Mike, Lu & Og

Started by Mr. Big, August 13, 2013, 01:29:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Big

Of all the Cartoon Network shows that debuted in the 1990s, this is one of the more forgotten ones. "Mike, Lu & Og" only ran for 26 episodes from 1999 to 2001 before it was cancelled.

I'm wondering if anyone here remembers it. Here's the theme song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDimvHDRXb4

I remember watching it. It was pretty dull, I thought. I think this was supposed to be Cartoon Network's answer to Klasky-Csupo, which was becoming big on Nickelodeon at the time. Co-creator Chuck Swenson worked on Rugrats at one point.

One thing I remember is me wondering why a girl was named Mike. Apparently it's short for "Michelanne"

LumRanmaYasha

Yeah I remember it. Used to come on Boomerang frequently until two years ago. Honestly not a great series, but I wouldn't call it awful either. It's more in the "okay" category. However, it's been a long time since I've seen it myself, so how good it is overall isn't something I can really judge, right now.

Foggle

I remember this show. I don't believe I ever watched it, but I recall the ads very well.

Daxdiv

I remember trying to watch it, but it did nothing for me. Other than that, I only remember Og being a character in that one Cartoon Network crossover game where everyone was on their summer vacation at this resort.

Goldstar

Mike, Lu & Og was strictly middle of the road. Not terrible, but not great either. Each episode followed the same basic theme: Mike would mention something that she had in the city. Og would build said thing and introduce it to the natives. Wackiness ensued. It didn't last long, and when it ended, no one seemed to be too surprised or disappointed.
The Star Twins + cartoons + geek speak =Twinsanity!

Avaitor

I actually watched this one fairly regularly, in my "I"ll watch anything on CN but please cut back on the Scooby" phase, but I couldn't really tell you what I like about it now. When I tried to watch it again now, I can see why this one never caught on. Compared to everything else on the network, this was way more childish and bland then anything else on the channel.

Which in a way makes it slightly fascinating to look at today.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Lord Il

Man, this show must've flew right by me.

Quote from: Mr. Big on August 13, 2013, 01:29:38 AM
I think this was supposed to be Cartoon Network's answer to Klasky-Csupo, which was becoming big on Nickelodeon at the time. Co-creator Chuck Swenson worked on Rugrats at one point.
Yeah, I just watched a promo for it in addition to your link and have to say the character designs are very Klasky/Csupo to me. Looks like CN was trying to steal some thunder from Nick back then. I guess that didn't work so well.

Daikun

Quote from: Mr. Big on August 13, 2013, 01:29:38 AMI think this was supposed to be Cartoon Network's answer to Klasky-Csupo, which was becoming big on Nickelodeon at the time. Co-creator Chuck Swenson worked on Rugrats at one point.

That explains sooooo much now...

I remember when I saw the premiere way back in 1999. I'd grown tired of Nickelodeon the year earlier and jumped ship to CN. When this show premiered on CCF, my immediate first impression was, "What's a Nicktoon doing on this network?" :wth:

It's funny that this show premiered on the same night as Courage the Cowardly Dog. It was like CN's apology. :sly: