The Greatest Anime Episode Ever Tournament

Started by LumRanmaYasha, July 10, 2016, 01:52:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunswordfist

"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

gunswordfist

4. Utena - What a funny episode, "Maybe she's a space alien!"lol I love this series animation.
3. Hilda - Just finished this.
Spoiler
I forgot Hilda had a heroic suicide
[close]
2. Moonlight Sonata - Sounded much less like a dude this time around. Conan unraveling this mystery was beautiful.
1. Power of Taboo - The use of "camera angles" in this episode was incredible. I love how Kurama won with laughter. The most clever fight in the series.

LumRanmaYasha

"The Moonlight Sonata Murder Case" -
Spoiler
The first hour-long DC case, and one that left a deep impression with me when I first watched it as a kid. It's one of the definitive cases in the series my opinion, a captivating mystery with lots of atmosphere, intrigue, and suspense. But what really stands out is the climax, and the tragic fate of the culprit that still leaves me melancholy and wistful. It remains one of my favorite moments in the show. And suffice to say, whenever I hear the Moonlight Sonata I immediately think of this episode. Is it the best case in the series? That's debatable, since there's been so many more classics that've come out of it's 800+ episode run. But it's the one that left the most impression on me when I was young, and is the first case that comes to mind when I think of the series, which is why I've always considered it my favorite.
[close]

"The Power of Taboo" -
Spoiler
My favorite episode of YYH. My favorite fight in YYH. It is the only fight in the series, and one of the very few I've seen in any action series, that doesn't require characters physically harming each other to beat them. It is masterfully directed, with crazy perspectives and gaudy colors enhancing the midscrewing and otherwordly feel of Kaito's territory, making for a wholly unique and memorable environment. This episode is also Kurama at his best, the last man standing within minutes of the beginning of the episode, and having to save his friends through cleverly timed strategy and unconventional means of getting his opponent off guard. If any episode shows Kurama's prowess as a tactician best, it'd be this one. But Kaito himself is a great foil, smug and sure of his own intellect but with the brains to back his boasts, making it all the more hilarious and satisfying to see Kurama beat him at his own game. I'd never seen anything like this in an action show when I was a kid, and it was just the kind of thing I'd always wanted to see in one, and I still haven't seen another battle of wits nearly as satisfying since.
[close]

"Nanami's Egg" -
Spoiler
Nanami episodes are always so strange, but also very funny. This episode in particular has a great metaphor for puberty and maternity going on with the egg, and it's nice seeing a more genial side to Nanami's character. At the same time, it also shows both her naivety and innocence compared to the rest of the cast, but also some of the ways she's matured as a person throughout the series. Out of everyone in the cast, Nanami probably has the most dynamic character arc in the series.
[close]

"When the Hot Ice Melts" -
Spoiler
Great introduction to the show's titular ship and an exciting climax to the show's first arc, and basically origin story for it's crew. Hilda steals the show as she often does in the early episodes, and her heroic sacrifice at the end is pretty badass.
[close]

VLordGTZ

LumRanmaYasha

Results:

Revolutionary Girl Utena #27: "Nanami's Egg" - 14
Detective Conan #11: "The Moonlight Sonata Murder Case" - 19
Outlaw Star #4: "When the Hot Ice Melts" - 14
Yu Yu Hakusho #69: "The Power of Taboo" - 23

"The Moonlight Sonata Murder Case" and "The Power of Taboo" move on to round 2! The next match will be up shortly.

gunswordfist

Gettin' Jigen With It? Really?! Really...

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Damn! Another tough one. I'll have to re-watch that Lupin episode and also really think about the placement of the other three.

Foggle

Nice, only one I need to watch. I can probably actually vote this time!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

OK, here goes:

"The Real Folk Blues (Part 2)"
"Her Problem"
"Gettin' Jigen With It"
"Scarlet Eyes X Final Battle X Cost of Life"

I'll save my explanations for later, but all are great episodes in my eyes. That said, while I love the Yorknew City arc to death, that HXH episode works much better in the context of the grand scheme of the arc rather than as a stand-alone piece, which is why I put it last. But that fight in the middle third with that brilliantly smooth animation set against an ominously symbolic blood-red moon is one of my favorite scenes from any anime, so that's definitely worth mentioning.

Avaitor

I've gotta rewatch the FMP and HXH episodes, which I'll try to do tomorrow.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

LumRanmaYasha

"The Real Folk Blues (Part 2)" -
Spoiler
One of the all-time classic anime finales. Spike's past finally catches up to him, and the dream of a life with Julia that he'd always hoped for is shattered, bringing him back to cold reality and accepting his fate. Not that Spike sets out to die, but he's no longer running away in fear of it, and confronts his past and Vicious head on to give himself closure, and finally, truly, set himself free. While the ending is ambiguous, many clues, like the doves flying by and that star fading out in the ending, make it pretty clear that Spike met his end. It's tragic, but he goes out on his own terms, in the true spirit of a cowboy.
[close]

"Her Problem" -
Spoiler
This is a great character development episode for Kaname. For the first time, she doesn't have Sosuke around to protect her, so she has to figure out a way to protect herself and figure out what's going on. Her strategy shows her cleverness and resourcefulness eve though she's in a dangerous situation and way in over her head, and also shows how much she's learned and grown from her experiences with Sosuke. Up to this point Kaname had been overshined by Sosuke in terms of characterization and depth of character, but with this episode her character arc becomes much more compelling and elevates her into a strong character in her own right.
[close]

"Scarlet Eyes X Final Battle X Cost of Life" -
Spoiler
The colors and ambience during the battle between Kurapika and Uvogin is a thing of beauty. The dark, muted palette conveys the grim atmosphere of the scene while also highlighting the blood red color of Kurapika's scarlet eyes and the bloodshed he's forced to commit. Kurapika's morality is tested here as he crosses the line into murder, getting revenge for the murder of his clan but at the cost of a bit of his own innocence and soul. The dripping red light that falls off the moon during the scene is a great depiction of the solemnity of the moment, but the most memorable image to me is the way Kurapika clutches his face in horror and disgust after the deed is done. It's visceral and unsettling. While Kurapika burying Uvogin after the fight is done shows that he hasn't lost his sense of honor or his belief in justice, it's become clear that getting revenge on the Troupe and getting back his clans eyes is only going to torment him with the burden of having blood on his hands, growing the emptiness in his soul instead of filling it.
[close]

"Gettin' Jigen With It" -
Spoiler
Jigen-focused episodes tend to involve him helping out and being betrayed by a woman he falls in love with, and this is a pretty archetypal example. But it's a good story, and the woman this time is pretty sympathetic even though she's just using Jigen for her own eds, and the ending is rather satisfying if not bittersweet. In terms of Part II Jigen episodes, I think "The Rose and the Pistol" is probably my favorite, but the setting and premise of this one help make it stand out against others of it's nature nonetheless.
[close]

Spark Of Spirit

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

Same as Spark.

I watched the dub of HXH for this one, since I saw it was available and didn't know that they finished it past the first volume. It's really not that good. Leorio is fine, but the younger hunters don't sound right at all. 2011's dub is much better thus far.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

gunswordfist

Oh right, I nominated the Hunter X Hunter episode, didn't I?