The Boondocks

Started by Avaitor, December 30, 2010, 03:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LumRanmaYasha

I doubt it was an intentional Her parody. The movie didn't come out until last December, and this episode's script had to have been finalized at least a year ago considering Boondocks's production schedule.

Personally, I enjoyed it and loved the escalating craziness of the situation, though the ending was a bit abrupt and out of nowhere.

Avaitor

I've been trying to not say too much about the season, since I hope to do a review when it's over, but the ending is part of a problem that I've been having with the season as a whole.

And I guess it's fair that it would have been too soon to be a Her parody, especially since the show has never been particularly timely. It did have some good moments, though.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

LumRanmaYasha

Yeah, the majority of the endings for the episodes in this season feel like they just got stuck at wherever they were at in the script and just hashed out a hasty way to wrap the central conflict up, but fail to actually create a sense of resolution, so everything just feels fizzled out and the experience of the episode as a whole is brought down. Aside from the endings, though, there really have been some lame eps this season, like the "Freedomland" and "Grandadd Dates A Kardashian" (I think the latter is the worst episode in the entire series to date).

It's also strange that every episode this season is about Robert. I love Robert, I find him a funnier and more interesting character than Huey or Riley, but he is only one of three main characters and shouldn't have been the focus of every episode in this final season. In fact, he works better more as supporting character or sharing focus with another one than as a solo central one, and the best episodes of the series reflect that. Well, I just hope the season finale gives focus to all three Freemans equally and gives the series a proper sendoff.

Daikun

Well, it's over. Final thoughts?

LumRanmaYasha

It was a decent episode, but not at all series finale material.

Overall, I kind of wish the fourth season hadn't had been made. The show basically devolved into self-parody for most of these episodes and most attempts at satire were basic and cliche in the handling of the subject matter. A couple pretty terrible episodes came out, and the whole Freemans in debt plotline went nowhere. One thing I will say is that the Freedom Bus episode is probably among my favorite episodes of the series, but even that episode can't really justify this seasons' existence. Now, I don't hate it or anything, but season 3 was a much stronger season to end the show on than this one was.

The Boondocks was a great show overall, but it's time has come, and I think that's for the best.

Daikun

Avaitor

I'm not too surprised. After Rick and Morty, this is their biggest original of all time (I know it's technically Sony's, but still). and now that they're losing the Fox shows, they really need the hit.

As long as they can get McGruder back, that is. Without him, there's no point.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

LumRanmaYasha

I enjoyed the fourth season fine enough, but yeah, the show really needs McGruder to run it - he was the heart and soul, and it was directionless without him. Perhaps their plan to bring it back is why they've been playing the show more often on [as] these days, to keep it fresh in people's minds for its eventual return. But I'm all for it coming back if McGruder's on board, since I think the show could get a lot of great satire out of skewering today's social and political climate.

Dr. Insomniac

Yes, please bring back McGruder. Season 4 of Boondocks was the Mind of Mencia to Season 1 through 3's Chappelle's Show.

Daikun

Sony just confirmed its return on Twitter.

The use of the word "re-imagining" is concerning. :whuh:

Dr. Insomniac

Maybe this means we'll get Caesar back.

Daikun

Avaitor

Kinda surprising, but I can understand it. HBO Max probably needs the hit as much as [as] does.

New blog!

Dr. Insomniac

RIP John Witherspoon. A huge part of what made Boondocks funny was his performance. Whoever McGruder gets to replace him has big shoes to fill.