Dan VS Animation Revelation

Started by Rosalinas Spare Wand, March 07, 2011, 02:43:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silverstar

I saw that on TZ. It's great news if it's true, 'cause The Hub could use an older-skewing original comedy cartoon or 2 and frankly, that SheZow thing doesn't look like it'll be very good.
Twinsanity - the Star Twins' blog. Cartoons. Pop Culture. Comedy. Opinions. Commentary. Analysis. Geekiness.

Daikun

Quote from: Silverstar on March 25, 2013, 09:54:40 PMI saw that on TZ. It's great news if it's true, 'cause The Hub could use an older-skewing original comedy cartoon or 2 and frankly, that SheZow thing doesn't look like it'll be very good.

Agreed. I watched the intro on YouTube and I'm already not impressed. It's standard "meh" Flash animation and a concept that I've seen webcomics pull off better.

Goldstar

I saw the intro for SheZow yesterday. Man, what a weird concept for kids' show. A boy who cross dresses as a girl super hero? WTF? And if Guy has a sister, why doesn't she just wear the suit and become SheZow? It's one joke that might be fun for about a minute or 2, but not week after week. Also, SheZow isn't particularly flattering for either gender. A show about a boy who dresses up like a girl is a MUCH better idea than a show with an actual female protagonist.[/sarcasm]. Who is this show supposed to appeal to? Cross dressers? The sexually confused? I find it ironic that The Hub, of all channels is going to air this. I wonder if they know what they're getting into with this.

The truly sad thing is that apart from the cross dressing controversies, SheZow just looks bland and generic.
The Star Twins + cartoons + geek speak =Twinsanity!

Peanutbutter

I had a feeling that Facebook was just an odd message meant to promote the show itself. Still, good to know there will be another season.  :thumbup:

Daikun

Quote from: Goldstar on March 26, 2013, 07:47:52 AMWho is this show supposed to appeal to? Cross dressers? The sexually confused?

Sorry, but I gotta vent. I'm not angry at you, Goldstar, but this sort of mindset is a pet peeve of mine.

People need to get such ideas about "appealing to [relatable character type]" out of their heads.

Was One Piece or Pirates of the Caribbean created to appeal to pirates? Was Death Note created to appeal to murderous maniacs?

Just because the main character is a certain type doesn't mean it was created for them in mind. It's a character in a story, not a role model.

QuoteI find it ironic that The Hub, of all channels is going to air this.

I know. I'm surprised that any children's network would take a risk on this, especially considering our stricter standards for children's television than other parts of the world for content of this type. Nick and Disney (maybe even CN) would have passed on this in a heartbeat.

Goldstar

QuoteSorry, but I gotta vent. I'm not angry at you, Goldstar, but this sort of mindset is a pet peeve of mine.

People need to get such ideas about "appealing to [relatable character type]" out of their heads.

Was One Piece or Pirates of the Caribbean created to appeal to pirates? Was Death Note created to appeal to murderous maniacs?

Just because the main character is a certain type doesn't mean it was created for them in mind. It's a character in a story, not a role model.

Well, I was actually joking when I typed that, so no worries. ;D And yeah, I don't look for role models are relatable characters when I watch TV shows. On the occasions when there is a character that I can relate to in some way, it's merely a pleasant coincidence.

QuoteI know. I'm surprised that any children's network would take a risk on this, especially considering our stricter standards for children's television than other parts of the world for content of this type. Nick and Disney (maybe even CN) would have passed on this in a heartbeat.

I guess that The Hub is just that desperate for original series ideas to take this. How well SheZow is received by kids and accepted by uptight overprotective parents remains to be seen.
The Star Twins + cartoons + geek speak =Twinsanity!

gunswordfist

A few weeks ago, on Hub I saw that Curtis Armstrong was nominated for an Emmy. I approve ;D
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Lord Il

Only discovered Dan VS about a few months ago - I love it! Dan is one of those characters many of us can easily relate with because, hell, don't we all just want to exact revenge on stuff we don't like? ;)

This is a show which could go head-to-head and toe-to-toe with the Seth MacFarlane shit and still get admirable ratings - Seth does need some of that wind taken out of his sails. However, I still don't see it as being a show that would have Seth 'throwing the towel' because it seems obvious in the writing that they're holding back too much in order to satisfy its timeslot restrictions and (possible) age demographic. A shame.

Imagine Dan VS with the gloves off..
Curtis Armstrong and the rest of the cast with the gloves off! Oh YES!! Alas, this is something that'll never happen as long as it airs on a primarily children's network.

Quote from: Daikun on March 17, 2013, 06:57:24 AMI think it would be a nice fit on Comedy Central.
You ain't just whistlin' dixie!  ;D

gunswordfist

This remindts me that I've been wondering how much The Regular Show has been holding back. I want to hear commentary about this for both shows.

Lord Il

Three of my fav fan made Dan Vs vids with some clever audio editing:

Dan Vs Friendship Is Magic!  :whip:

Dan Vs FiM: "House Call"

Dan Vs FiM: Crayon Vision

Dan Vs FiM: Monster Under The Bed

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Lord Il on July 22, 2013, 07:56:45 PM
Three of my fav fan made Dan Vs vids with some clever audio editing:

Dan Vs Friendship Is Magic!  :whip:

Dan Vs FiM: "House Call"

Dan Vs FiM: Crayon Vision

Dan Vs FiM: Monster Under The Bed

Second one was kinda lame in my opinion (but that's probably because I've never found DD funny), but the other two were pretty good.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

LumRanmaYasha

VLordGTZ

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!  :cry:

hobbyfan

Yeah, read it on TZ. Curtis Armstrong reportedly confirmed on Facebook that Dan Vs. was history. Film Roman co-produced the series, and just landed a deal with WWE, so do the math.

Those of us of a certain age will remember Armstrong from Moonlighting and the Revenge of the Nerds movies. Another actor from the 80's making a comeback as a VA (i.e. Mindy Cohn, Lara Jill Miller). Who's next?

gunswordfist

Quote from: Cartoon X on November 19, 2013, 09:52:38 PM
I am so, so sorry GSF (and everybody else who loves the show)...
Ugh, that would include my baby brother. We were waiting so long for new episodes. I am going to hate breaking the news to him. :'(