Things That Bother You About Gaming

Started by Spark Of Spirit, May 17, 2011, 03:10:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

Quote from: gunswordfist on June 14, 2011, 11:13:28 AM
Mass Effect 2 is Damn near unplayable. I am going to have to suffer through it again to do every decision I want to right for a Paragon and a separate Renegade file. Ugh.

I wish developers would focus on filling in the blanks that older 3D games had instead of focusing on gimmicks.
I... thought you loved Mass Effect 2? :zonk:

gunswordfist

Shit, the edit didn't go through. I meant 1.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

gunswordfist

I was thinking about getting Mortal Kombat and multiplayer another game. It was down to Crysis 2 and Marvel Vs Capcom 3 and I was really leaning towards MVC3. Then I found out the game had no Ken  :wth: How could they leave out the greatest fighting game character ever?!! Deal breaker. I am getting Crysis 2.

Foggle

This is more me being an OCD asshole than anything, but fuck GameStop. Whenever I buy a used game from them, I always feel the need to remove their price stickers from the box (ruins the aesthetic or something, I don't even know why I do it, myself). But they always put, like, five of them on there (and sometimes on the actual cover art slip, too - wtf!). They usually don't come off easily and leave sticky shit and rips everywhere and it makes me sad. Urgh.

Commode

Quote from: Foggle on June 22, 2011, 12:27:55 AM
This is more me being an OCD asshole than anything, but fuck GameStop. Whenever I buy a used game from them, I always feel the need to remove their price stickers from the box (ruins the aesthetic or something, I don't even know why I do it, myself). But they always put, like, five of them on there (and sometimes on the actual cover art slip, too - wtf!). They usually don't come off easily and leave sticky shit and rips everywhere and it makes me sad. Urgh.
I'm like that too.  Usually what I use to get the sticky stuff off is a little bit of paint thinner(just a small dot or two; if you put too much you can fuck up the package even more) and a napkin or towel or something.  It's the same thing I used to do with some of the Hot Wheels I used to buy and the price stickers would be stuck all over the card.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Yeah, I'm also the same way about that. It just bugs me like hell with all of those needless stickers on there, to the point where I just gave up when I bought my used copy of DMC4 with 2 of those nearly impossible to remove stickers on both the front AND back, each. Why the fuck do you even need more than 1? The least that they could do is put a plastic wrap of some sort over the games and then put the stickers on that so that so that it will still be displayed as a used copy of a game but at least you won't have to bother peeling off all of those stickers that leave that sticky gunk all over your game case. I actually like my collection to look as neat as possible (I just like to be organized about things, in general).

Spark Of Spirit

I was watching Pokecapn's Let's Play of Sonic Unleashed and one of them said something I agree with 100%.

"Hey game designers, how about putting the entire 100 button presses of QTEs up front and just have me do them now instead of in the middle of a fucking level interrupting my fun with this crap that nobody enjoys."

Seriously, why not just have an option in the menu "every QTE in the game" and then let me do that so that I don't have to see that crap interrupt my fun. Since it seems like not having them at all isn't even an option.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Desensitized on June 22, 2011, 07:34:48 PM
I was watching Pokecapn's Let's Play of Sonic Unleashed and one of them said something I agree with 100%.

"Hey game designers, how about putting the entire 100 button presses of QTEs up front and just have me do them now instead of in the middle of a fucking level interrupting my fun with this crap that nobody enjoys."

I kind of find it funny that you're complaining about this when the gameplay we've seen of modern Sonic in Sonic Generations does exactly the same thing. I've seen all of the demo videos, and the classic Sonic stages look great, but the modern ones look like they are straight out of Unleashed. I don't know what difference you see in them, but they are basically just QTE-fests that you barely have any control over.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on June 22, 2011, 08:09:32 PM
Quote from: Desensitized on June 22, 2011, 07:34:48 PM

I kind of find it funny that you're complaining about this when the gameplay we've seen of modern Sonic in Sonic Generations does exactly the same thing. I've seen all of the demo videos, and the classic Sonic stages look great, but the modern ones look like they are straight out of Unleashed. I don't know what difference you see in them, but they are basically just QTE-fests that you barely have any control over.
There are no QTEs in Sonic Generations or Sonic Colors. Neither are there flying segments in the tornado that span for five minutes that are nothing but QTEs nor does it have boss battles where you have to mash QTEs to actually do real damage to the boss nor does it have 5 strings of 5 button press QTEs in mid-air that kill you if you don't push them fast enough.

