Dan VS Animation Revelation

Started by Rosalinas Spare Wand, March 07, 2011, 02:43:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rosalinas Spare Wand

Forgot ponies, soldiers and robots in disguise, this show is the main attraction for The Hub.

Haven't watched it yet? OnDemand usually has an episode up, and The Hub has a few episodes streaming. It's the most recent of The Hub's offerings, but already its one of their best.

You've got one angry bastard looking for any excuse to unleash his rage, his unlucky friend who goes along with his plans (usually injuring himself in the process or gaining more debt on his credit card) and the not so normal wife who occasionally helps them. Put them together and you've got the most amusing sociopath on television. It's surprisingly mature for a Hub show as well, judging by all the death threats and extreme violence.

My personal favorite so far is when he faces the Animal Shelter. The episode proved that while he's completely off his rocker (he kidnapped his sick friend from the hospital and bought a ton of dynamite with his money), he's still got some humanity in him. Enough to spare the stray pets before the dynamite went off anyway.

Spark Of Spirit

I've been meaning to watch this, but like most Hub shows I have to go out of my way to watch it. It seems fun, though.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Daxdiv

This is easily one of my favorite shows on the Hub right now. I just love how Dan loves to get revenge against every little thing. I can somewhat relate to him.

One of my favorite moments in the show was when Dan set off a bunch of explosives at a car lot, Chris was trying to stop him. The explosives were about to go off, they both got into a car, but Dan wouldn't let Chris drive off until he buckled his seatbelt. Even Chris thought that was absurd. Dan has a weird moral code.

Sketch

This show is just funny. The writing is very clever and the characters are fun to watch. I got my father hooked on it after watching just a few episodes as well.

Hard to believe it's already aired over 15 episodes. Maybe we'll get around 26 before it goes on a break and we can have a daily dose of Dan Vs. on The Hub. That'd be great.

Eddy

Just caught this for the first time tonight. Looks like I found a show on The Hub worth watching besides MLP. Found it a lot funnier than I thought it was going to be.

gunswordfist

I just got a new terrible Dish package and I am watching Dan Vs right now. The Animal Shelter episode that is. Dan stuffed his poor friend that ate his poisoned meat loaf before the last commercial break. Watching Dan be careless with his friend's body has gotten my attention.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Peanutbutter

Having not seen the first season before the second, I finally got to see the first episode of Dan Vs. earlier today, and EGAD is it hilarious!  :lol: The part where Dan forced Chris' eyes open and then made him blink was hysterical! No wonder people fell in love with this show off the bat, I had some good laughs throughout the episode.

gunswordfist

I've been watching Dan Vs. with my baby brother and have been loving it.

Two days ago we watched Ski Trip, New Mexico, Ninja, The Dentist. I believe Ski Trip was a new episode it was kind of like when Homer and Burns were stuck in a snowed in cabin but with Elise and Dan. I've rarely seen them alone together so that was interesting.

I believe New Mexico is the first episode. How everone freaked out more than usual and sll the extra craziness was interesting. I laughed hysterically when Elise asked if Chris would jump off of a bridge if Dan asked him to and Chris kept on zoning out when asked.

I also laughed a bit too much when Dan said, 'We won! He exploded!' when the ninja used a powder pellet to disappear in the Ninja episode.

The Dentist made me wonder if the show goes from sitcom to wacky action adventure and not vice versa like I suspected but then I reminded myself that this was an early episode, not a newer one. It seems like they ironed out the show's identity crisis because I like Dan Vs having more of a Sitcom vibe.

And then yesterday we watched Animal Shelter and Traffic. I finally got to see some of Dan's random morality with the seat buckle scene and how he first found Mr. Mumbles.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Silverstar

Dan VS is OK. It's not my favorite show on The Hub (The Aquabats Supershow! currently holds that title), but it's still pretty good. Like Scooby-Doo, Inspector Gadget and Pinky and the Brain, it can get a tad repetitive at times since it's the same basic premise every week, but the clever writing and jokes make up for that.

