Started by Avaitor, July 01, 2011, 08:29:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peanutbutter

Cyma being gone is still having ripple effects it seems.

Daikun

Daxdiv

Why are people treating old information as new? I thought this was something we knew about during aftermath of the movie.

Dr. Insomniac

Daikun

EDIT: debunked lol

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Daikun on August 13, 2020, 11:28:58 PM
Turns out Netflix doesn't get Avatar at all.

They want a more "mature" version with sex and blood. :whuh:

Good thing they bailed.
And that tweet turned out to be clickbait published by Andy Signore. I could believe budget issues were at play, but shoving in sex? Doubt it.

Avaitor

Yeah, it sounded pretty suspect to me. Avatar's a kids show at the end of the day, and it's not like Netflix doesn't know how to have success with staying PG-13 at the heaviest. Stranger Things is right there.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Daikun

Daikun

Daikun

Well, Netflix's adaptation is a disaster...even more than usual.

Sokka's actor is a white supremacist and Avatar News is blocking anyone who brings it up.

Daxdiv

Comic-Con revealed that the first of the animated Avatar movies will instead star a more aged up group of the Gaang rather than Kiyoshi. Gonna be pretty interesting to see what adventure they're gonna come up with. Please be better than the comics.

Avaitor

I've been doing a rewatch of the series again and I'm about halfway through season 2. I think it speaks for itself, the show still slaps. A couple of things I've noted from the first season:

-The only episodes that I'd consider misfires are "The Great Divide" and "The Fortuneteller". Their themes work well enough, but I think the former is a little too heavy handed and don't love the end reveal, while the latter isn't really worth the trip IMO.

-Zuko and Iroh are still my favorite characters, and I usually look forward to their scenes. Zuko's attitude can get a little tiresome, but hell, I was an angsty teen too, and luckily Dante Basco does a terrific job playing him. No notes on Iroh, though. Could listen to Mako play him all day.

-Although I also appreciate Sokka a bit this time. I think he works best in Walter White mode, when he's funniest when he doesn't try to be funny. His attempts at comic relief are hit or miss, but he's also a little less irritating than I remembered, and is right more often than not. If anything, he may be the least selfish of the Gaang.

-The animation tends to be a little too showy sometimes, almost Don Bluthy to the point of distraction. I think the show cuts back on this as it goes along and is much more delightfully fluid.

I'll share notes on season 2 when I finish it. I wanted to post this earlier, but I was busy over the past few days, especially with my mom in town.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Dr. Insomniac

It's been ages since I watched through all of Book 1, but I remember it took a while for Sokka to go from the blatant stunt cast because Nick thought this show needed that firefighter kid from All That to a genuinely worthwhile member of the team. Some of the lore takes time to set in too, like how Aang needs to use the Winter Solstice to talk to Roku, but then he can basically talk to him whenever after that episode.

And the thing about Iroh I don't often see talked about is how he implicitly still has faith in the idea that Zuko winning his father's respect is a worthwhile endeavor. Even after the episode where we find out Iroh was right there in the front row watching Ozai burn his son's face, it takes until next season and a few Azula skirmishes for him to decide maybe this isn't worth it. Didn't Book 2 or 3 reveal he was a White Lotus member too? So what was he gonna do if Zuko succeeded in capturing or killing Aang?

Avaitor

Oh yeah, I forgot to talk about it, but I did finish my rewatch a week or two ago, and it's still a very good show. I think that I've seen the reception change to the third season being the best, but I'm still in favor of the second. I feel like it takes too much time to get back into the story until we hit the Day of Black Sun, and the first half is largely a little too slow for my liking, although I think every episode is at least good.

And I do enjoy "The Beach". It's a fun diversion that offers us more time to explore Mai and Ty Lee than previously, and I really like the attempts it does to humanize Azula without making her too sympathetic. Who knows, maybe a well-adjusted boyfriend would have been good for her. Honestly, in terms of the "lighter" season 3 episodes, I think I even prefer it to "The Ember Island Players".

But honestly, I think the second season has the most worthwhile action and pacing of the series. It's also when it feels complete compared to the first season. Toph and Azula were the missing pieces that the show needed.

New blog!

Dr. Insomniac

It's funny. I remember the hiatuses between episodes in Book 3 being a lot longer than they really were. Probably because of how much a slow burn Book 3's first half is, filled with too many standalone episodes that are fine and a few of them are pretty good, but they get in the way of the "Oh yeah, the world's screwed" feeling Book 2's ending gave.