In Sonic Unleashed, not having fast reaction time leads to death, in Sonic Colors and Generations (especially in City Escape) it leads you falling on a lower path just like the old games do. Unleashed was in a whole other league with QTE bullshit and killing you for imperfections than any other Sonic game by far.

So yeah, I'm interested in Generations because Unleashed without the bullshit would be a great game and that's basically what Colors was and Generations looks to be a step up from that. Hell, even City Escape looks better than the Dreamcast version with multiple paths all over the stage and almost no usage of play fast or die like Unleashed had.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Quote from: Desensitized on June 22, 2011, 08:26:58 PM
Unleashed was in a whole other league with QTE bullshit and killing you for imperfections than any other Sonic game by far.
I'd argue that '06 was actually worse in that regard. The camera in that game made Ninja Gaiden 2's look godly, and nearly every level was enragingly tedious.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Uh, yeah, I've watched the demos for Generations. It may have gotten rid of the button prompts, but the gameplay in the Modern Sonic levels is still linear as fuck. It looks like 90% of the time the player has no control over what he does aside from occasionally jumping once or twice to gain height or some shit like that. As far as I'm concerned, that's hardly an improvement over Unleashed's QTE-fest since its still the game doing 90% of the work for you and now its just you doing actions without an actual button appearing on screen telling you what to do, but its still very scripted gameplay in that regard.

Spark Of Spirit

There is no Sonic game from 2006. None.

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on June 22, 2011, 08:30:21 PM
Uh, yeah, I've watched the demos for Generations. It may have gotten rid of the button prompts, but the gameplay in the Modern Sonic levels is still linear as fuck. It looks like 90% of the time the player has no control over what he does aside from occasionally jumping once or twice to gain height or some shit like that. As far as I'm concerned, that's hardly an improvement over Unleashed's QTE-fest since its still the game doing 90% of the work for you and now its just you doing actions without an actual button appearing on screen telling you what to do, but its still very scripted gameplay in that regard.
It really isn't any more linear than Sonic Adventure 2 is. City Escape has a bunch of alternate paths all over the place while the original was basically just a corridor. I'm not defending Unleashed because it has a lot of problems, but as someone who played Colors and saw all the improvements it brought to the table, I'm fairly convinced that Generations will be an improvement from Unleashed. Green Hill is basically an Unleashed stage with less kill the player-isms but City Escape is basically taking Colors' level design or branching paths and solid 2D platforming and applying them in a bigger scope.

If you want some examples of branching paths they have some here and here which is basically what I love about Sonic games.

Green Hill has a bunch of short cuts, but yeah it's linear, which makes sense because it's the first level.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I'm not saying that Sonic Adventure 2's Sonic stages weren't linear, myself, but they supported a totally different type of gameplay on the whole, for better or worse (as in you weren't constantly running through the level and had to slow down to handle some platforming segments every now and then with the homing attack and other upgrade abilities you got along the way). The point is, whether you could put up with that game's controls or not, it did at the very least require more player input. To me, Sonic Unleashed took great looking stages with interesting designs and laid them all to waste with heavily scripted gameplay (that's mainly what I meant when I said it was linear), in that outside of QTEs you barely seemed to have any control over the character. Even if it has branching paths, I still get that same vibe from the modern Sonic levels shown so far in Generations. Don't get me wrong, I'm not out to bash the game, and I hope I'm wrong about those levels when I get a chance to play them myself, but so far they just feel to be lacking player input about as much as the Unleashed levels. What I DO like about them is that they influence the classic style levels, though, in that how you handle certain situations in those levels can affect the path you take in the 2.5D levels. That said, the point that I'm trying to make is that so far the modern gameplay levels seem to have very little actual "gameplay" so to speak (in that more than half of the time it shows Sonic running and super-fast speeds down a corridor or limited path that you have little to no control over.

Here's hoping that later videos and actually getting to play the game myself when it comes out prove me wrong, though.

Foggle

The Generations demo is coming out tomorrow, isn't it? I guess we can see for ourselves how it plays.

gunswordfist

I hate it when developers make sequels that are nothing like the previous games. See Prey and Far Cry. They should have just made new IPs
Quote from: Foggle on June 22, 2011, 08:52:26 PM
The Generations demo is coming out tomorrow, isn't it? I guess we can see for ourselves how it plays.
Fuck....yes!