunswordfist

Quote from: Avaitor on July 01, 2011, 07:54:23 PM
Quote from: gunswordfist on July 01, 2011, 07:00:39 PM
Johnny Bravo did get neglected by me when I was a kid. Ed, Dexter and PPG had my attention at the time. I wish y'all went into when the show supposedly went downhill and talked about the supporting cast
Hmm, that's a very debatable question, but there were three different eras from the show.

The first season was pretty similar to Dexter and Powerpuff during the peaks of their runs. Pop culture savvy, particularly on the vintage side, clever dialogue, and sharp designs. A couple of differences it had from the other series was the occasional addition of talking animal side characters of varying intellect, as well as prominent guest stars all over the spectrum, from Adam West to the cast of Scooby-Doo.

Even though it was quite similar to some of their other popular shows, JB wasn't a big hit when it premiered, and creator Van Partible either left or was fired from the show (I forget which). The next part of the show retooled the show a little, messing with the designs, focusing more on situational humor than pop culture (although there's still some stuff to that effect, like a Some Like It Hot spoof and a memorable guest appearance with Luke Perry), and adding new characters Carl and Pops. I think this ran for two seasons, but 39 eps were made from this era altogether.

Even though the show became more popular after these changes, it supposed to end with 52 eps. I guess good ratings from the Christmas and Valentines Day specials made after the last few episodes encouraged CN to renew it. This time, they brought back Partible and he took Craig Bartlett, the creator of Hey Arnold, in as story editor.

The last season was kind of a return to the first season, cutting Carl and Pops down to passing references as opposed to supporting characters, but instead of 3 7-minute cartoons like the earlier episodes, had either 2 11-minute segments or one half-hour episode. It kept the designs from the previous era and brought in a lot of guest stars, including Alec Baldwin and Don Knotts, among others.

I honestly liked the whole of the show, but I did rewatch the first episode from the last season on Boomerang a while ago when I went to Atlanta. The one where Johnny went to Hollywood thinking he had a potential career in acting. It was a lot cornier than I remembered, and the guest spots were pointless. But still, if you like the other Cartoon Cartoons, I'd suggest checking out some of JB again.

As for supporting characters, you had Bunny Bravo, Johnny's loving Mama. She's a bit flaky sometimes, but she has a heart of gold and a lot more patience for Johnny than any other sane person would. Then there's little Suzy, Johnny's best friend and neighbor. Another person with a lot more patience for Johnny than most people should have, but I think she likes messing around with him and appreciates their friendship, since he thinks like a kid. Johnny thinks she's a nuisance, though.

Carl is a nerd that frequently messes with science projects and other stuff like that. He thinks Johnny is his best friend, but he can't stand him most of the time. They have solid chemistry with each other however, which is why Carl keeps on coming back. And Pops is the owner of the diner that Johnny and Carl go to a lot. He's occasionally their friend, but mostly a greedy old guy that likes to abuse people for money. Considering all the stuff that Johnny gets into, Pops has a field day with using the oaf for his gain.

And yeah, GSF, I think you'd love GTO if you checked it out. It shares the type of humor that you should appreciate.
Thanks for all the details. Looks like I got a lot to learn about Bravo.

How do you know what kind of comedy I like? All I talk about is violence and old cartoons. :sweat:
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Avaitor

Quote from: gunswordfist on July 01, 2011, 08:15:23 PM
Thanks for all the details. Looks like I got a lot to learn about Bravo.
Heh, no prob. The first season is available on DVD if you can find it, but good luck with the rest.

Quote from: gunswordfist on July 01, 2011, 08:15:23 PM
How do you know what kind of comedy I like? All I talk about is violence and old cartoons. :sweat:
Call it a hunch. ;)
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

gunswordfist

By hunch you mean you checked the contents of my harddrive. You guys need to stop doing that :srs:

Oh lord at everything being on the internet. I am only going to break my rule for Big O since my library was damn enough not to have 6 or so episodes in the middle of the show but has all the other episodes

Avaitor

Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

gunswordfist

I had no clue that Will Friedle was the Blue Beetle.

I am so glad FMA made the list. I wish there was less talk about the Homonculi and more about how cool alchemy is.

And Darkwing Duck is another from my list that made it. I need to finish the series

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Overall, while we aren't getting all that much reception, most of it seems to be positive of the comments that we are getting. Its also nice to see that a couple of people even appreciated the fact that we got HXH on there. Its definitely a unique entry in that its only something that you'd find in our list (of course that's mainly my doing, but I think it deserves its place, honestly), and overall now that I'm seeing the posts as they list 5 entries at a time I find it to be shaping up quite nicely and it looks better than before when you see each entry presented in an official sort of manner like that. There's no denying that the list is heavily influenced by our own opinions, but I'm glad that we managed to rule out nostlagia and most of our bias to look at the series in this list with a more objective eye.

Avaitor

I've seen a couple of people say that a series is ranked too low or too high, but I haven't seen anyone outright say that this list sucks yet. In fact, it seems like just about everyone keeping up with it enjoys the list as a whole, which is great.

I especially enjoy how activity has been rising since we started posting this. I don't think the list is entirely meant to thank here, since our "sister site" so to speak, toonzone, has made a couple of questionable choices lately, but I can't help but feel like the list has helped to promote activity on here.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

I'm pleased with the reception so far. It may not be getting as many responses as that awful Geek Cast list, but I assume that's because the people reading it don't really have any issues with it.

And for a list like this, that's rare.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

Just counted all the threads up, and our blog's thread has more posts than all the talkbacks for the Transformers week entries on tz combined.

That's got to count for something, right?

New blog!

Daxdiv

Quote from: Avaitor on July 02, 2011, 07:38:24 PM
Just counted all the threads up, and our blog's thread has more posts than all the talkbacks for the Transformers week entries on tz combined.

That's got to count for something, right?

I'd say so. Considering we also have non-AR members talking about the list, while I rarely even noticed the TF blog posts.

Also, great round this time. Would pretty much say the same thing I did on toonzone about this selection in that it's pretty well done.

Eddy

I just wanted to let you guys know that you've been doing a pretty damn good job with this list so far. Some choices aren't necessarily my cup of tea (for example, I was never big on Reboot or Beast Wars) but I can tell this list has had a lot of thought and care put into it. I'm looking forward to see how the rest turns out.

Avaitor

Next set's up.

And the hits keep on rolling.

New blog!

Foggle

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I really need to get back into watching the Red Jacket series. What I love about the series is that its one of the only long-running Japanese shows that I can think of that is completely episodic, so I never even bother to watch the episodes in order. I just see if the title of the episode interests me and then watch it. Its such a great series that has truly and honestly aged really well over all these decades. To me, Lupin III is an anime classic that is pretty much Japan's equivalent of what we would consider classics here, such as The Flintstones and other memorable Hannah-Barbera cartoons and characters from the time. Lupin himself is such an iconic character and in all honesty anyone who has seen a good portion of Lupin in his glory days would only be sensible to include his series on a list such as this. The best thing of all is that as someone who didn't grow up with this show because I wasn't born in Japan, I can say that this entry is not at all influenced by any bit of nostalgia. ;)

gunswordfist

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on July 03, 2011, 01:12:38 PM
I really need to get back into watching the Red Jacket series. What I love about the series is that its one of the only long-running Japanese shows that I can think of that is completely episodic, so I never even bother to watch the episodes in order. I just see if the title of the episode interests me and then watch it. Its such a great series that has truly and honestly aged really well over all these decades. To me, Lupin III is an anime classic that is pretty much Japan's equivalent of what we would consider classics here, such as The Flintstones and other memorable Hannah-Barbera cartoons and characters from the time. Lupin himself is such an iconic character and in all honesty anyone who has seen a good portion of Lupin in his glory days would only be sensible to include his series on a list such as this. The best thing of all is that as someone who didn't grow up with this show because I wasn't born in Japan, I can say that this entry is not at all influenced by any bit of nostalgia. ;)
Well said. My brother got me into the show when I was about 16. If one thing can make me get to the end of a night of adult swim, it was Lupin

Great set of animated series in this one. I am guessing Dexter is the 2nd highest Cartoon Cartoon on the entire list which is good. I had no clue Spongebob was the narrator on PPG. And I still need to which most episodes of Batman Beyond. Keep up the good work