The show really needs to start premiering at night again; it's sort of like a lighter Adult Swim show and Saturday afternoons are a terrible time to run premieres. Hasbro's problem with running Dan VS is that there aren't any other shows like it on the channel. It made no sense putting Dan on HuBoom! since it's not an action show.  If I were in charge of programming at The Hub, I'd launch a prime time or nighttime block of slightly older-skewing shows (kind of like a SNICK sort of thing) and have Dan VS kick off said block. I'd probably put Aquabats on there as well.
Twinsanity - the Star Twins' blog. Cartoons. Pop Culture. Comedy. Opinions. Commentary. Analysis. Geekiness.

Daikun

I'm quoting this from The Huntsman over at Toon Zone:

Quote from: The Huntsman;4094979This show held such promise back when I made this thread, and I liked it very much, but I'm convinced that tomorrow's episode is the last one.  The Dan vs. facebook page has been acting very strangely as of late, speaking of endings and goodbyes, and somebody said that they met one of the voice actors a few weeks ago and was told by them that it's over as well.  Season three was very small, especially since it was made up of several season two episodes.  By my count, season three only had about eight or nine episodes in it if you exclude the season two ones.

The Hub needed Dan.  It gave it something that its other cartoons weren't providing.  Without Dan, The Hub is going to feel empty.  Here is their most recent post, but you can check all of their posts for yourself.

Quote from: The Show's Facebook PageWell guys, it's with a bitter sweet air that we bid you a (meh, sort of) fond farewell. This is the season finale. Sort of. It's a? nevermind. You'll understand when you're older? Dan VS Summer Camp, this Saturday on that thing they don't like you watching unless they need a babysitter? hypocrites? G'bye ev'a'body, g'bye!

Silverstar

My guess is that some hyper-sensitive parent caught their kid watching the show, got a glimpse of Dan's sociopathic behavior and screamed "Bad role model! Bad role model!", failing to take into account that Dan isn't supposed to be a role model.

I don't know if this is truly the end, but if it is, then Hasbro has only themselves to blame. I've said it before and I'll say it again: Dan VS shouldn't have been airing during kid vid time. It especially didn't make sense being placed on HuBoom!, since it wasn't an action show. It should have been airing at night alongside other 'adult' shows. The Hub really needs to rethink their programming strategies.
Twinsanity - the Star Twins' blog. Cartoons. Pop Culture. Comedy. Opinions. Commentary. Analysis. Geekiness.

Goldstar

Yeah, I read that while I was lurking over at TZ. It certainly sounds as though Dan Vs is done. I know that today's episode is the season finale, but that message makes it sounds like "Summer Camp" could be the last episode of the series as well, and if so, that's a shame.

So I guess this means that some over sensitive parent(s) started complaining to The Hub about Dan being a bad role model and all that noise, thus forcing Hasbro to retire the series early. Well, Hasbro, you were running an Adult Swim-lite show on at 4:30 PM on Saturday afternoons. What did you expect? Dan Vs should have a) aired at night and b) should have had at least 1 other cartoon series for big kids airing as a companion show to Dan.
The Star Twins + cartoons + geek speak =Twinsanity!

Micki!

I didn't now of this show, thanks for pointing it out, I might have to check on it now ;D

Too bad it might not go on beyond the first season, I guess I can see why...
Perhaps there's a chance of it being picked up and showed on another channel..? Quality and humor-wise the show seems great from what I checked out, so it's not like it should seem that unappealing to other channels..!
A true genius does not need boundaries such as 'common sense'

Silverstar

Quote from: Micki! on March 09, 2013, 09:19:45 AM
I didn't now of this show, thanks for pointing it out, I might have to check on it now ;D

Too bad it might not go on beyond the first season, I guess I can see why...
Perhaps there's a chance of it being picked up and showed on another channel..? Quality and humor-wise the show seems great from what I checked out, so it's not like it should seem that unappealing to other channels..!

The show's just finishing its' third season, actually.

-But yeah, Dan VS is a 3rd party acquisition, not a Hub original series, so it could conceivably get picked up by another channel if the honeymoon is truly over with Hasbro, though I don't really see Disney or Nick or Cartoon Network picking it up. I could possibly see it going to Adult Swim...maybe.

Micki!

Oh a third season, then I must have read wrong somewhere, but that's more for me to look after at least, too bad it's ending there though, but I guess 3 seasons are still kind of much, so if it ended here, it's at least not like it was cut short or something..!

Does it hold up quality wise, throughout the 3 seasons, or does it just get better/worse..?
A true genius does not need boundaries such as 'common sense'