Game of Thrones

Started by Lord Dalek, April 07, 2012, 11:19:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

Damn it, Missandei, get your shit together.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

While I would normally talk about this in the video game thread, nobody over there really seems to watch or read GOT, so I thought that I'd just mention it here. A friend and I played through Telltale's first episode of their Game of Throne tie-in series that they are working on right now. To be fair, it's a point and click adventure and completely story driven, rather than being a traditional game.

All things considered, so far as tie-ins go, we both thought that it was pretty decent for what it was. You take multiple perspectives from members of House Forrester, and they are clearly meant to be an analogue to the Starks, albeit they are a much lesser house. Some familiar faces show up in the first episode, such as Tyrion, Ramsay, and so on. Out of all of them, Ramsay is portrayed particularly well. And actually seems to have the most to do with this particular story, so far. The choices really remind me of KOTOR/Mass Effect's dialogue sequences, except it's much harder to pick the right decision because just trying to be the good guy, unlike in those games, can seriously fuck you over. In this episode alone your choices don't seem to have too many reprucussions until you reach the very end of the episode, but the previews for the next episode indicate how important a part they will play later on.

It's not as great as the show or books, but it's interesting enough to keep me coming back for more when future episodes drop. Just FYI, you could watch the multiple decision routes in their entirety on YouTube, so there's no need to actually buy the game for yourself.

On another note, I've been reading more of the third book, and I liked the scene where Robb Stark brought up to Catelyn that he wanted to legitimize Jon Snow as his heir should he fall in battle, which I know was because he didn't want the rights to Winterfell to fall in Tyrion's hands, but it also shows how much trust he has in his bastard brother to carry on the family legacy. I understand why the show cut that scene out, but it was just nice to read in the book.

Oh yeah, and it's old news, but this season we will finally be getting flashbacks. What do people think about that? I'm not sure how those will play out, since what I've seen in the books so far aren't really flash-backs as much as they are specific character takes on past events (which may not be entirely true), but it would be a nice way to further flesh out the lore of this world for show watchers.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I kind of wish I could see those episodes that they will be airing in IMAX, but it just won't be possible from where I'm at, unfortunately. At any rate, now that I've caught up to the books, I thought that it'd be fun to post about the things that I prefer from each version. I'll start with characters:

Top 5 Characters Done Better In The Show (So Far):
Arya Stark
Robb Stark
Jorah Mormont
Bronn
Tywin Lannister

Top 5 Characters Done Better In The Books:
Ramsay Snow/Bolton
Theon/Reek
Varys
Petyr Baelish/Littlefinger
Jon Snow

Interestingly, it's mostly the protagonists that the show manages to nail, but I feel that it cuts out a lot of the nuance and general plot points that make the more villainous or morally ambiguous characters in the book so interesting. While I'm cool with Ramsay's pretty amusing portrayal on the show, his and Theon's plot really does feel like it got hacked up in translation to the show. Theon's story-line is one of my favorite parts of ADWD, so I'm hoping that season 5 manages to finally do it proper justice this time. I am bummed out to see so many other story-lines getting cut out, but I can completely understand why. I just wish that Young Griff didn't have to be one of those casualties.

Still, I'm really pumped for the next season of the show, and am actually glad to see that it's going in a very different direction than the books, sine it'll still hold plenty of surprises for me.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

On another note, I have a legitimate question, here:

What exactly are the producers going to do after this season? Based on how much they are cutting out from the books, they'll be caught up with ADWD by the end of the season, for the most part. So, is the show just going to come up with its own conclusion from there (which I'm totally fine with, as long as it's well-written), or will it go on hiatus?

Dr. Insomniac

GRRM told the producers the ending on the chance that he would be unable to finish writing the books.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

So, in other words, massive spoilers for book readers? Bummer.

I honestly wouldn't have minded the show going in its own direction, since it deviated so much from the books as it is, but on the other hand, at least it'll probably make for a more fitting finale.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

It's in low quality, but here is our first look at season 5: http://youtu.be/ZMKhdDlKHNE

Some huge changes from the books, yet the show still looks more epic than ever. I can't wait.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

High quality version of Game of Thrones Season 5 Trailer is up!

http://youtu.be/ZDb4sJVK2wU

Peanutbutter

Man, I just want the show back already. I miss Tyrion, Jon, Arya, Daenerys, Brianne, and Sam so much......

And I ESPECIALLY miss Jaqen (or as I prefer to call him, Jaqen the Medieval Ninja).  :cry:

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I have to say that, surprisingly enough, my favorite story-line from ADWD is Theon's. I really hope that they don't skip too much of it in this season.

Also, Cersei's story-line will be incredibly entertaining. I won't spoil anything for anyone, but for a character that I've always hated, she somehow had the most interesting things happen around her throughout AFFC.

Of course, the biggest story-lines this season will be from Danaerys, Tyrion, and Jon.

Oh, and going by the trailer, it looks like Jaime and Bronn will be in Dorne. I'm really interested to see where that goes.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

New Trailer of Game of Thrones Season 5: http://youtu.be/vwRdVw82Jd8

I'm still super pumped. I'm most interested to see how they handle Jon Snow's character arc and the Dorne plot, since those seem to be the biggest changes from the book, which makes them less predictable, which makes me more excited to see them. Tyrion's also looks to be different, but I have a pretty good idea of where it's going.

Dr. Insomniac

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

One day, maybe 10 years from now, some kid who watched this will get all nostalgic about SM and come across this skit again. They will then get curious about what it was parodying and check out the show, at which point they will have the most amazing "WTF" reaction to anything ever. :lol:

I love how they just casually mock/reference murder, betrayal, beheadings, and incest. Just as child-appropriate as ever....

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I loved the season premiere. Very different from the books, but in a good way, for the most part.

They didn't do much with Tyrion in this episode, but his exchanges with Varys and the general chemistry between those two characters is excellent.

Jon Snow killing Mance before the fire could make him screen was a big risk, but just foes to show how much respect he really had for the guy. Of course, since this is GOT, don't expect that action of his to just go away without any consequences. Stannis will remember.

Cersei realizing right away that Jaime let Tyrion escape is one of the better changes from the books, and makes her out to be less stupid and narrow-minded. I also like that they stared off the episode with flash-back to the prophecy she heard when she was a child, though, noticeably they cut out the bit about the "Valonquar," which indicates that they may not be doing anything with that aspect of the prophecy in the show.

Littlefinger and Sansa didn't do much in this episode, either, but at least they managed to drop off young Robert in a safe place so that they can focus on more important business without him getting in the way, and it appears that Brienne and Pod are close by.

And finally, Dany has her hands full dealing with The Sons of the Harpy, and also must now deal with political problems in terms of refusing to reopen Daznak's Pit, as well as the fact that her dragons hate her now.

Several other characters were noticeably absent from this premiere, but such is expected when you have too many characters to deal with. I'll be really interested to see them in future episodes, as well as how current story-lines play out.

Avaitor

This was a pretty typical Game of Thrones premiere, in that it reintroduces most of your favorite surviving characters, while giving hints towards how the majority of their stories are going to transpire this season. But after five seasons, the formula is well known and still used strongly enough to allow this to not be a negative at all, but rather a welcome return to the show we love. Great stuff.

There were plenty of strong dialogue moments throughout, but the opening and ending sequences in particular contains some of the best direction in the episode, but the latter isn't surprising, as the Night's Watch's sequences are usually among the best paced. Jon's shot to Mance was a great touch, done perfectly. And considering how the show has been diverting from the novels, I'm excited to see what direction this year goes from here on out.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/