Sonic The Hedgehog

Started by Spark Of Spirit, January 16, 2011, 09:45:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

Yep, they're good (Advance 1 is great, even)... Sonic has pretty much always been great on portables, though in my opinion the Rush style is starting to get old.

I'm also hoping for Sonic Pocket Adventure to get added to the 3DS VC eventually, if we ever get Neo Geo Pocket Color games on it.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

So, I'm playing Sonic Advance 1, and its pretty decent, but I have to admit that coming straight out of the Genesis games, the physics and overall feel of the Advance games (or at least the 1st one which I am currently playing) is REALLY different from that of the Genesis games. The graphics and overall look, as well as the sound effects and music, feel more like their own entity, which isn't necessarily a bad thing but it doesn't feel quite like what I'd expect from a Sonic game. That said, in terms of level design and overall gameplay, its still been pretty faithful to the core Sonic experience so far, so really what I said was just mere nitpicking, but I felt like mentioning it.

Spark Of Spirit

Yep, it's a bit different but still quite the fun game. Egg Rocket Zone is one of my favorite zones (despite a few cheap hits it has), and the rest of the zones are pretty cool too. I'm not a big fan of the special stages, though, but to be honest the Advance games are pretty bad with special stages.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Modded the PC version of Generations to add these songs to the custom track list:
Aquarium Park Act 1
Quartz Quadrant - Past (JP)
Ice Cap Part 3 (the snowboarding song from Adventure)
The Stardust Speedway (JP) remix from this game
Secret Base Act 1

It's pretty awesome, I must say.

Foggle

According to Steam, I've gotten 18 hours out of Generations so far.

Not bad for a 1 hour game.

Spark Of Spirit

Gotta love replay value.

I have 30 hours on my Colors save.

Daxdiv

I know I have about 5 hours on my Steam version and that holds the distinction of being the one where I somehow beat the final boss. I'm not even sure how I did it that one time. I know the controller isn't an issue since I do have a wired controller to play computer games with. I mostly use it for platformers since I can't really get used to playing those with keyboards. FPS are one thing, but keyboard and mouse is another.

Foggle

The keyboard controls for Generations are horrifyingly bad. Never, ever attempt to use them.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I know through general estimates that I have played at least 12 hours of the game (it probably more around 15 hours, but I don't have any way to be sure just how long I've played the game for). Of course I spent 1-2 hours just trying to beat that damned last boss, but overall I got a solid amount of time out of the game despite its short length, and to be fair I never completed all of the challenge mission so the game would still last me a little longer if I decided to complete those, but to be honest they really bore me.

At any rate, I do think it has great replay value going for it, but now that this game has proven that Sonic is back on track on a quality level, I'd love for the next Sonic game to come to the HD consoles to include more zones with that same level of quality. Of course we still have that upcoming DLC to look forward to. My prediction is that it'll be 3 new zones (each with a classic and modern Sonic act, obviously), 1 new boss fight, and a bunch of additional music that comes along with it for beating their respective challenge missions. It'll probably be priced at an equivalent of $15, which for an XBOX360 owner would be 1200 MS points.

GaryPotter

Got a hold of a copy of Sonic Heroes for the Xbox. Decided to try it out again after nearly eight years.

What a clumsy game. The levels just go on and on and never end. And Cream's voice makes me sick.

Spark Of Spirit

Sonic Heroes is probably the most disappointing Sonic game ever released. Not worst; most disappointing.

It sounded good on paper. Nothing but platforming and speedy Sonic gameplay with Tails and Knuckles tagging around like in the classics. Brighter and more classic style art as well as bigger levels. Less focus on story, more on the gameplay. Team based gameplay would allow you to switch and take new routes. Like a classic game in 3D.

It sounded good.

Then you play it, and the execution is the definition of bad. The controls are slipperier than the games before it for no real reason. The team based gameplay is completely botched where you are forced to switch characters whenever the game wants you to instead of doing it whenever you want to (to which there's no point as there are no alternate routes about 95% of the time) and the flight formation is a total waste. The levels are bigger, yes, but instead of wider with more explorations, they are just twice as long with the same things happening over and over. Enemies take more than one hit to kill... Which in a Sonic game is crazy. Instead of an overabundance of story, we have the characters who NEVER STOP TALKING about annoying stuff during the game... That's not any better. And the levels have no levels to them, they're all just highways over the sky and glorified hallways. Also, that pinball level is horrendous especially because the physics are terrible, I don't know who decided to make a pinball level based around these controls, but man are they bad.

Then they took the wrong lesson, kept all the bad stuff and scrapped the few things Heroes got right, and made Shadow and Sonic '06. Man, that was a bad time to be a Sonic fan.

Spark Of Spirit

Something I'm sure everyone here would appreciate:

Sonic Generations Full Ending Medley featuring all the tracks from the HD stages as well as the 3DS ones.

Could do without Radical Highway, though. Such a boring track.

GaryPotter

Well, I'm going to do it.

I'm going to dedicate myself to getting 1000 in Sonic 2006.

Wish me luck, I'm going to need it.

Foggle

Spark Of Spirit

Someone needs to play all the main 3D games starting from Adventure to Generations and document their experiences.

But playing Sonic 06?? Ouch.