Things That Bother You About Gaming

Started by Spark Of Spirit, May 17, 2011, 03:10:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

Yeah, Unleashed is heavily scripted for the most part. I fucking hated Jungle Joyride for instance which was way too long and was filled with a lot of things you couldn't do, but it gave you the illusion that you could because of the Unleashed game design that limited the gameplay. At the time I was just thankful it was a step up from the crap we were getting that I sort of forced my way through the game. But with Colors, they ditched it (though there ARE automated parts in some levels, I'm not forgiving those) and instead relied on exploring the level and using wisps to score big in the game. My hope for this game is that they're going to take what they learned from Colors and expand on it and with City Escape's wider field of play, I think they are headed that way. But there's no way to know yet.

Either way, I hated the amount of QTE's in Unleashed since not only were they ridiculously long with little time to react, they interrupted the flow of the level and frequently lead to death if failed. I'm glad those are gone now.

I'm going to smoke that thing as Classic Sonic ASAP.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Spark Of Spirit

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Rosalinas Spare Wand

Reminds me of the development history of Sonic Xtreme.

The scariest part is that according to a lot of posts in there, that kind of work environment isn't too uncommon in the entire industry. Considering just how much work goes into the average current-gen games these days, its no wonder studios are closing up left and right.

Foggle

gunswordfist

"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Foggle

This, the Online Pass shit some games have been using recently, and UbiSoft's "brilliant" permanent internet connection DRM scheme are just further proof that all publishers want to do is ass-fuck gamers this gen.

Spark Of Spirit

Capcom has not made one single good decision since Inafune left.

Rynnec

Quote from: Desensitized on June 27, 2011, 04:11:56 PM

Capcom has lost any shred of respect and acknowledgement I once had for them.

If it weren't for Megaman Legends 3 and to a much lesser extent; Street Fighter, I'd pretty much be done with them.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Rynnec on June 27, 2011, 08:23:18 PM
Quote from: Desensitized on June 27, 2011, 04:11:56 PM

Capcom has lost any shred of respect and acknowledgement I once had for them.

If it weren't for Megaman Legends 3 and to a much lesser extent; Street Fighter, I'd pretty much be done with them.
Hey, nice seeing ya. I agree about MML3. If they don't cancel it, anyway.

It's pretty much all I want from Capcom now.

Rosalinas Spare Wand

Quote from: Foggle on June 27, 2011, 03:03:03 PM
the Online Pass shit some games have been using recently

That's the one EA is using right? The one where a fresh game comes with a passcode to activate some online modes, and otherwise can't be reused or reset if it gets lost or sold off?

Seriously, that one sounds like the most fucked up one to me. It wouldn't be so bad if the offline multiplayer was anywhere near as in-depth as online is, but with how EA runs things, they'd probably rather get rid of that and force consumers to pay to play.

Rynnec

If you ask me, most DLC (like costumes, characters, stages) should be free. Period.

Foggle

Quote from: Rosalinas Spare Wand on June 27, 2011, 09:30:48 PM

That's the one EA is using right? The one where a fresh game comes with a passcode to activate some online modes, and otherwise can't be reused or reset if it gets lost or sold off?

Seriously, that one sounds like the most fucked up one to me. It wouldn't be so bad if the offline multiplayer was anywhere near as in-depth as online is, but with how EA runs things, they'd probably rather get rid of that and force consumers to pay to play.
Yeah, that crap. I know the new Mortal Kombat and F.E.A.R. 3 use it, as well as some racing game I forgot the name of. If you buy the game used or lose the code, it's $15 to play online. That's seriously messed up.

I remember at one point Epic Games was thinking about forcing people who bought used copies of their games to pay $5 to access the last 20% of the single-player content. Stupid shit, and sadly I can't see something like that being too far away with the way things are going.

Quote from: Rynnec on June 27, 2011, 09:32:53 PM
If you ask me, most DLC (like costumes, characters, stages) should be free. Period.
Definitely. Only significant content packs (like the Borderlands DLCs) should be charged for.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on June 27, 2011, 09:36:01 PM
Quote from: Rosalinas Spare Wand on June 27, 2011, 09:30:48 PM

Yeah, that crap. I know the new Mortal Kombat and F.E.A.R. 3 use it, as well as some racing game I forgot the name of. If you buy the game used or lose the code, it's $15 to play online. That's seriously messed up.

I remember at one point Epic Games was thinking about forcing people who bought used copies of their games to pay $5 to access the last 20% of the single-player content. Stupid shit, and sadly I can't see something like that being too far away with the way things are going.

Quote from: Rynnec on June 27, 2011, 09:32:53 PM
Definitely. Only significant content packs (like the Borderlands DLCs) should be charged for.
Actual stuff that was made AFTER the game was released is fair game to me. They're just like expansion packs. Unlock keys are fucking sickening.

Foggle

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

You know, I hate it most when stuff was originally supposed to come with a game then some dumb-ass higher-ups decided took it out and forced it to come out as DLC instead. That's what happened with Ninja Gaiden II's mission mode and costumes.

Oh yeah, here's a good example of how DLC SHOULD be done: After Ninja Gaiden came out Itagaki still wasn't done with it so he wanted to add things that he didn't originally have time to put in the games, thus he created Hurricane Packs 1 and 2, which boosted the story mode with enhanced abilities, new weapons, and new enemies and even a harder difficulty mode. And guess how much he charged for it....there actually is no answer to that because it was released completely free of any charge. That's fucking amazing when you consider how impossible that story sounds if it were to happen today. (Also, he released Ninja Gaiden Black for people who didn't have XBOX Live such as myself....and he charged half-price for it on the get-go when it released....fucking genius).