Boy/Girl Meets World

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, January 02, 2011, 06:57:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

That's an odd victory for a Disney Channel show, but that seems to be the result they were hoping for.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

I've watched the first two episodes, and I like it so far, although more as a return to the characters I love than as a new show. Riley and her friend are okay (they remind me of Cory and Shawn, in a good way), but Riley's brother and Farkle are annoying me a little so far. It's a kid's show though, so it's expected that there are annoying characters in it.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

Not too dissimilar from Morgan and Minkus in season 1, then? I do hope as it goes the characters get more fleshed out than that.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

The way I see it, this season is styled very much after BMW's first season. The first 2 BMW seasons were by no means great, but they were arguably necessary, doing a good job of establishing the characters and subtly developing them over time, so that when season 3 finally came around, you could buy that the characters were acting a bit more mature by that point and slowly taking on more mature subject matter. It also made it more rewarding to flesh them out at that point when you look back at where they had started.

Avaitor

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on July 02, 2014, 03:02:58 PM
Not too dissimilar from Morgan and Minkus in season 1, then? I do hope as it goes the characters get more fleshed out than that.
Oh, very much true. I have to admit, I didn't miss Minkus or Morgan's full-time involvement much at all.

I'll definitely take Jacob's word for it to stick around, since it seems like the show definitely has the potential to get more entertaining as it goes along. Right now, it seems like it'll appeal to regular Disney Channel fans who aren't familiar with the original now, while Cory and Topanga are enough to keep older people interested. I'm excited to see it get how it goes along.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Avaitor

Can you guys see this? I'm not sure if you need a D23 account for this one or not.

But yeah, some more info about the show if you want~

New blog!

Avaitor

I just watched the most recent episode, and this is working its way to a being the BMW successor we were hoping for. It's definitely still a Disney Channel show, but the heart is there, and the humor's a little sharper than in most live-action Disney shows, so it's hard to diss.

New blog!

LumRanmaYasha

I totally forgot they were airing it already.  :sweat: New eps are on Fridays, right? I'll make sure to set my DVR so I don't miss them from now on. Good to hear the show's improving!

Avaitor

Yeah, Fridays. I usually forget until a couple of days, which is why I'm kind of late, heh.

And it's about time I changed the thread title, similar to Avatar.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

It airs during the second episode of Korra. Brutal timing.

I've only seen the first two episodes, but it's finding its footing sure enough. I still think it feels rather out of place with the other Disney Channel shows, though it probably feels out of place on any network.

Avaitor

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on July 15, 2014, 05:03:02 PM
For Korra. :P

Really though, it's strange to see the spin-off for the 90's show do better than the one for the 00's show. But that's what is happening so far.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Avaitor on July 15, 2014, 05:07:55 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on July 15, 2014, 05:03:02 PM
For Korra. :P
Natch.

Quote from: Avaitor on July 15, 2014, 05:07:55 PMReally though, it's strange to see the spin-off for the 90's show do better than the one for the 00's show. But that's what is happening so far.
So far it looks like GMW might become Disney Channel's flagship show, not to mention the ratings they're getting from people who otherwise don't watch the network.

Meanwhile, I didn't even know Korra had started before checking an internet message board. I flick past Nick all the time and have never seen a commercial for it. Actually, other than Sam & Cat, I don't think I've ever seen them advertise anything new.

Avaitor

Not to mention how S&C just ended, and Nick seems to be holding SpongeBob on hiatus until it's closer to time for the movie to come out.

Nick is just out, man.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I feel like the ratings for Korra are more of Nick's fault than the show's fault. This is actually shaping up to be the strongest Korra season, so far, but hardly anyone's watching it because Nick barely bothered to tell anyone that it was on.

Anyways, as for GMW, I just saw episode 3 and it was definitely a huge step up. The humor was a lot sharper and it had that classic  BMW after-school message without feeling way too overbearing or corny. And it presents a very modern problem with kids these days. And yeah, the show definitely has heart to it. As far as the main cast of kids go, Maya is shaping up to be my favorite. At first it seems like she'll be a trouble-maker just like Shawn was at the beginning of BMW, and she sort of is, but she also has a surprising amount of maturity to her and is very supportive of Riley. If this were any other kids show airing on Disney or Nick, she'd just be obnoxious and loud-mouthed for the sake of it, because modern kids television tells kids that being loud and obnoxious without rhyme or reason is funny. Since this show has actual writers who deserve to be called writers, the characters have much more substance than that, even if they are just kids.

Avaitor

I like how Cory just gave her a phone at the end of the episode. Obviously he feels a connection to Maya since she reminds him of Shawn, which is sweet, and makes sense. Cory's grown up, but he hasn't forgotten his past.

It'll be really interesting to see what happens when he gets on the show.

New blog!