Most Anticipated Movies

Started by Spark Of Spirit, January 14, 2013, 08:46:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

It looks like Jim Carrey was right about Kick-Ass 2.

Ah well. I'm just hoping that Machete Kills lives up to the hype.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Hmmmm....Judging by the kind of ratings that this movie is receiving so far, it may be safe to assume that its TOO faithful of an adaptation to the original source material, given how much everyone hates that for the piece of shit that it is (or so I've heard).

Foggle

Quote from: Avaitor on August 17, 2013, 02:37:07 PM
It went from being a movie I was really excited for to "guess I'll check it out on DVD... maybe...".

gunswordfist

Quote from: Foggle on August 17, 2013, 02:48:50 PM
It went from being a movie I was really excited for to "guess I'll check it out on DVD... maybe...".
I just remember him saying it was too violent....my kind of flick. :sly:
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Foggle

Quote from: gunswordfist on August 17, 2013, 02:58:32 PM
Oh yeah, Jim Carrey's comments actually made me want to see it more. But it currently has <30% on RT, so... :(

gunswordfist

Quote from: Foggle on August 17, 2013, 02:59:23 PM
Quote from: gunswordfist on August 17, 2013, 02:58:32 PM
Oh yeah, Jim Carrey's comments actually made me want to see it more. But it currently has <30% on RT, so... :(
Yeah, celebrity tears sells me movies

Avaitor

I know that they cut the rape scene out. Christopher Mintz-Plasse confirmed that. I'm not sure what else they kept in though.

I would pull out the fact that critics aren't always right, but then again, this is a movie that would be very easy to fuck up. Look at the source material.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on August 17, 2013, 02:47:41 PM
Hmmmm....Judging by the kind of ratings that this movie is receiving so far, it may be safe to assume that its TOO faithful of an adaptation to the original source material, given how much everyone hates that for the piece of shit that it is (or so I've heard).
The only reason the first film was any good was because they diverted from the source material. I can't understand why they wouldn't keep doing it.

It's worse than Old Man Logan. (NOBODY POST ANYTHING FROM THAT PLEASE)
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Daxdiv

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on August 18, 2013, 11:20:56 PM

I have no idea what the fuck that is before entering this thread.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on August 18, 2013, 11:20:56 PM
Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on August 17, 2013, 02:47:41 PM
The only reason the first film was any good was because they diverted from the source material. I can't understand why they wouldn't keep doing it.

I hope you mran that OML got a terrible animated movie because the comic is great.

Silverstar

I still haven't seen the first Kick-Ass. Based on what I've seen of these films in ads and trailers, I never had any desire to see them. Kick-Ass just looks...stupid to me. Like somebody decided to make a movie about those vigilante dorks who run around the streets in homemade costumes and are dubbed "real-life superheroes" by perky local news anchors. No, they aren't real-life superheroes. Superheroes by their very definition have super powers. No powers = not a superhero. Those guys are just cosplayers who take it too far. If I want to see guys in tights and flashy costumes beat the snot out of each other, I can watch UFC or pro-wrestling.
Twinsanity - the Star Twins' blog. Cartoons. Pop Culture. Comedy. Opinions. Commentary. Analysis. Geekiness.

Foggle

Quote from: Silverstar on August 19, 2013, 07:55:29 AM
I still haven't seen the first Kick-Ass. Based on what I've seen of these films in ads and trailers, I never had any desire to see them. Kick-Ass just looks...stupid to me. Like somebody decided to make a movie about those vigilante dorks who run around the streets in homemade costumes and are dubbed "real-life superheroes" by perky local news anchors. No, they aren't real-life superheroes. Superheroes by their very definition have super powers. No powers = not a superhero. Those guys are just cosplayers who take it too far. If I want to see guys in tights and flashy costumes beat the snot out of each other, I can watch UFC or pro-wrestling.
The trailers are godawful. The movie is witty and loaded with fun action scenes.

Goldstar

I'm not too surprised that Kick-Ass 2 isn't breaking any box office records. R-rated super hero flicks generally don't do well commercially. This is primarily due to the fact that a movie with an R rating can't be targeted to kids, which means that the producers can't launch a line of mass produced, over-priced toys and other merchandise based on the movie.
The Star Twins + cartoons + geek speak =Twinsanity!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Silverstar on August 19, 2013, 07:55:29 AM

I think the reason that Kick-Ass works (at least as a movie, as I haven't read the original comic) is BECAUSE it is self-aware of the fact that its premise is stupid. It doesn't take itself too seriously, and is more of a satire of superhero flicks than an actual superhero flick itself. It's also not really trying to be realistic at all. The movie is loaded with tons of over-the-top action sequences that quite honestly make The Dark Knight look plausible in comparison.

The film's definitely not for everyone, but for what it is, it was really entertaining.

Spark Of Spirit

It also doesn't have some of the really dumb plot twists that the comic has.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton