Favorite Manga

Started by Spark Of Spirit, August 15, 2011, 01:40:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Also, I wanted to talk more about it earlier, but I also felt like beyond just being a damn well-written manga, Ashita no Joe managed to affect me on a personal level. I'm sure that applies to many people's favorite works of fiction, as that's why it's their favorite. That doesn't mean that everyone will get the same mileage out of it that CX abd myself did, but I still do consider it to be an essential read.

What resonates with me most about the manga is it's specific approach to the theme of moving forward with your life, despite past circumstances, tragedies, or failures. Yet, whereas most shonen manga glorify thus development as nothing but growth with no major setbacks or consequences, AnJ feels a bit truer to life, in that the path of Joe's growth as a character is not a smooth ride to the top, but a rocky and even dangerous hike through peaks and vallies, as Joe's life goes through various highs and lows, which is ssomething that I can really relate to.

What's particularly interesting about Joe is that he's a character who has a tough time letting go of certain aspects of his past, which depending on which point of view that you look at it from, is either a major strength or flaw if his character.

Avaitor

Man, that really is a cool list, CartoonX! I really need to read more manga.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

gunswordfist

cx's list really makes me want to read more manga. it's inspiring because of the number of subject matter that was talked about and how some of the titles clearly moved him.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

CX's list also reminds me of some manga that I need to pick up again.

Quote from: Avaitor on February 12, 2015, 04:37:42 PMMan, that really is a cool list, CartoonX! I really need to read more manga.

I'm using it as a reference point fir some manga that I still need to read, myself.

Incidentally, I still try to use your top 25 Marvel stories list as a reference point, as well. I just don't really have mych money to spend on comics, though (I'm considering subscribing to Marvel Unlimited if it's a good service, though).

gunswordfist

i tried starting on his list as well. i didn't get around to reading thor in time. maybe next time.

Avaitor

One of these days I'll make a revision of that. I'll also consider a similar list for DC and Vertigo (separate ones for them, of course), but there is much that I need to get around to first.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

gunswordfist

that would be wonderful! my favorite comic book is under the vertigo label.

LumRanmaYasha

Spark Of Spirit

I thought I'd cobble a list of the top 10 SJ series that I've really enjoyed over the years. But this won't just be restricted to manga: I'll also include anime adaptions if they improve on the original source material I'll specify the version I'm listing when I write it down. Keep in mind, I also haven't read/watched a lot of series in a looooong time, so I probably won't end up ranking them here no matter how great they are. So, without further ado, here's the list.

Top 10 Shonen Jump series:

1. Rurouni Kenshin (manga) - I do think of this as the ultimate shonen before every manga had to be about high school kids. Action, adventure, romance, good vs. evil, memorable characters up the wazoo, and an ending that nails everything down, Rurouni Kenshin is the total package. Sure, Watsuki will probably never top it, but then, no one else probably will either.

2. Dragon Ball (manga / "Dragon Ball" anime) - This was the one that made me a fan of anime and manga in general. What has surprised me is how well the first half of the manga has aged and how Toriyama kept it fresh for so long. Though I'm not crazy about the post-Frieza material, it's still one of the best for a reason.

3. Slam Dunk (manga) - Slam Dunk is pretty much THE sports manga and anime, but besides the awesome games and the funny comedy is a set of characters you learn a lot about whether in their personal lives or just why they enjoy he game so much. It also makes you empathize with them and really root for the team to make that last basket. This is a level that sports manga rarely ever explored and why so few of them can match up to Slam Dunk. It's not just about how cool the game is.

4. Yu Yu Hakusho (anime) - As well recorded in our current discussion thread, YYH holds up exceedingly well. While the last arc isn't quite up to the genius of the rest, it isn't enough to bring down the quality (unlike the manga) and gives the series a very satisfying conclusion. Usually when I think of battle manga, this is the series I compare them to.

5. Bakuman (manga) - A manga about making manga that also a pretty good "battle" manga of its own. A colorful cast of characters, a story that never really stops throwing curves at you, and a great ending that will have leave you thinking about how stories can truly change everything, Bakuman is and probably always will be one of my favorite manga.

6. Kimagure Orange Road - There are few shonen romcoms I feel standout, but this one practically invented them all and still remains the benchmark for me. If they can't reach this level, I just can't read them for long.

7. Death Note - Though it falters a bit in the second part, it doesn't change the fact that the first half and the ending are about as good as thrillers can get. Nail-biting from start to finish with a great character dynamic, Death Note is great. Even if there is a faction of fans out there that continue to miss the point and idolize a mass murderer. But that's hardly the work's fault for that.

8. World Trigger - For what started as a very straightforward sci-fi manga quickly developed into a smart battle manga with an interesting world, characters, and setting, and backstory, that gets me more eager to read it every week. Its pacing is pretty on the mark, too.

9. My Hero Academia - Yes, it's very new with only a year of chapters under its belt, but it just keeps getting better. If it keeps the pace up, it'll probably end up climbing far up the list.

10. Psyren - I'm not sure why I like this one as much as I do. It might be the old saying that execution is everything because Psyren never really falters in its storytelling except for the final rushed arc because SJ wanted to end it earlier than the story called for it. Otherwise, it's just a very well made series.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Excellent list!

10. I liked what I read of it, but it's been so long that I'll eventually have to start from scratch and read the whole thing.

9. I loved the beginning. Then the Sports Festival arc happened, which I didn't like. It has slowly been winning me back with the improved material since then, though.

8. I do really need to continue this one.

7. It's flawed, but I will always love it. This was the first manga that I ever read, and when the writing was good, it was a top quality series.

6. I need to read this.

5. Love it. I still prefer Death Note, but Bakuman is amazing.

4. This is still the best of the genre when it comes to anime adaptations. I don't care what anyone else says. That's just fact. But while the anime is superior, make no mistake, it's still Togashi's brilliant writing at the core of this story that makes it so compelling. He provided the anime staff with the perfect template to work from....except for the Three Kings arc. But, don't ever deny Togashi credit for Chapter Black.

3. Sports and comedy at its finest. This is only Takehiko's third best manga, and it's the best of its kind. It really says something about how insanely talented this man is.

2. I'm more than half-way through re-reading this manga, and it's astounding how well it holds up. People who have only ever watched the anime really do have a misinterpretation of how brilliant this series truly is, and how well it flows in its original format. It's also my second favorite SJ manga, and Toriyama really is a true master if his craft. Additionally, the Buu saga is excellent in its original format. As someone who used to hate it myself, it does wonders to re-read it with a different mindset. What's truly amazing is how this manga goes on for so long and maintains a consistently high level of quality throughout. It only ever falters during the Cell saga, and even that arc is still ripe with memorable, iconic moments.

1. I don't even need to say anything, here. I agree with you wholeheartedly. Rurouni Kenshin is to Watsuki what The Godfather is to Puzo; it may be his one and only true hit, but it will always stand the test of time as a masterpiece of its genre.

gunswordfist

Damn....I assumed Puzo was this great author with a library full of great works. Flipped my world right upside down.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Nah, He couldn't even get most of his other books to sell decently. The Godfather was what he struck gold with.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Just for fun, I'll do my own list, but stick to manga since YYH would be the only superior anime adaptation from WSJ.

10. Yu Yu Hakusho
9. Hikaru no Go
8. Eyeshield 21
7. One Piece
6. Bakuman
5. Hunter X Hunter
4. Death Note
3. Slam Dunk
2. Dragon Ball
1. Rurouni Kenshin

JoJo's might make it on there once I finally get back to it, and if Parts IV and VI are as good as I've heard.

Also, while I prefer the anime, I still maintain the opinion that YYH is a great manga up through the end of the Chapter Black arc. Three Kings really does hurt its overall status, though, far more than Greed Island does for HXH, or the Cell saga does for DB.

As for Eyeshield 21, it's probably my third favorite sports manga behind AnJ and Slam Dunk (REAL is Slice of Life more than sports, IMO) for how unique and hilarious it is. It has a cartoon style and sensibility to it, and while Slam Dunk also has lots of comedy, I admire how ES21 just goes bat-shit insane and creative, and it's refreshing to see a sports series that doesn't ever take itself uber-seriously. It has its dramatic moments, to be sure, but the majority of it is just brilliantly nuts. Whereas something like KnB can be almost unintentionally funny at how over the top it is because it actually tries to take itself too seriously, ES21 relishes in its ridiculous nature for pure entertainment value, and that's why I love it.

One Piece would have been higher, for me, but the post time-skip content has dragged it down a bit in my overall rankings. The legendary run that it had between Water Seven to Marineford will still cement it a spot as one of the best of the genre for years to come, though. Anyone who wants to dismiss the series without having seen its best content, though....well, it's only your loss.

I'm pretty much in complete agreement with Desensitized about what my three favorites are.

Spark Of Spirit

Also good choices. I debated including HnG and E21 on my list, but they just missed the cut. I also have to read/watch a lot of series I don't have on there such as City Hunter and OP I haven't read or seen enough of it to give it a rank.

HxH is just controversial enough to not make my list, but I do admit it deserves the fanbase it has. Even if a lot of them are pretty nutty about it.  ;)

I would be interested in seeing what CX would put up as his list.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Yeah, I can understand how its inconsistent quality can be a turn-off, and I despise most of the fan-base, myself. However, I'm a sucker for great writing in the form of interesting characters and intriguing story concepts, and when HXH gets it right, which is more often than not, it does it better than any other shonen that I've seen or read, and that's saying a lot.

As for controversy, though, the first quarter of the Chimera Ant arc with all of its needless shock value is the only part that I outright see as controversial. Any other problems with the series are just the result of poor writing. But like I said, the good far outweighs the bad, for me.