Favorite Manga

Started by Spark Of Spirit, August 15, 2011, 01:40:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

It's nice to see someone else here is a Beck fan, too. Not to mention someone else who really enjoys Vinland Saga. Good list all in all, you even have most of my favorites in there!

A good chunk or Urasawa, too.  8-)
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I believe that Infinity Gauntlet was also a 90's comic.

Also, as for the list, aside from Urasawa, I also like CX's Takehiko representation. He's such an underappreciated mangaka. Yes, Slam Dunk is excellent, but many people seem to ignore that he has two other very high quality manga that are still currently running.

Spark Of Spirit

Every era has good comics. You just have to know what they are.

But if we're talking mainstream superhero comics, then the argument could be made. But that's only one type of comic. And it's a type of comic that has very much fallen into irrelevance these days.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Would you happen to know what era has a good chunk of superhero comics in a similar tone to AEMH or TSSM? Because I totally want to read those.

Dr. Insomniac

Foggle

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on February 12, 2015, 01:24:46 PM
Would you happen to know what era has a good chunk of superhero comics in a similar tone to AEMH or TSSM? Because I totally want to read those.
The Ultimate Spider-Man comic book is basically TSSM with slower pacing, and the sequel series with Miles Morales is a really good new version of the same concept. I haven't read either in years but I remember them being extremely good.

Spark Of Spirit

Spider-Girl and Blue Beetle. Neither run anymore if I'm not mistaken.

EDIT: To be specific, I'm talking about pre-New 52 Blue Beetle. I think the New 52 one was canceled as well.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I've heard good things about both, and I've really been wanting to read more stuff about Blue Beetle.

As for USM,  I read the first few volumes quite a few years ago and liked it quite a bit, but I am interested in checking out the stuff about Miles Morales.

Though, in the subject of the 90's, while I can't speak for Western comics, it certainly was a great decade for manga, wasn't it? The list of classics are almost endless. Just off the top of my head:

Yu Yu Hakusho
Level E
Monster (most of its serialization)
Rurouni Kenshin
Slam Dunk
Dragon Ball (Namek arc)
Hajime no Ippo (at its peak)
Shounan Junai Gumi
Great Teacher Onizuka

Plus there's more stuff that I still haven't gotten through or started reading yet, such as the later JJBA arcs and City Hunter, among other things.

LumRanmaYasha

Those are all superhero comics I've had on my own backlog for a while. They all seem really up my alley, I just need to find some copies and read 'em.

Thanks for your comments, Markness and Spark!

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on February 12, 2015, 01:16:28 PM
Also, as for the list, aside from Urasawa, I also like CX's Takehiko representation. He's such an underappreciated mangaka. Yes, Slam Dunk is excellent, but many people seem to ignore that he has two other very high quality manga that are still currently running.

I've seen his works get plenty of attention from well-read manga circles, but I suppose it's true that they aren't as talked about by the general manga fandom that primarily read the newer and most popular/mainstream titles. As for myself, I love REAL and Vagabond intensely, and find them on a level above Slam Dunk, though I am still a big fan of that series.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on February 12, 2015, 01:27:04 PMThe new Ms. Marvel.

Somehow I missed this. Thanks for the recommendation, I'll be sure to check it out. :thumbup:

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on February 12, 2015, 02:30:04 PM
Yu Yu Hakusho
Level E
Monster (most of its serialization)
Rurouni Kenshin
Slam Dunk
Dragon Ball (Namek arc)
Hajime no Ippo (at its peak)
Shounan Junai Gumi
Great Teacher Onizuka

+

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Parts 3-5: (Stardust Crusaders, Diamond is Unbreakable, & Vento Aureo)
Berserk (the Golden Age arc)
Ranma 1/2
Sailor Moon
Eagle
Detective Conan
Parasyte
Ghost in the Shell
Master Keaton
Uzumaki
H2
Basara
Boys Over Flowers
Battle Angel Alita
Banana Fish
Rokudenashi Blues
Hell Teacher Nube
Ghost Sweeper Mikami
Ushio and Tora

...Among others I've read or heard good things about.

Spark Of Spirit

Spider-Girl I particularly liked because it felt like the obvious next step for Spider-Man and it had a lot of good story turns and ideas. Also, it has an actual ending, which is nice.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

For some reason I always thought that Parasyte was an 80's manga.

LumRanmaYasha

It started in the late 80's but most of it was serialized in the 90's.

gunswordfist

i hear both 90s comics started a lot of bad trends in addition to having a lot of great titles so it's kind of weird and hard to tell what the general opinion of the era is.

as for 90s comics, some of my favorites are scud the disposable assassin and deathstroke full cycle. if there's one good thing the 90s did for western comics, it's assassins! lol
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody