Things That Bother You About Gaming

Started by Spark Of Spirit, May 17, 2011, 03:10:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

Is it harder than Returns? Because that game was difficult as hell without being frustrating (rocket barrel levels and a couple others aside). If it's much more challenging than that, I could see people considering it "too hard."

Then again, this is IGN we're talking about. They thought the new Rise of the Triad on normal was too hard. That's just sad.

Spark Of Spirit

It's actually not harder than Returns, the difficulty is actually more well balanced and even than that game. And that's without throwing in the items, second hits on mine carts and rocket barrels, multiple partners, and better checkpoint placing.

But it's a 2D platformer. You have to find something to whine about.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

My brother has continuously made the argument that DKC Returns isn't that hard because you can easily buy 30+ lives when you need to, weakening the punishment of tougher levels.

I think that's kind of irrelevant to how much of a beating you can take from levels, though.

Spark Of Spirit

I had over 90 lives by world 2. Lack of lives is not a problem here.

The levels themselves are just better paced and have more clever design than DKCR which also allows for clearer level design. The challenge comes from conquering the levels, but there's nothing overly hard here and losing your partner is no longer as much of a gimp as it is in Returns. As far as DKC games, it probably has the smoothest difficulty curve.

If IGN had to play the SNES games (or picked up Returns again) they would quickly realize that Tropical Freeze really isn't as hard as they think it is.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

I actually didn't think the SNES games were all that hard, except maybe DKC2. It has some hard levels, but I'm sure that if I picked up DKC1 today, I could get through the entire game in 2-3 hours without too much struggle.

Eddy

Tropical Freeze was pretty hard but, with the abundance of lives and the checkpoints, it was far from impossible. Also, what is that guy talking about? 20 minute boss fights? With the exception of the final boss I didn't really find any of the bosses that frustrating. They were all fun and creative.

Spark Of Spirit

Tropical Freeze actually has the best boss battles in the series, in my opinion. Just hard and clever enough to be fun for replays.

gunswordfist

Unless they prove the game is broken, I never take claims of a game being too hard seriously. I hate it when points are taken away because the reviewer thought a game they beat was too hard.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Eddy

Did one guy say Tropical Freeze would be better if the Wii U had a library "as strong as its competitors"? Not only does this not make sense, either game is good or not, it doesn't matter what else is on the console, but I can only assume he's talking about the XBONE and PS4. What vast library is on those consoles? I can think of one or two games that might be worth playing on them as of right now. And one of them is just a port of Tomb Raider.

Spark Of Spirit

What he's saying that Retro should have made Metroid Prime 4 because a "shooter" would bring them more in line with their competitors.

Basically another case of bashing the game for not being what they wanted.

Foggle

Quote from: Eddy on March 03, 2014, 06:35:44 PM
Did one guy say Tropical Freeze would be better if the Wii U had a library "as strong as its competitors"? Not only does this not make sense, either game is good or not, it doesn't matter what else is on the console, but I can only assume he's talking about the XBONE and PS4. What vast library is on those consoles? I can think of one or two games that might be worth playing on them as of right now. And one of them is just a port of Tomb Raider.
Exactly, that argument makes no sense. The only good titles on the PS4 and Xbone right now are upscaled ports of last gen games and maybe Dead Rising 3. And shit, the Wii U actually has backwards compatibility and upscales games without the need for porting... so, by their logic, Nintendo's box is actually the strongest current gen console at the moment.

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on March 03, 2014, 06:47:46 PM
What he's saying that Retro should have made Metroid Prime 4 because a "shooter" would bring them more in line with their competitors.
Which would be missing the point entirely, because Metroid Prime was literally just a 3D version of the traditional games - it was never about shooting. Goddammit IGN.

Spark Of Spirit

As long as it's first person and has a gun (and dual analog aiming) I doubt they care about anything else.

Rynnec

http://www.gamerheadlines.com/2014/03/mass-effect-4-negative-stereotyping/

QuoteThe Mass Effect veteran went on to discuss how gaming consistently fails to tackle issues like ?misogyny, sexism, racism, ethnocentrism, nationalism, ageism, ableism, homophobia, transphobia, queerphobia and other types of social injustice.?

Considering the skill of the average videogame writer, that's probably a good thing. :sweat:

Also, Bioware must be desperate for money if they're making a ME4.

gunswordfist

So they decided to make 4 before a prequel? How stupid. If they make a prequel and the weapons are more advanced in that then it's going to be really stupid.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Rosalinas Spare Wand

Quote from: Rynnec on April 15, 2014, 10:42:46 PM
QuoteThe Mass Effect veteran went on to discuss how gaming consistently fails to tackle issues like ?misogyny, sexism, racism, ethnocentrism, nationalism, ageism, ableism, homophobia, transphobia, queerphobia and other types of social injustice.?

Yes, this is exactly why I play video games. I need bleeding heart liberals to expose me to the injustices of the world through their filter.