"The 50 Best Shootemups I Have Ever Played" Part II - The Run and Guns

Started by Lord Dalek, July 11, 2011, 10:18:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Dalek

All right lets finish her up.

05. Gunforce II

Gunforce II (AKA Geo Storm) is often thought of as the spiritual predecessor of Metal Slug as they shared development teams. It sure does feel like it at times. Murky gray and blue graphics, vehicles, hostages that give you weapons, they're all here. The only thing Gunforce II lacks over Metal Slug is MS's trademark sense of wacky arcane humor.

4. MERCS

MERCS is the true Commando 2 and it manages to leave its admittedly great predecessor in the dust. Capcom added a third player to the mix and a lot more variety to the kinds of locals you'd be fighting in. This game has one of the coolest vehicle modes ever since when you're playing three player, each player does something different on the Jeep. Like another CPS1 title from 1990, 1941 Counter Attack, MERCS is an incredible overhauling of a classic design that makes it probably the best in its class.

3. Metal Slug 3

SNK was going bankrupt right as this game was coming out and as such it really is a last hurrah. Metal Slug 3 could be argued that it is just more of the same but that would be unfair to it, its a longer more epic adventure with a grand finale that blows you away with its sheer rediculousness. Metal Slug 6 comes close to reinvigorating the series but its really hard to live up to this masterpiece.

2. Gunstar Heroes

Is Gunstar Heroes the greatest run and gun ever? No. Is it so damn close that making a decision between 1 and 2 extremely hard and reduced to a coinflip? Yeah. Gunstar Heroes is not only a damn good shmup, its one of the best games on the Genesis PERIOD. It might even still be the best game Treasure has ever made (pretty impressive considering its their "debut").

And now...

1. Contra III: The Alien Wars

Contra III is an amazing achievement that shows what happens when an incredibly talented development team is handed a pretty impressive piece of hardware (the SNES) and asked to go wild. The intensity of the game is only matched by its epic boss fights and truly amazing stage designs (the best in the franchise). Its also easily the hardest Contra ever. No Konami code in the US version, and you have to beat the game on hard to get the ending. If that's not an accomplishment I don't know what is. LETS ATTACK AGGRESSIVELY!!!

Spark Of Spirit

Gunstar Heroes is one of the best games of all time. I have yet to run into anyone who loved 16 bit games that dislikes it, it's just pure awesome in cartridge (or download) form.

But, um, I'm not really the biggest Contra 3 fan. I dunno what it is, but it just isn't as fun to me as the first two or 4. I mean, it's a fantastic game and one of the best, but... something feels off whenever I play it.

Metal Slug 3 is the best arcade shooter by far, and probably SNK's best non-fighting game. X is close, though.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

I am glad Metal Slug 3 made it. I was lucky enough to have that as the very first Metal Slug game I've ever played. An old friend rented it for XBox, I believe and us and my oldest little brother played it. So much fun.

I wish Astro Boy made it though. I didn't know Gunstar Heroes was Treasure's first game
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Kiddington

Gotta agree with Desen here; Gunstar Heroes is an absolute delight, and truly one of the best games of all-time (as far as I'm concerned, anyway). Honestly, I would have gone with it at #1 myself... but hey, 'ya know; not my list. Heh.

You can't really go wrong with Contra 3, though. It's a toss-up either way. That one's a fine title in itself.

Lord Dalek

I think you have to be in the right mind set to enjoy Contra III. The first time I played it, I was completely blown away. Nevermind my utter futility at it. It was just so awe-inspiring and grandiose.