Sonic The Hedgehog

Started by Spark Of Spirit, January 16, 2011, 09:45:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

Aquarium Park is a zone in Colors. It's pretty much the first Sonic game since Sonic Adventure 1 where Sonic doesn't seem to instantly die when touching water, and it's the first dedicated water zone since Hydrocity in a main Sonic game.

It's also- as anyone who has played Colors will attest to, one of the best parts of the game.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

Not sure if I mentioned it to you guys yet. But I actually wouldn't mind if Sonic ended with Sonic Generations. I know it wouldn't happen, but it does seem like a good place to stop... Then again, if they can continue making good games after this, I wouldn't mind Sonic staying.

Anyway, what's you guys' favorite game in the series?

Avaitor

As long as Sonic remains profitable, Sega will be making plenty of games for him in the years to come. His peak may be gone, but I don't see the franchise ending for a while.

And probably S3&K.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

talonmalon333

Quote from: Avaitor on October 12, 2011, 05:17:49 PM
As long as Sonic remains profitable, Sega will be making plenty of games for him in the years to come. His peak may be gone, but I don't see the franchise ending for a while.

True. Although...

I'll always firmly believe that the series should have ended with SA2. The series would have been golden. I also hold true to the argument that Sonic WAS supposed to end with that game. Shadow died, Eggman turned good, Rouge quit being a thief, Tails gained his own independence, and Knuckles... eh, his story was already complete. FINALLY, Sega was dying, so it makes sense that they would have wanted to have given it a finale.

Then Sonic Heroes came and, despite not remotely being story oriented, somehow managed to destroy every single part of SA2's ending. Then Shadow the Hedgehog tried to explain those unanswered questions, ending up not making sense at all (Seriously Gerald Robotnik was good? :??:). FAIL.

Quote from: Avaitor on October 12, 2011, 05:17:49 PMAnd probably S3&K.

100% in agreement.

Spark Of Spirit

If Sega stops making Sonic games, they'll probably go under as nothing they make sells nearly as well worldwide, so at the very least as long as the games are still good then they can keep making them.

Also, S3&K.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

Quote from: talonmalon333 on October 12, 2011, 04:33:06 PM
Not sure if I mentioned it to you guys yet. But I actually wouldn't mind if Sonic ended with Sonic Generations. I know it wouldn't happen, but it does seem like a good place to stop... Then again, if they can continue making good games after this, I wouldn't mind Sonic staying.

Anyway, what's you guys' favorite game in the series?
I hate you.

I consider Sonic 2 the greatest 2D game of all time.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

talonmalon333

Quote from: Desensitized on October 12, 2011, 05:37:34 PM
If Sega stops making Sonic games, they'll probably go under as nothing they make sells nearly as well worldwide, so at the very least as long as the games are still good then they can keep making them.

Also, S3&K.

Oh yeah, I agree. While Generations would be a nice place to end, I'd rather them continue if they CAN make more good games.

Quote from: gunswordfist on October 12, 2011, 05:42:46 PM
I hate you.

Let me speak for everyone on this forum: I hate you too.

Quote from: gunswordfist on October 12, 2011, 05:42:46 PM
I consider Sonic 2 the greatest 2D game of all time.

Close. I'd call it second best.

GaryPotter

I refuse to get excited about this game. The last Sonic game i was looking forward to was Sonic 2006. We all know how that one fared. I'm hoping this will be good, but I'm not judging it until I actually play it.

talonmalon333

Who do you guys think are the worst characters in the series?

Rynnec

Quote from: talonmalon333 on October 15, 2011, 11:36:22 AM
Who do you guys think are the worst characters in the series?

I actually don't really hate any of the game characters. There are some who grate on me, and some who I think have untapped potential or could've been done better, But for the most part I like them.

Outside of the games though, Chris and Sally would have to be the worst.

Avaitor

Anyone created for the games besides Sonic, Knuckles, Tails and Robotnik.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

If you count the 3D games, then there are a plethora of other characters, such as Shadow, Silver, Big the Cat, Amy, and various other characters that nobody really gives a fuck about. Actually the only new character from the 3D games that I did kind of initially like was Shadow, but that was ONLY in Sonic Adventure 2, where going by story-canon he died after the fight with the Bio-Lizard. After they brought him back and tried to pass him off as some bad-ass in the Sonic Universe....yeah, he got REALLY fucking annoying.

Avaitor

Amy's been a part of the franchise since Sonic CD, but didn't really gain notoriety until like Adventure. Maybe it's because I was so used to how she was portrayed in the comics as a creeper, but I never liked her.

It's funny, most of my friends that like Sonic love Shadow, but I don't like him at all. He's basically an emo-fied version of Sonic. He does show some kind of potential to be a more interesting character, however. I think if they ever try to make another Sonic cartoon, they should treat him like they did with Eddie Brock/Venom in SSM and build up as to why he's made this way and give us a reason to care about him. They tried to do that in the games a little, with Maria, but not enough to make him any more than passable in SA2.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Well, he was never a great character, but I wouldn't call him an emo either, as that's not really the right way to describe him (he barely even qualifies as angsty). He's more of a guy who tries to act tough, though comes off as silly since, well....he's a fucking hedgehog....

At any rate, I still say that he was interesting enough in SA2, and it was really only towards the end when you found out more about his connection with Maria that they tried to go the sympathetic route with him. At any rate if you didn't like him in SA2 then I can't imagine how you'd react to him in any of his later appearances in the Sonic games. I mean, even I sort of liked him in SA2 and I couldn't even tolerate his appearances in any Sonic games after that. I think that he should have just stayed dead for good, back when he at least had a small shrap of dignity as a character. But....then again, in the long-run its kind of irrelivant since I don't play Sonic games for story when I really think about it. :D

Avaitor

Well, I didn't exactly hate him in SA2, but he also wasn't one of my favorites. He definitely became less likable after that game, though.

But yeah, the Sonic games aren't beloved for their narrative. I still really want to see an animated series that takes some of the best aspects of the SatAM series, the comics, and especially the games, and roll them up into one experience, but who knows if that'll ever happen. It's one of my dream projects, actually.

New blog!